Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 May 2011, 23:26 (Ref:2880439)   #26
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobdone View Post
Gutted this doesn't look like going through. F1 testing at Silverstone used to be much better than the GP itself. More tracktime, better access, less people. Brilliant!
Me too.

Used to work as a team gofer in the old days (70s) ... it was amazing!
Old 15 May 2011, 21:59 (Ref:2880812)   #27
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Why not nominate 6 races where the circuit will be allowed to run a test day the Monday after a GP, limit it to new drivers (drivers who haven't competed in a GP previously) and 2 sets of each compund of tyres?

Works well for MotoGP.
Old 16 May 2011, 08:58 (Ref:2880945)   #28
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Just make testing optional!
Old 16 May 2011, 10:13 (Ref:2880982)   #29
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Just make testing optional!
Optional for the ones who have money to take advantage of it, thereby widening the gap between the haves and the have nots? I don't think that even teams like Williams would agree to optional testing!
Old 16 May 2011, 22:31 (Ref:2881330)   #30
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Optional for the ones who have money to take advantage of it, thereby widening the gap between the haves and the have nots? I don't think that even teams like Williams would agree to optional testing!
My remark was tongue in cheek!

Williams will object to anything that would help any of the new teams.
The only thing that interests Williams is how to make as much on the bottom line as possible, they have resisted every attempt to give the new teams a fair chance that has been proposed. Testing should at least be available as an alternative to wind tunnel testing.

The new drivers also need more testing to get them up to speed, simulators are all very well, but no real substitute for the real deal.
Also to expect a team that has relatively limited experience to build a car without significant testing is just plain asking the impossible, maybe the new teams should be directly consulted about what testing regime would suit them!
Old 16 May 2011, 23:15 (Ref:2881346)   #31
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
My remark was tongue in cheek!
Bit hard to know without the smilie.

Quote:
Williams will object to anything that would help any of the new teams.
The only thing that interests Williams is how to make as much on the bottom line as possible, they have resisted every attempt to give the new teams a fair chance that has been proposed. Testing should at least be available as an alternative to wind tunnel testing.

The new drivers also need more testing to get them up to speed, simulators are all very well, but no real substitute for the real deal.
Also to expect a team that has relatively limited experience to build a car without significant testing is just plain asking the impossible, maybe the new teams should be directly consulted about what testing regime would suit them!
Williams was just an example. I dare say that several other midfield teams would rather be as close to the front runners as they are now than when they were just a few seasons ago. The 'new' teams would also probably not want to give any advantage to anyone who is given an inch and then takes a mile.
Old 17 May 2011, 12:14 (Ref:2881603)   #32
Mr Pink
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Mr Pink should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by medius View Post
Why not nominate 6 races where the circuit will be allowed to run a test day the Monday after a GP, limit it to new drivers (drivers who haven't competed in a GP previously) and 2 sets of each compund of tyres?

Works well for MotoGP.
This! Maybe not as many as 6 races if the teams object to it but Monday testing, to me, seems like the most sensible idea. Limiting it to new drivers is also a good idea.