Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 May 2011, 11:30 (Ref:2879815)   #1
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Breakaway threat - Part 2

It's certainly that time again, folks!

When there's rules that need changing, money that needs grabbing, you can always count on Luca!

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/91349

Honestly, I can see it happening all over again. In fact, it could be worse/more realistic this time.

Ferrari are indirectly a part of News Corp etc, who i'm guessing would be lobbying for "purer" rules/anti-2013 rules. It'd simply add more meat to Ferrari's demands, which is quite a scary thing.

What will be difficult for Ferrari is the fact that the rest of the teams seem to be anti-Murdoch etc, and seem relatively pro-2013, so to speak.

I must say, as much as it was politics and negative etc, I did enjoy the prospect of seeing some beefy F1 cars (perhaps with varied engines etc) going round the world using some of the forgotten tracks, as we potentially had with this breakaway series.

But it all just seems fantasy and more seems to do with leverage.

Opinions?

Selby
Old 13 May 2011, 11:36 (Ref:2879819)   #2
Spritle
Veteran

Spritle has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I'm in!
Old 13 May 2011, 11:41 (Ref:2879820)   #3
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Me too!

Where shall we race??

Selby
Old 13 May 2011, 11:42 (Ref:2879823)   #4
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
News Corp have also been joined by New York Merchant Bank. So Luca has some more muscle behind his hustle.

http://www.crash.net/f1/news/169180/...rp_f1_bid.html
Old 13 May 2011, 11:43 (Ref:2879824)   #5
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
I just struggle to see how far they can get without the rest of the team's support, too.

But I guess they have to start somewhere. If they can make enough of the right noise, then maybe some may side with them.

Essentially, I suppose it'd be the 'big spenders', you would have thought.

Selby
Old 13 May 2011, 11:46 (Ref:2879826)   #6
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bernie Ecclestone seems to succeed in splitting FOTA. Ferrari opposes the 2013 technical regulations and seems to be permanently unsatisfied with how things go in Formula 1. However, the other FOTA-members seem to be quite happy with the status-quo.
Old 13 May 2011, 11:49 (Ref:2879828)   #7
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Maybe it's that some of the teams think that the current concorde agreement is too fair?

"The clause continues to state that Ecclestone's business "shall not prior to 31 December 2012... confer on any Team any material preferential right, benefit or privilege or discriminate against any other Team or subject it to more onerous material obligations than any other Team." So, Ecclestone cannot pull the same trick he used in 2005 when he gave Ferrari $100m to pull out of one of the many threatened rival series it has been involved with."

http://www.pitpass.com/43576-Teams-o...ms-in-Concorde
Old 13 May 2011, 12:06 (Ref:2879839)   #8
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
AndyS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here we go again! Honestly, this is really getting tiresome and boring. Although F1 is by no means perfect, just bear in mind the damage done to single seater racing in the States with their split. Much as I think they need to go back to the drawing board to some extent, a split for me would be highly damaging.
Old 13 May 2011, 12:13 (Ref:2879847)   #9
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
I can sort of see where they're coming from tbh.

As much as I like the new F1, there are some issues. And there is something up with the 'purity' thing as much as I tried to shrug it off. I think it was after watching that Race of Champions from Brands yesterday, i've found it difficult to forget about it and get on with it..

I also miss the engines. The V8's, 10's, 12's.

To see some fatter/old school Formula One cars decked out in different aero packages with more freedom, and different engines, around tracks that don't require 2 miles of gray tarmac run off, then it'd be quite the spectacle.

But yeah, there's obviously a million and one issues with that.

Selby
Old 13 May 2011, 12:26 (Ref:2879858)   #10
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Won't happen.

Luca and others will blow out hot air, Bernie will butter them up and they'll sign the agreement.
Old 13 May 2011, 12:34 (Ref:2879863)   #11
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Probably right there mate.

The only thing that does make me think is that Ferrari havn't been happy with these new regs for a while now. I can't really see that part changing. Also the fact FIAT (/Ferrari) are bidding for F1 kind of adds a bit of meat on to that.

If they can't have their way, they'd certainly at least need some support from the other teams. They can't have a series on their own........

Or COULD they?

Selby
Old 13 May 2011, 12:42 (Ref:2879870)   #12
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quickly! Pay Ferrari £100 million and tailor the rules so they always win! F1 will never survive without them!!1!1!!
Old 13 May 2011, 12:43 (Ref:2879872)   #13
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England

Selby
Old 13 May 2011, 15:03 (Ref:2879918)   #14
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
Won't happen.

