Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 8 Apr 2001, 05:13 (Ref:78553)   #1
Gerard
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Gerard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to Autosport, McLaren team boss Ron Dennis has called for a code of conduct to be introduced for Formula 1 teams in order to reduce the amount of espionage in the pitlane.

Photographs taken of rival teams' machinery is often used by F1 outfits to keep abreast of the technical innovations which are so important in keeping cars on the pace.

While Dennis accepts that an amount of spying is bound to take place, he believes measures should be put in place to prevent team members loitering around rival teams' garages.

'I think it's inevitable,' said Dennis. 'This kind of thing goes with the pitch. It's a very competitive sport and taking pictures of other people's cars is an understandable practice as long as you don't overstep the line, like taking pictures inside the garage at night.'

'I don’t particularly like other team members standing in front of the garage during practice. I would rather have a code of practice, because it would be the same for everyone.'

Eddie Jordan agrees with Dennis and says the ease of poaching information is all too easy, but if teams did not do it, then they would quickly fall behind.

'Unless you have some sort of control on photography,' said Jordan, 'it is too easy to give away your scientific bit of knowledge. I personally have never done it, but I'm sure my team probably has. If they did not, we would be crazy.'

Teams have attempted to take action against 'spying tactics' by using screens in front of their garages, but the move angered Australian Grand Prix boss Ron Walker in Melbourne and the teams agreed to remove them.

A control on photography? Isn't that a breach on journalistic freedom? Does this mean, in future, all pitwork will be done behind closed doors?
And isn't this another step forward to alienating motorsport enthousiasts?
Old 8 Apr 2001, 12:47 (Ref:78623)   #2
FormulaMag
Rookie

FormulaMag should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In Melbourne the teams had boards in front of their garage. Couldn't see anything, only lights and tops of heads!

Couldn't get a decent shot of a car.

*url snipped by Gerard*
Our rules state it is not allowed to use signature files or advertise your site in every post, that's what the Cool Sites forum is there for. Thank you for understanding.
Old 8 Apr 2001, 21:05 (Ref:78713)   #3
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But the new front wing on the McLaren does look an AWFUL like the Ferrari one.......

What?? WHAT??!!! I am incinuating NOTHING!! Not even a hint!!
Old 8 Apr 2001, 22:30 (Ref:78749)   #4
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
An item in the Sunday Times seemed to suggest that teams could work out the RPM of an engine and the power from the digital TV broadcasts. Software is available that will complete this task in less that a second. It is in the sports section of todays paper (8 April)

Simon
Old 9 Apr 2001, 00:27 (Ref:78779)   #5
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How long before the screens surround the cars as they race?
Old 9 Apr 2001, 05:30 (Ref:78821)   #6
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
*url snipped by Gerard*
Our rules state it is not allowed to use signature files or advertise your site in every post, that's what the Cool Sites forum is there for. Thank you for understanding.
Thank you, Gerard.

Don K
Old 9 Apr 2001, 10:29 (Ref:78858)   #7
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
I really cannot see what photography of cars in the pits can possibly reveal that they cannot find out from photos during the race or, as Simon pointed out, from digital TV. The secrets now are within the computer engine mapping, and computerised car control, come end of April. However, I do agree that visitors should not walk up to the cars and touch anything or interfere with anyone working on the cars. I just think that Ron Dennis wants to moan about something again.
Old 9 Apr 2001, 11:09 (Ref:78865)   #8
F1Rumors
Rookie

F1Rumors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Solutions...

Quote:
Originally posted by Valve Bounce
I really cannot see what photography of cars in the pits can possibly reveal that they cannot find out from photos during the race or, as Simon pointed out, from digital TV. The secrets now are within the computer engine mapping, and computerised car control, come end of April.
Actually, whilst the definition on TV is adequate to make some quite interesting details out, the problem lies with close up high definition photographs, which can pick out the real details, and are very definitely simple to get real measurements from. Whilst, as you say, the big secrets are in engine mapping, traction control is a relatively simple technology, so the advantage of having the "best" tc system over the "worst" is not very high, whilst getting your aero package and suspension geometry copied accurately would be really bad for business...

