Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 6 Nov 2013, 16:13 (Ref:3328055)   #1
apriliadriver
Racer

United Kingdom
Ruislip, Middx
apriliadriver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Halfords Toolbox

Winter is drawing in, racing is almost over, and on the HSCC Championship Finals thread we had a quick digression about toolboxes with GrantP, Delta and Zef all chipping in.

So as a requiem to both Halfords (as it used to be) and toolboxes, I attach an article I wrote a few years ago ...
Nick
Attached Files
File Type: doc The Halfords Toolbox.doc (30.0 KB, 173 views)
Old 6 Nov 2013, 16:19 (Ref:3328057)   #2
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Love it!
Old 6 Nov 2013, 17:01 (Ref:3328085)   #3
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Very good, thanks for that.
Old 6 Nov 2013, 17:04 (Ref:3328090)   #4
deley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bramley, Guildford
deley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Old 6 Nov 2013, 17:08 (Ref:3328091)   #5
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
from back in the day when a historic club racer had a spanner in his tool box rather than on the payroll...
Old 6 Nov 2013, 17:40 (Ref:3328107)   #6
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Superb. Loved the accents.

I wonder if today's plastic versions of the boxes will still be active 50 years on?
Old 6 Nov 2013, 17:45 (Ref:3328109)   #7
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Happy days . Back in the 70, s I came of the spaners and worked at a motor factors sat morning the que for n9 y spark plugs would be a 1/4 mile long
Old 6 Nov 2013, 19:04 (Ref:3328163)   #8
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In the mid 70's my early morning routine went something like this:

Walk to layby over the back where I parked the truck because I couldn't afford a yard.

Open locker, take out Halfords toolbox (mine was a Ferarri red one, otherwise identical to the Hammerite blue version, but considerably faster)

Put toolbox under wheel as the handbrake didn't work

Climb in truck, knock out of gear, start engine and build up air

Stop engine, put back into gear, retrieve toolbox, start engine, drive off

There was only once that I forgot to retrieve the toolbox, the catastrophic damage that resulted was beyond the best panelbeater and I had to grind it in half to get my tools out. If they issued HTP's for historic toolboxes I could have 2 now, both the genuine article
Old 6 Nov 2013, 20:18 (Ref:3328196)   #9
Robert Farrell
Racer

Robert Farrell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Our paddock toolbox for 2010 Coppa Inter-Europa. We were particularly proud of the Lightweight Plastic Fox`s tin.
Homologated of course
Attached Thumbnails
monza 048.jpg  
Old 6 Nov 2013, 20:19 (Ref:3328198)   #10
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Nice article, a good read, thanks

I once went into Halfords for a radiator thermostat for an MGB. I asked at the counter. 'Do you have the registration number?' I didn't, so I apologised, but said that it was a 1973 MGB GT anyway. 'Who is the manufacturer?' was the next question. I patiently told them. They knew not of this model. This went on for a bit. I explained the B-Series engine was in many cars and an engine that was quite common, especially for DIYers. We tried to look up many similar vehicles, but no it was impossible to get one. I wasn't allowed to simply go behind the counter look in a couple of boxes and find one either.

Annoyed I left the counter, but still wanted to purchase some oil. At the till there was a problem, it was malfunctioning and acting very slow (the till not the check out guy), a huge queue had built up. A tannoy announcement went out for a manager to come and help. Who should turn up, but the person who served me at the parts counter. A senior person, the manager.
Old 6 Nov 2013, 20:50 (Ref:3328217)   #11
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McKay View Post
In the mid 70's my early morning routine went something like this:

Walk to layby over the back where I parked the truck because I couldn't afford a yard.

Open locker, take out Halfords toolbox (mine was a Ferarri red one, otherwise identical to the Hammerite blue version, but considerably faster)

Put toolbox under wheel as the handbrake didn't work

Climb in truck, knock out of gear, start engine and build up air

Stop engine, put back into gear, retrieve toolbox, start engine, drive off

There was only once that I forgot to retrieve the toolbox, the catastrophic damage that resulted was beyond the best panelbeater and I had to grind it in half to get my tools out. If they issued HTP's for historic toolboxes I could have 2 now, both the genuine article
So. Colin, sounds almost legendary. What went wrong?