Luca and others will blow out hot air, Bernie will butter them up and they'll sign the agreement.
Only one thing wrong with that theory, there is now someone standing by and willing to act as a promoter where the teams had to fend for themselves last time, exactly what has happened in other sports that a breakaway has occurred in. If News were to succeed in enticing some teams away and then refuse to give any other F1 group airtime who do you think has the upper hand?
Old 13 May 2011, 15:55 (Ref:2879939)   #15
ChrisPage
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
ChrisPage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its like one big game of kiss-chase!

In a year's time Bernie will still hold much of the power, but with an even bigger wad in his back pocket, CVC will have made much profit and will be off into the sunset (on a big yacht), the teams will have made enough fuss to now own a slice between them through FOTA, and News Corp will be the big shareholder.

Everyone will be loving it and swigging champagne till the wee small hours.

Except us. Who will be saving our pennies for a new Sky Sports subscription...
Old 13 May 2011, 15:58 (Ref:2879941)   #16
ChrisPage
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
ChrisPage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Only one thing wrong with that theory, there is now someone standing by and willing to act as a promoter where the teams had to fend for themselves last time, exactly what has happened in other sports that a breakaway has occurred in. If News were to succeed in enticing some teams away and then refuse to give any other F1 group airtime who do you think has the upper hand?
News Corp won't touch a breakaway series with even the longest barge poll.

And nor will they need to. Not after they convince all the teams just how integral they are to their vision of F1. Combine the power of such big business with the teams, a promise to Bernie he'll still be the boss, coupled with a slightly inflated offer to CVC and we'll all be watching Sky Sports every other Sunday before you can utter the words 'Done Deal'.
Old 13 May 2011, 16:13 (Ref:2879946)   #17
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
AndyS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
I can sort of see where they're coming from tbh.

As much as I like the new F1, there are some issues. And there is something up with the 'purity' thing as much as I tried to shrug it off. I think it was after watching that Race of Champions from Brands yesterday, i've found it difficult to forget about it and get on with it..

I also miss the engines. The V8's, 10's, 12's.

To see some fatter/old school Formula One cars decked out in different aero packages with more freedom, and different engines, around tracks that don't require 2 miles of gray tarmac run off, then it'd be quite the spectacle.

But yeah, there's obviously a million and one issues with that.

Selby
Don't disagree with anything your saying there, they do need a pretty radical re think. After 30 years of watching the sport I find myself more disillusioned then ever with it. I just think a split would be really bad news.
Old 13 May 2011, 17:08 (Ref:2879955)   #18
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Oh dear, what are they crying over this time?
Old 13 May 2011, 17:17 (Ref:2879959)   #19
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPage View Post

Except us. Who will be saving our pennies for a new Sky Sports subscription...
At which point we all realise that NASCAR, IRL, Soccer, Cricket, Rugby and Tennis aren't so bad after all.
Old 13 May 2011, 18:14 (Ref:2879980)   #20
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
At which point we all realise that NASCAR, IRL, Soccer, Cricket, Rugby and Tennis aren't so bad after all.

Uhm, you were joking there, right?
Old 13 May 2011, 18:26 (Ref:2879984)   #21
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man View Post
Uhm, you were joking there, right?
There are very few sports that I would pay to watch on TV. Womens beach volleyball is one of them.
Old 13 May 2011, 19:23 (Ref:2880001)   #22
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
There are very few sports that I would pay to watch on TV. Womens beach volleyball is one of them.

Just follow the ball.
Old 14 May 2011, 01:18 (Ref:2880096)   #23
Spritle
Veteran

Spritle has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post

Just follow the ball.
What ball?
Old 14 May 2011, 09:45 (Ref:2880176)   #24
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have often wondered how far this will go. FOCA, FOTA, and the Concorde Agreement.

History, Bernies acumen, has Bernie annoited a succesor,maybey one of his girls?.

Will bigger money have an influence, NEWS CORP ?
Will they give the flick to $50 Mil races(We know where, Seats empty, Diehard fans at the track the rest watching at home on fn-Big screeens, Oil $$) and go back to tradditional Circuits with bums on seats?
Will televising be on a conditional 75% ticket sales in host country?
Will live stream on the Internet become the Norm?
Will Pay per view become a standard?

My biggest dislike of F1, is that Ferrari has a say. Yes there is history, but to allow one manufacturer to have a say is a insult to others.

Motorsport needs to all participants to have an input. If Bernie and Jean don't listen, then what happened in other formulas/Categorys may just well happen to F1. Not today or tommorow, but some day soon.
Old 14 May 2011, 11:42 (Ref:2880207)   #25
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll watch whatever one isn't subscription only.