Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 30 Aug 2018, 21:22 (Ref:3847142)   #1
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
MaximumGroup. Net2019 Touring Car Trophy (TCR)

Just announced by Maximum Motorsport.

MaximumGroup.net Touring Car Trophy (TCT) 2019

Want to drive a Touring Car but don’t have the budget

We have an exciting new race series in 2019 for Teams and Drivers at a fraction of the current Touring Car/TCR cost.

Eligible cars:

TCR to any specification
World Touring Cars
NGTC Touring Cars
S2000 Touring Cars
Seat Super Copa mk2

The MaximumGroup.net Touring Car Trophy (TCT) is being introduced in 2019 to run alongside the current Milltek Sport Volkswagen Cup on the British GT package and similar high-profile events.

We invite race teams and drivers to get in touch with us to find out more information about this exciting new series.

Email: motorsport@maximumgroup.net

Edit- thread title typo, stupid mobile autocorrected TCT to TCR!
Old 30 Aug 2018, 21:45 (Ref:3847147)   #2
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Always like to see new championships but... can't see this working. From that list of eligible cars you'll only be getting TCR cars in any significant number (and judging by TCR UK not that many!) and that still involves the cost of buying a TCR car, so not really that cheap.

WTCC (I assume TC1) cars won't happen, and there are very few spare NGTC cars around. Not sure about S2000 or SEATs.

Good luck to them, but I'm getting the same vibes as TCR UK and BTEC...
Old 30 Aug 2018, 22:17 (Ref:3847152)   #3
MissClarrpz
Racer

MissClarrpz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
It sounds identical to the idea for TC Open that took over from Seat Leon Eurocup.
Quote:
TCR-specification cars...TC1, TCN1 (NGTC) and old Super 2000 models
Literally exactly the same
And sounds similar to DTC when they tried to add TCR to their existing series.
Or like plans to add TCR as WTCC2 to help TC1 get numbers
Or when Creventic created the 24h Proto series and then brought it back for another year
Or when TCR Benelux added Clios to their championship
Or when STCC added Clios to their championship (actually this one worked when they backed down)
Or when Peugeot were going to create a Peugeot only Endurance series from the 308 Cup and other Peugeot series (again it worked when they canned this idea and kept 308 Racing Cup)

Basically. Chances of success are small.
Old 31 Aug 2018, 11:09 (Ref:3847212)   #4
aland
Veteran

Scotland
West Scotland
aland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post

WTCC (I assume TC1) cars won't happen, and there are very few spare NGTC cars around. Not sure about S2000 or SEATs.

plenty of spare ngtc cars, 2 infinitis, 2 audis, 1 proton, a few avensis, insignias, chevy cruzes. okay several might be shells or missing a few bits but i am sure mr mallock will supply parts. 4 s2000 cars in scotland alone, 2 foci and 2 vectras.

it is all about cost, okay you wont have mr gow wanting 10k as a registration fee but ngtc and s2000 cars are fragile and tcr even more so and it doesnt take much to break suspension parts. you might have the option to fabricate your own unline btcc where everything has to have toca stamps
Old 31 Aug 2018, 12:37 (Ref:3847233)   #5
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aland View Post
plenty of spare ngtc cars, 2 infinitis, 2 audis, 1 proton, a few avensis, insignias, chevy cruzes. okay several might be shells or missing a few bits but i am sure mr mallock will supply parts. 4 s2000 cars in scotland alone, 2 foci and 2 vectras.
Most of those NGTC cars have been total stripped back to a shell, or are now show cars. Whilst they could be rebuilt, I don't see that as very likely. The only one I can genuinely see as possible is the HARD Toyota that they use for experience days and have run in Britcar a couple of times, but even that is heavily dependant on getting a rent-a-driver each week.

Don't believe the two Vectras are race ready. There are a few S2000 cars around but I don't see the appeal of running one in this type of series.

WTCC TC1 is a non-starter. Very few cars available and too expensive to run.

Assuming TCR UK continues, I don't see any drivers doing TCT as well - most are struggling for budget in TCR as it is without adding more races in another series. Even if TCR UK folds, I think this is too much of a step down for many drivers - going from known, if poorly supported, formula to a rung-what-you-brung club series.

I suspect we will be able to count the number of entries on one hand.
Old 3 Sep 2018, 20:16 (Ref:3847979)   #6
CaptRustyNail
Racer

CaptRustyNail should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
Most of those NGTC cars have been total stripped back to a shell, or are now show cars. Whilst they could be rebuilt, I don't see that as very likely. The only one I can genuinely see as possible is the HARD Toyota that they use for experience days and have run in Britcar a couple of times, but even that is heavily dependant on getting a rent-a-driver each week.
Rob Austin's former A4 is regularly raced, not sure what in but i have seen pictures on social media. But the rest, other then the Infiniti's perhaps would be just a shell.
Old 3 Sep 2018, 20:21 (Ref:3847980)   #7
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRustyNail View Post
Rob Austin's former A4 is regularly raced, not sure what in but i have seen pictures on social media. But the rest, other then the Infiniti's perhaps would be just a shell.
Runs in Britcar atm. There are a few ex-btcc cars in similar series, think the Arena Focus also runs in Britcar, there's a few Hondas around and the Golf runs in time attack stuff.
Old 12 Sep 2018, 23:23 (Ref:3849744)   #8
PDS
Veteran

England
Medway Towns
PDS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Don't believe the two Vectras are race ready. There are a few S2000 cars around but I don't see the appeal of running one in this type of series.

