Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 11 Aug 2008, 16:45 (Ref:2267378)   #1
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Porsche 997 GT3 for GT4 class

GT3.NL, the motorsport department of a Dutch Porsche dealer, is developing a Porsche 997 GT3 for the GT4 class. In contrast to the previous Porsche GT4 project this project has the blessing from Porsche. The previous GT4 car was based on the Cayman and developed by Belgian team GPR. GPR was forced by Porsche to quit the development and racing of the Cayman GT4 otherwise they could not buy a new Porsche 997 GT3.

Equipe Verschuur and GT3.NL are planning to enter at least 4 cars in the new Dutch GT4 championship. There's also interest from other teams. The car will make it's debut in the last round of the European GT4 series.
Old 11 Aug 2008, 16:52 (Ref:2267384)   #2
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Aslak Vind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting!

That should would be well worth the effort, given the factory blessing. We all know how protective Porsche is about homolating their cars in private projects. The stone in the shoe is the Cayman, which by amny is considered a better balanced racecar than the 997.

However, I must agree with Jeremy Clarkson. The GT1/GT2/GT3 nomination of the 997 series makes less and less sence, now they have a GT3 racing in GT2 and GT3, and now the GT3 will be in GT4.
Old 11 Aug 2008, 19:01 (Ref:2267453)   #3
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It makes no sence cause FIA is screwing with their class designations all the time. Look at the FIA classes and the Porsche models exactly 10 years ago and you'll see it makes perfect sence.
Old 11 Aug 2008, 23:56 (Ref:2267552)   #4
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
minimangler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheFanNo1
It makes no sence cause FIA is screwing with their class designations all the time. Look at the FIA classes and the Porsche models exactly 10 years ago and you'll see it makes perfect sence.
Pretty much- only gt1 ended in '98, and gt3 began in '99.

It's a good idea, taking it to gt4...but the cayman has more potential.
Old 12 Aug 2008, 08:58 (Ref:2267694)   #5
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't see the advantage for Porsche to race the 911 instead of the Cayman in GT4. Porsche has already a lot of cars racing in GT2 and GT3, and the GT4 will not add much, especially since it will race against slower and less exclusive cars. The Cayman OTOH is now without the marketingtool of a racingcar, and in GT4 it would meet other cars that are closer to the car in the marketplace, ie the Audi TT, Nissan 350Z and BMW Z4.
In that aspect btw I think the GT4-versions of the Corvette and Aston Martin are smart moves. How would you explain your customers that your car just lost against an Audi TT?
Old 12 Aug 2008, 09:10 (Ref:2267698)   #6
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Aslak Vind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And thinking of the fact, that porsche just launched a sportsversion of the Cayman, get some attention and racing pedigree in that in the launch window.

Some times I dont get Porsche..
Old 12 Aug 2008, 09:41 (Ref:2267709)   #7
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by werner
I don't see the advantage for Porsche to race the 911 instead of the Cayman in GT4. Porsche has already a lot of cars racing in GT2 and GT3, and the GT4 will not add much, especially since it will race against slower and less exclusive cars. The Cayman OTOH is now without the marketingtool of a racingcar, and in GT4 it would meet other cars that are closer to the car in the marketplace, ie the Audi TT, Nissan 350Z and BMW Z4.
In that aspect btw I think the GT4-versions of the Corvette and Aston Martin are smart moves. How would you explain your customers that your car just lost against an Audi TT?
I'm surprised that Porsche use the GT3 and not the regular Carrera, after all the Carreras are quite successfull in Koni Challenge against Mustangs that are similar to those in GT4.
Old 12 Aug 2008, 10:07 (Ref:2267720)   #8
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by werner
The sales of 911's for GT4 will be about profits, not marketing. Given the current level of development of the 911 for other classes, it probably will cost Porsche less to develop the car for GT4, than it would be to do the Cayman. I'm not so certain that a series of the level of GT4 really is much about marketing anyway.
Old 12 Aug 2008, 13:09 (Ref:2267821)   #9
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aslak Vind
Some times I dont get Porsche..
It would undermine their top banana, the 911- they're in a stuck situation, because EVERYONE knows a Cayman with a 997 engine would be a better car than a 997, but hey can't do it because the the 997 would look silly.

