Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 2 Jan 2000, 05:15 (Ref:10367)   #1
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

I am going to post this here and in the trackside forum:

What do you think is the best corner in the world to drive on? Scariest? Hardest to master? Most time to be made up?
Old 2 Jan 2000, 14:32 (Ref:10368)   #2
Ken
Rookie

Ken should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I assume that you are talking from a driver point of view and not a fan. I have found corner 2 at Mosport to be the most demanding and scariest that I drive on . You start off by going up a small hill and all you can see is sky then over the hill you have a blind VERY OFF CAMBER double apex . I have heard from F1 drivers to GT to anyone who has driven the track before that is the best corner in racing . Yes you can make up time on it if you have the Ba*** to hang it out and the other driver doesn't.
Old 2 Jan 2000, 17:21 (Ref:10369)   #3
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That's three times a scary as it would have been Ken
Old 6 Jan 2000, 02:41 (Ref:10370)   #4
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
At Queensland Raceway, I hate turn 4 and love turn 5. There are so many good corners at Lakeside, it's hard to pick one in particular. Hungry is a lot of fun, Carussell more so, you need your wits about you under the bridge and through the kink, but far and away the most time to be made is the fast right leading on to the straight, scary and dangerous, but lots of time to be won or lost. Eastern loop is the only corner i don't like.
Old 24 Jan 2000, 21:17 (Ref:10371)   #5
Fiorentina 1
Veteran

United States
Calabasas Hills, California
Fiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Best corner? Easy! Turn 9 at Willow Springs International in Southern California!

A long-loooooooooong decreasing ratios right hander taken in top gear (at least with a 4 speed box).
If you get it right, it feels awesome, you dip at the apex & drift out to the edge of the road kicking up a little dust. Get it wrong and you end up in the desert a kilometer away from where you want to be. Oh ya, it gets really windy in that part of California, so you almost need sailing lessons when it gets gusty!
The biggest series they run at Willow is AMA Super Bikes. I asked Anthony Gobert about it & he said it ranks right up there with the scariest corners in Europe...
How do I do at that corner? Well, people say I take it quite well. A few quick guys flew off trying to follow me...HA HA HA! Let's just say I don't breath until I'm through it. I've scared my self a few dozen times there. I love it!!!!!
But, I do fly off around 5% of the laps. I got my technique down and everything. I don't spin, just cruse through the pits

Most overrated corner: Cork Screw! It's cool when you pass some one there, but other then that it's a waste of time. In the rain, it's pretty hairy-can't get on the power too soon coming out of it. It's the last place that dries. That big oak tree over the second apex, blocks the sun. The corner after that one is better. (Rainey)

Ken: Turn 2 @ Mosport? Ya I heard stories about it...It ranks up there in the top 10 in the world! In the rain in a F1200 with no down-force? You got my respect!

[This message has been edited by Fiorentina 1 (edited 24 January 2000).]