WTCC TC1 is a non-starter. Very few cars available and too expensive to run.

Assuming TCR UK continues, I don't see any drivers doing TCT as well - most are struggling for budget in TCR as it is without adding more races in another series. Even if TCR UK folds, I think this is too much of a step down for many drivers - going from known, if poorly supported, formula to a rung-what-you-brung club series.

I suspect we will be able to count the number of entries on one hand.
Spot on Redshoes. Couldn't have put it better myself..
Old 13 Sep 2018, 12:51 (Ref:3849864)   #9
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think a lot of people are not really getting the point of this series. This does not step on the toes of BTCC/TCR UK/Historics, but gives car owners extra opportunities to use their cars. There are quite a few Supercopas and TCR cars out there racing in a variety of classes and series, they can now race directly with other touring cars without the high costs of TCR or BTCC. It gives car owners more chance to rent the cars out and it also helps to get younger talent a taste of modern machinery in a competitive environment.
Old 30 Aug 2018, 22:06 (Ref:3847151)   #10
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by medius View Post
to run alongside the current Milltek Sport Volkswagen Cup
So basically grid filler.

They have previously touted around various TCR / VAG related ideas. Has all the hallmarks of a fishing exercise. Target a big enough range of eligible cars and hope enough people bite.
Old 31 Aug 2018, 10:52 (Ref:3847204)   #11
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
This looks to be an attempt to saturate an already full market.

It will either not get going at all, or if it does may cause TCR UK to collapse depending on which of these would be cheaper to run and bring sponsors on board.

Maximum I think are wading into out of depth territory... running a race series I would suspect is a far more demanding task than running small(ish) race team?
Old 31 Aug 2018, 12:19 (Ref:3847229)   #12
redshoes
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Maximum I think are wading into out of depth territory... running a race series I would suspect is a far more demanding task than running small(ish) race team?
Maximum already run the VW Racing Cup series that this will run alongside.
http://www.vwracingcup.co.uk/meet-the-team/4593281044
Old 31 Aug 2018, 14:29 (Ref:3847253)   #13
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Maximum already run the VW Racing Cup series that this will run alongside.
http://www.vwracingcup.co.uk/meet-the-team/4593281044
Must have had my eyes closed, never knew this; I take back what I previously said.
Old 3 Sep 2018, 11:40 (Ref:3847872)   #14
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are lots of eligible cars around running in many different classes - this idea is to bring them together, while trying to keep it fairly cheap.

There is a massive jump in costs from a series like VW Cup to the likes of British GT/TCR UK/Clios, the likely aim of this series is to fill that void.
Old 6 Apr 2019, 06:10 (Ref:3895641)   #15
jungle_007
Rookie

jungle_007 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Well, he's now running TCR UK!
Old 6 Apr 2019, 07:49 (Ref:3895645)   #16
Evantra
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungle_007 View Post
What will we do with the threads!
Old 7 Apr 2019, 21:21 (Ref:3896069)   #17
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungle_007 View Post
To be accurate, his wife is now running it.
Old 4 Sep 2018, 05:24 (Ref:3848055)   #18
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
The problem with throwing an 'umbrella ' over a wide range of cars is that potentially you end up with a 15 car grid (say) with 3 cars from each 'class ', which doesn't always work.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk
Old 4 Sep 2018, 09:20 (Ref:3848094)   #19
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
The problem with throwing an 'umbrella ' over a wide range of cars is that potentially you end up with a 15 car grid (say) with 3 cars from each 'class ', which doesn't always work.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk
And then everyone switches to the dominant class because its the car to have and nobody wants a class win, they want overall glory and a drive for Team HARD.
Old 6 Sep 2018, 19:41 (Ref:3848538)   #20
indigorallye
Racer

England
Cheshire
indigorallye should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know of quite a few Seat Supercopas looking for somewhere to race.
Old 13 Sep 2018, 10:45 (Ref:3849824)   #21
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't see what good further fragmenting touring car racing in the UK would do
Old 15 Dec 2018, 21:23 (Ref:3870573)   #22
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Bump for those who wish to discuss this series.

Team Dynamics with a Civic and Maximum with a Golf confirmed so far.
Old 17 Dec 2018, 07:18 (Ref:3870768)   #23
antnee
Veteran

I think the Dynamics announcement will help this series a lot - seeing a big name deciding to have a play will boost the seriousness of the championship and hopefully make a few others commit.

There seems to be lots of interest around the series on FB
Old 17 Dec 2018, 09:04 (Ref:3870779)   #24
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Having a big team like Dynamics will raise the profile of the championship. That is just what the series needs
Old 17 Dec 2018, 09:20 (Ref:3870784)   #25
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
another nail in the coffin for tcr uk