Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Kart Racing

Old 30 Jul 2011, 19:42 (Ref:2933538)   #1
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Comer 60cc clutch types???

Hi, I have an older comer S60 engine, with the one piece clutch shoe, one of the 3 shoes has broken off, I must say it really is a crap and cheap design as it appears to rely on the cast iron flexing, I'm a chartered design engineer and I know that cast iron should not be used like this, I have also bought a second hand 1 piece clutch with about 50% life left.....and sure enough its also started cracking, see this link:

http://www.zipnorth.com/index.php?ma...roducts_id=636

now I notice Comer also sell a 3 piece "heavy duty" clutch, with a seperate drive centre, which looks a far better design.

http://www.zipnorth.com/index.php?ma...roducts_id=653

http://www.zipnorth.com/index.php?ma...roducts_id=652

but the big question is why are there two designs, what do they do different?.....I read somewhere that the 3 piece design bites sooner????..... what is the difference, as I'm inclined to spend a bit more on the 3 piece design, what clutch type do people use and why???
Old 30 Jul 2011, 21:31 (Ref:2933580)   #2
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I saw a similar thing happen to a friends one, so it must be a common occurance. I think the one you want to fit is off a w60 and as far ad I know is compatible, as I think you can convert an s60 into a w60.
Old 3 Aug 2011, 20:30 (Ref:2935545)   #3
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I went for the 3 piece spring clutch in the end, it turns out they last for a very long time, and are 200g lighter than the 1 piece type......also the 1 piece type give more grip the older they get.......I spoke to ricky grice and he also said the 1 piece type are not good for learners as when they are hesitant on the throttle, the crank assembly has a torsional vibration moment and tends to break the 1 piece clutches.......this link was interesting too.......I'm convinced the only reason comer sell the 1 piece design is because its cheaper to produce and they make huge profit margin on them, especially as they wear out quickly.

http://www.karting.co.uk/Notice/Mess...gID=0000474414