Old 7 Nov 2013, 05:56 (Ref:3328333)   #12
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Great story Colin sometimes in the morning my dad would get me up and get me to give him a snatch tow to start his truck that was when I had a Morris 1000 van
Old 7 Nov 2013, 07:44 (Ref:3328350)   #13
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
One of my mates had a York diesel engined Tranny van and had to leave it on a hill a mile from where he lived as it was (as all were) bad at starting.
He used to bike there and put the bike in the van !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 7 Nov 2013, 09:00 (Ref:3328368)   #14
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
great stuff . . . .mines not a Halfords box, probably a replica, or a continuation.
Attached Thumbnails
Adur-20131107-00519.jpg  
Old 7 Nov 2013, 09:26 (Ref:3328380)   #15
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
This thread sounds like we've stepped into the four Yorshiremen sketch. I rememba when me oud dad used kick ma aRs outa bed at three oclock in't mornin half our befuwa a went ta bed ant mek meh shuvle snow fromt inside of cab of wagin.
Old 7 Nov 2013, 09:33 (Ref:3328384)   #16
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Superb. Loved the accents.

I wonder if today's plastic versions of the boxes will still be active 50 years on?
No they won't be. we've caused mayhem to Alex's after just three seasons of karting.

Loved the story, had to read it two or three times to fully understand the dialect - and that's from someone whose mother came from Brum, so I have to go there regularly for coven meetings - er, sorry - "family gatherings".

Speak of the York Transit - I had one of those. Ran on neat EasyStart, even had an Easystart pump in the cab. It would never go well until I'd gone up Plough Hill from J15 M4 to Membury if you konw it, fully laden with a racing car, it kind of cleared its tubes and it flew (figuratively speaking) after that!
Old 7 Nov 2013, 20:49 (Ref:3328612)   #17
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Your dad did that too Tim? I thought it was only mine!
Old 7 Nov 2013, 22:24 (Ref:3328659)   #18
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
This thread sounds like we've stepped into the four Yorshiremen sketch. I rememba when me oud dad used kick ma aRs outa bed at three oclock in't mornin half our befuwa a went ta bed ant mek meh shuvle snow fromt inside of cab of wagin.
Actually, it's "...................of t'cab of t'wagin'."

If you're going to take the p**s out of us Yorkies at least quote us proper like!
Old 7 Nov 2013, 22:28 (Ref:3328660)   #19
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
Actually, it's "...................of t'cab of t'wagin'."

If you're going to take the p**s out of us Yorkies at least quote us proper like!
Sorry, my own native Lanc accent bled through.
Old 8 Nov 2013, 10:37 (Ref:3328851)   #20
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Is it true those York engines could run backwards and if it did was hell of a job to turn it of
Old 8 Nov 2013, 13:50 (Ref:3328929)   #21
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
No they won't be. we've caused mayhem to Alex's after just three seasons of karting.
You should get him to buy you a new one ...
Old 8 Nov 2013, 13:52 (Ref:3328931)   #22
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Is it true those York engines could run backwards and if it did was hell of a job to turn it of
It is possible to run an older mechanical pump diesel engine backwards but not for long before it siezed up through lack of oil pressure, I believe that some ship engines run the other way for reverse.

I would have thought it's not possible with a modern common rail as it's electronic controlled.

Last edited by GORDON STREETER; 8 Nov 2013 at 13:59.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 8 Nov 2013, 16:26 (Ref:3328981)   #23
105 Mad
Rookie

England
Chesham
105 Mad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
An almost relevant comment.

Some years ago when I drove artics my Volvo FL10 was in the shop for repairs.

The unit I was given in replacement didn't have a working night heater for nights out. I remember complaining to my shift manager who was a semi retired very ex lorry driver. He hit the roof saying how 'effing lucky we were to have nice cabs nowadays. In his day they had to light a fire on the floor of the cab to keep warm. Obviously, my response was "didn't it set fire to the carpet"

His response was, "effing carpets, in my day etc etc.

Those were the days eh?
Old 8 Nov 2013, 16:50 (Ref:3328995)   #24
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Paul, my drivers have been complaining because their night COOLERS don't work properly and they find it hard to sleep when it's too warm. When it was too hot, I used to sleep on the back under the stars. They weren't impressed with that remedy.
Old 8 Nov 2013, 16:51 (Ref:3328997)   #25
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
The venerable Foden engine certainly did...quite often! You had to listen out for the odd note or you'd stick it in first and hit the wall behind