Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 22 Mar 2006, 20:16 (Ref:1557721)   #1
teegeefla
Rookie

teegeefla should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gurney Impala

I just found an article in a 1962 issue of Hot Rod magazine that tells about the Chevy Impala that Dan Gurney drove at a saloon car race at Silverstone in 1961. It goes on to mention that the car was prohibited from racing at another event a few months later, due to a paperwork problem, so Dan reportedly sold it to a racer in Australia. Any idea who bought the car, and did it ever race down under? Any idea if there are any photos of it? Thanks.
Old 23 Mar 2006, 08:22 (Ref:1558098)   #2
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There is actually a picture of Gurney leading that race, being pressed hard by Graham Hill in a Mk2 Jaguar, in the June 1961 issue of Motor Sport. It was one of the support races for the Silverstone International Trophy Race (run at that time to the Inter-Continental Formula). Gurney lead the race until a rear wheel disintegrated. Motor Sport's view was that Graham would have been unable to pass the Impala if it had held together!
Old 23 Mar 2006, 10:49 (Ref:1558277)   #3
Formula 5000
Rookie

Formula 5000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
teegeefla,

My memory of when I was a young man is a little hazy but I believe the said Chevrolet Impala was bought by our great Australian Touring Car legend Norman Beechey. He raced it successfully against the then current crop of Jaguars here. Much tailout racing and desperate slides. No looking after the tyres. He ran the Gurney sintered metallic linings on the drum brakes and then stroked it with a Mickey Thompson (USA) stroker kit. I believe to over 409 Cu inches. He then sold it to race other cars succesfully. In his retirement he bought it back, restored it and still has it today. Sadly demonstrated, or run in hillclimbs road rallies or sprints only. Registration US 409.

I understand from current interviews that he says with todays technology it puts out more HP than in its heyday. Still an impressive unit and I think my memory of it bellowing around our circuits still transfixes an old man. There are many photos of it here in Australia but I am unsure how to load them.

Ah memories!!!!
Old 24 Mar 2006, 06:31 (Ref:1559362)   #4
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think Beechey's car was the one referred to - he ordered specially a pillarless 4 door car (a coupe would not have been eligible) with the top-of-the-tree 409 engine and manual transmission which was the only sedan built with that driveline. You may well ask why he chose a pillarless body to race - believe it or not it was because it would be easier to sell at a better price once he had finished racing it!