Quote:
However, I do agree that visitors should not walk up to the cars and touch anything or interfere with anyone working on the cars. I just think that Ron Dennis wants to moan about something again.
Have to agree, but (damn it) what's a fan to do when they can't get clsoe to the action ;-)

Quote:
Originally posted by SL
An item in the Sunday Times seemed to suggest that teams could work out the RPM of an engine and the power from the digital TV broadcasts.
Actually, that is really trivial. All you need to do is listen to the engine -- you can hear the ignition going (that's all the noise!!), and just take into account 10 cylinders, each with one spark per 2 cycles, and you have the rpm. If it takes a minute, then that's cos someone, somewhere, was being "sure" and requiring a big sound sample!!

Anyway -- proposed solution to the spying problem: All teams should be required, as a matter of course, to publish the blueprints for any car entered into a GP, one month from the event.

Boy would that sort the men from the boys, get rid of the cheating (allegations, anyway), and make the sport fun!

Just my tuppence worth...
Old 9 Apr 2001, 11:44 (Ref:78880)   #9
downforce
Veteran

India
Bangalore
downforce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tristan! u hit the bail on the bed!!!!!

I think this whole Ron D whinning thing is to distract the media so they can overlook THAT new Mcmerc wing!!

Thats how i felt the first time i saw it....a CC of the Ferraris.

But then of course in the name of ole Adrian, nobody would dare believe this story....:-(
Old 9 Apr 2001, 14:36 (Ref:78941)   #10
Hans.ca
Racer

Hans.ca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nothing new under the sun

Roger Penske was the past master of trying to keep a secrete. He coined the phrace "to get the unfair advantage". While testing the Can-Am turbo Porche at Mosport, with Mark Donohue driving, every time the body came off a tarp was put over the exposed part. But the team manager at that time was a Swiss, Heinz Hoffer, Roger could not understand Swiss German, so I got all the info I needed in Swiss German.
The following race weekend the same drill was followed, every time the engine was uncovered a tarp went over. As I needed a picture of the engine I devoted considerable time standing in the pit lane waiting for the opportune moment. It came as the mechanics removed the engine cover and they started to slide the tarp in place. I managed to kick the mechanic in the ankle rather hard and he dropped the tarp and I got the picture. That was the first picture of the Porche Turbo engine published, it was in Powerslide and in Auto Motor und Sport.
PS I later made up with the mechanic.
Old 9 Apr 2001, 15:01 (Ref:78948)   #11
F1Rumors
Rookie

Re: Nothing new under the sun

Quote:
Originally posted by Hans.ca
PS I later made up with the mechanic.
But you still assaulted someone who was just doing their job, in order to get the scoop & make a mint...

Just my judgemental tuppence worth...
Old 9 Apr 2001, 16:43 (Ref:78979)   #12
Hans.ca
Racer

Hans.ca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To F1R

Give me a breake, made a mint, don't I wish. You obiously never worked as a freelance photographer. I too was only doing my job.
Old 10 Apr 2001, 08:00 (Ref:79151)   #13
RussianFriend
Veteran

Russian Federation
Moscow, Russia
RussianFriend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Today is more easy to recruit a couple of very smart hackers and pinch the draughts and descriptions from computers. The guys shoting the cars and engines does it more for the usual audience then for profies.
Old 10 Apr 2001, 12:44 (Ref:79225)   #14
F1Rumors
Rookie

Re: To F1R

Quote:
Originally posted by Hans.ca
Give me a breake, made a mint, don't I wish. You obiously never worked as a freelance photographer. I too was only doing my job.
Without condoning violence... consider break given. And I've a very good idea how small the mint was -- you missed the intended irony (that you committed an assault -- albeit minor -- to gain a pittance).

Incidentally, "just doing your job" ? I'll have to remember that the next time I feel the need to get physical with the "object" between me and my task fulfillment!