The end may be nigh for the 911, with the Panamera to take the big daddy tag and (hopefully ) the Cayman to get the big flat sixes.
Old 12 Aug 2008, 16:47 (Ref:2267917)   #10
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund
The sales of 911's for GT4 will be about profits, not marketing. Given the current level of development of the 911 for other classes, it probably will cost Porsche less to develop the car for GT4, than it would be to do the Cayman. I'm not so certain that a series of the level of GT4 really is much about marketing anyway.
Belgian team GPR had already developed a Cayman GT4 so it costs Porsche nothing.
Old 12 Aug 2008, 18:34 (Ref:2267992)   #11
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
Belgian team GPR had already developed a Cayman GT4 so it costs Porsche nothing.
They don't make anything off of such an enterprise ... where if you bought GT4 cars directly from Porsche, they would... and that is what Porsche Motorsports is about now.
Old 12 Aug 2008, 18:55 (Ref:2268009)   #12
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund
They don't make anything off of such an enterprise ... where if you bought GT4 cars directly from Porsche, they would... and that is what Porsche Motorsports is about now.
Sadly true.
Old 7 Sep 2008, 10:57 (Ref:2283264)   #13
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
In 2 weeks time the Porsche GT4 will be tested for the first time.
Old 7 Sep 2008, 16:24 (Ref:2283488)   #14
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Press release
GT3.nl and Paul van Splunteren prepare a Porsche for the Dutch GT4 Championship
Eindhoven, 1-8-2008. GT3.nl, the motorsport department of Porsche Centre Eindhoven, is currently very busy with the preparation of a Porsche 911 GT3 for the exciting SRO GT4 class, which was introduced in 2007. The basis of the 2009 SRO GT4 Porsche will be the current version of the 911 GT3 (type 997). GT3.nl is developing a kit that will convert an existing clubsport version of the 997 GT3 roadcar into a highly competitive weapon, ready to compete with the fastest cars on the grid.

After consulting SRO and Porsche, GT3.nl decided to create a light conversion kit that will keep the car very close to its original state. Eventually the car could be brought back to road car specification. Due to the good availability of existing 997 GT3 roadcars in Europe, they expect enough interest from teams to convert a car for the 2009 Championships and beyond.

GT3.nl boss Paul van Splunteren: "Porsche decided not to develop a car themselves for the SRO GT4 class in 2009 based on a model which is no longer produced. Our initiative has not been disapproved by them. On the contrary, they indicated that it would be appreciated if we would take the initiative and come up with a solution. Of course Porsche knows that we would never do something that they would oppose as we represent the brand in the south of Holland. During this season we will investigate the possibilities for 2010, as will Porsche do themselves. In the second halve of 2009 we will get together and than the decisions for 2010 and beyond will be made.

In the mean time we will put together a team with Equipe Verschuur for the Dutch GT4 Championship. Frans Verschuur and myself believe that we can set up a four car team for the Dutch GT4. A lot of other teams have shown their interest for this particular car. Porsches are known for their pace, reliability and resell value."

Currently the first car is being build and will hit the track early September. If everything goes according to plan one GT4 Porsche will compete during the last race of the European GT4 Championship at Nogaro early October.

For further information: *********
Source: www.gt3.nl
Old 7 Sep 2008, 21:57 (Ref:2284096)   #15
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
is a 997 GT3 overkill for GT4 ?
Old 7 Sep 2008, 22:21 (Ref:2284123)   #16
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL
is a 997 GT3 overkill for GT4 ?
Nah, a GT3 Clubsport with a few more mods like suspension setup options and stuff and it would be perfect, I dont think you'd need to change much at all, one of those kits I'd imagine would be VERY offordable.
Old 9 Sep 2008, 19:54 (Ref:2285949)   #17
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheFanNo1
Nah, a GT3 Clubsport with a few more mods like suspension setup options and stuff and it would be perfect, I dont think you'd need to change much at all, one of those kits I'd imagine would be VERY offordable.
Personally, I see a Mars bar as "VERY affordable," and a racing Porsche 997 somewhere in the "unattainably expensive" category.

Old 9 Sep 2008, 23:57 (Ref:2286143)   #18
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
Well the kit will be, not nesseserily the car itself. :P