Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 19 Jan 2000, 02:26 (Ref:10382)   #1
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I know there are a few racers out there so why not tell us what your history in the sport is ..from when you started and what you have driven and sucesses you may have had along the way...

mine is pretty simple

bought an Arrow AX6 kart

late 1998: started racing karts

1999: raced karts

2000: More of the same coming up
havent won anything yet..best place of second..but that win is just around the corner

so come on tell us your history
Old 20 Jan 2000, 00:29 (Ref:10383)   #2
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In May 1989 I bought a stock standard '72 Valiant Charger and set about converting it into a "Street Sedan" a club level class for racing superceded, near standard produstion saloons. My first race was on 27/8/89, I came last. In Dec '89 I came second in a handicap race, after starting from scratch. In Feb '90 a moron having his first race, lost it front of me and charged straight back onto the track without waiting for the dust or traffic to clear. I had nowhere else to go and t-boned him, writing off the Charger. Six months later, I bought another Charger and set out to do sprints while I slowly built the car up to race. I came second in class at my first sprint event, after which I had no end of mechanical problems with the car and never finished another sprint.
By 1994 I still hadn't finished getting the Charger ready to race and was looking to buy a house, so I sold the Charger and bought a Datsun 1600, I figured a small 4-cylinder car would be much more affordable.
By early 1996 the Datsun still wasn't ready to race and I decided to stop procrastinating and get on with it. I immediately stopped doing sprints and hillclimbs and saved every penny towards getting the car ready to race.
In July 1996 the Datsun made it's racing debut, since then I've done 24 meetings with just 2 mechanical DNFs, one shunt (it was still driveable), No DNQs and no DNS. I've also won the Club Championship and had heaps of fun. This year I'm hoping for more of the same.
Old 21 Jan 2000, 17:20 (Ref:10384)   #3
Fiorentina 1
Veteran

United States
Calabasas Hills, California
Fiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In 89, crashed F3000 driver Elton Julian's Kart after 1 lap! We went to High school together, he was this little 15 year punk racing FFords. Ya were still friends, even though I crashed his Kart.

Few weeks latter, went to Jim Hall Kart school.

90 bought Birel-Yamaha 125cc Shifter Kart raced in Southern California

92 Bought Kali-Honda 125cc Shifter Kart
The motor was bought from the Factory Honda motocross team's accountant. That motor was fast! Raced in west coast US.

94-95 no racing, no $$$ concentrated on college.

96 Went to Skip Barber racing school at Sears Point. Did a few races that year. Was the fastest student by 8 seconds. Got humbled during first practice of first race, when noticed I was 4 seconds off Derek Hill...Crashed first lap of first race. That too humbled me! But finished 6, from 15th in second race.

97-? Bought used Kali-Honda shifter kart. For fun, rarely race it. That's my toy!

97-99 Racing Formula Dodge 2000. Won more, crashed less. It costs money when you crash those things! During that time took a year off from May 97 to may 98 to finish college.

2000 ? A few more Dodge races then look at Pro-Series or F.Mazda...first find rich girl friend or Internet company with too much money

[This message has been edited by Fiorentina 1 (edited 21 January 2000).]
Old 23 Jan 2000, 09:15 (Ref:10385)   #4
Warwick
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
Warwick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I first raced a Mk2 zephyr in 1984 on adirt speedway in streetstock which is a full contact class after 3 meetings the car was so badly damaged i gave it up,i took a break till 1992 then did 1 or 2 novice days a year on a Ducati 600 Pantah/750ss and Darmah on our local 3.5km circuit,in 1996 i was offered a YZ250 gearbox kart which i ran at about 6-7 meetings,then bought a RM125 kart of my own,i have just sold the kart and my bike to finance a TZ250 powered superkart which is currently at a rolling chassis stage,the plan is have a go at the NZ title in 2001 with this season as the runup to it.

ps,if anyones over this side of the world you're welcome to come have a drive once its up and running.
Old 23 Jan 2000, 09:23 (Ref:10386)   #5
Warwick
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
Warwick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I forgot there was also a attempt at endurance racing a Subaru powered VW Baja off roader in a few events in 1995 however due to poor preperation they were a big failure.
Old 4 Feb 2000, 16:08 (Ref:10387)   #6
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Formula Fords, 1975-1984. Winkelman, Merlyn, Crossle

Best qualifying: 11th out of 73, 1984 June Sprints, Road America. Pouring rain.

Best finish: 3rd, 1983, Brainerd Int'l. Pouring rain.

Anybody want to hire a wet-weather only driver? Don't underestimate the value of learning to drive on frozen Minnesota roads. An FF on wet handles just like a 52 Ford pickup on ice!
Old 4 Feb 2000, 16:48 (Ref:10388)   #7
yelwoci
Racer

United Kingdom
London
yelwoci should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I 'race' a Mazda RX7 in UK, in the BARC/CSCC Pre-83 Group1 Touring Championship.

This is a clubman series and reasonably friendly!

The car is very fast, dodgy through medium speed corners, very hot, very very noisy inside...but I love it.

Oh, then there's me I'm pretty useless and previous year one the club autorotation award!
Next year will be my 5th year and only my second full season.

See you around, and around, and around.....

:-))
IanC
Old 7 Feb 2000, 18:16 (Ref:10389)   #8
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Mr Welicoy.

You do yourself down. You provide a whole lot more entertainment than U give yourself credit for.

Ian races his RX7 with the CSCC in the Group 1 Touring Car Championship. First round Silverstone 18 March. This Championship appears on the BARC Classic Package tour this year and we even visit Knockhill. If you go to the Historic or Other Classes forums you will find the calendar.
Old 7 Feb 2000, 22:11 (Ref:10390)   #9
Invader
Veteran

Invader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ian, is yours the red(ish) RX7 which looks like each panel has been sprayed in a different shade of red primer with a hoover set on blow? ....sorry for the insult but I'm Mallett trained

[This message has been edited by Invader (edited 07 February 2000).]