Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 20 Jun 2003, 23:09 (Ref:638087)   #26
Fulvio
Rookie

Italy
Rovigo (Italy)
Fulvio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by courage
Hey fulvio, how many durangos at LM in november? One or two? It would be cool to see you in...

Today I've been at the Durango factory... and the boss told me that the second car is going to be ready for the Oschersleben race, so we will surely be there [I'm still reporting what they told me ] at the November race with two cars. The drivers will be Rugolo-Maddalena and Cavicchi-Mark Hines (at 90%).

In Monza, instead, the cockpit will be divided between me and Leonardo Maddalena... Michele Rugolo is going to be the "spare driver" as I did in Estoril...

But... I'll wait Only in the moment the race is started with me in the driving position, I will say "Ok, I'm racing"
Old 21 Jun 2003, 07:05 (Ref:638236)   #27
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by 917Addicted
Hay Fab, correct me if I'm wrong:

Wasn't there a race at he LM-Bugatti for GTs and Sportscars some years ago?? Something called Coupe d'Autonne (spelling again )?
I don't have to correct you, you're right (Coupe d'Automne)... I'll look for some informations about it, but some french members could help on that better than me...
Old 21 Jun 2003, 07:08 (Ref:638238)   #28
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Northcutt
I just re-read the announcement and the invites for 2004 will be the 12 from LM Bugatti, plus 8 ALMS season points cars (top two in each class) and four FIA-GT, if they meet ACO regs....

I'm not at all sure about how they will do next year's automatic berths, because the four class winners at the Tourney events, plus LM class winners makes 20....they can't do class winners at Sebring and Petit because that would make 28...and if they do ALMS season winners, it would be 24, but Sebring and Petit would not be qualifiiers...

I thought that at some point, those two races were included as qualifiers...is that correct, or not????
If I understood well, the November race is qulifying only for 2004. Then, we'll have the best of ALMS ans LM Tournament ; the races themselves are not qualifying... only the result of the championships are...
Old 21 Jun 2003, 07:09 (Ref:638239)   #29
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Originally posted by Fulvio
Today I've been at the Durango factory... and the boss told me that the second car is going to be ready for the Oschersleben race, so we will surely be there [I'm still reporting what they told me ] at the November race with two cars. The drivers will be Rugolo-Maddalena and Cavicchi-Mark Hines (at 90%).

In Monza, instead, the cockpit will be divided between me and Leonardo Maddalena... Michele Rugolo is going to be the "spare driver" as I did in Estoril...

But... I'll wait Only in the moment the race is started with me in the driving position, I will say "Ok, I'm racing"
We'll cheer yo, Fulvio !

Old 23 Jun 2003, 20:15 (Ref:640682)   #30
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Now for another November Question:

Since 12 cars from the LM Bugatti race in November will get automatic bids to Le Mans 2004....

How will the ACO handle the entries for this November race???

Will they send invites to cars from the list of entries submitted, like they have done in the past for the Big One?

I would think that there would be plenty of entries for a race that will have so much at stake, not to mention the kick-off for this new format...probably more entries than spots available on the grid or in the pit lane...

Any word on this????

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 24 Jun 2003, 05:18 (Ref:641048)   #31
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Northcutt
Now for another November Question:

Since 12 cars from the LM Bugatti race in November will get automatic bids to Le Mans 2004....

How will the ACO handle the entries for this November race???

Will they send invites to cars from the list of entries submitted, like they have done in the past for the Big One?

I would think that there would be plenty of entries for a race that will have so much at stake, not to mention the kick-off for this new format...probably more entries than spots available on the grid or in the pit lane...

Any word on this????
Nothing yet : let's wait for the entry list...
Old 24 Jun 2003, 12:37 (Ref:641414)   #32
LC2guy
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
LC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm with Tim on this one. What will ACO do if they get 80 applications for entry to the November race ? Some teams will think this is the easiest way to get an entry for the 24hrs next year. Better to get out there and try to finish top 3 in class than wait by the phone to see if you're going to get an invite. Ask Taurus.....
BTW how many can start on Bugatti circuit ?
Old 24 Jun 2003, 17:13 (Ref:641652)   #33
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
The Iberian event could fall into either one once every three years, and other countries (Holland readily comes to mind....
I think you can forget Zandvoort because there are people in Holland who don't like motorsport. These people (or must we say these idiots ) have decided that the circuit in the dunes is only permitted to produce a few days a year an unlimited amount of noise.

Quote:
What will ACO do if they get 80 applications for entry to the November race ?
We get a pre-qualification for the qualification of the November race.
Old 24 Jun 2003, 18:40 (Ref:641782)   #34
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I like the Pre-Qualification idea, but there would be no way to schedule it on such short notice...

BTW...I took the different tracks idea and started another separate thread so that we could focus on the Bugatti race...

I know you're from Holland, FIRE, but you don't think that Dutch racing fans would show up for one annual event at Zandvoort or Assen??? I think they would, just to root for Lammers and the other RfH car...

Plus, given those two circuits, other European fans would come as well...both are famous circuits with a lot of history...and sportcars would be great there....

Now...if you would, please Copy your answer and my response over to either "Now Here's and Idea" or "LM Tourney Beyond 2004...Some Thoughts" so that I won't get smacked for side-track this thread...

:-)

Old 24 Jun 2003, 20:02 (Ref:641872)   #35
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I know you're from Holland, FIRE, but you don't think that Dutch racing fans would show up for one annual event at Zandvoort or Assen??? I think they would, just to root for Lammers and the other RfH car...
That's not the problem, there are not only F1 fans in Holland. It would be nice to cheer Jan Lammers in his own hometown. But the real problem is that there aren't any "unlimited noise" days left. Zandvoort has already DTM, Marlboro Masters (F3), V8Stars (2x) and some national events. For example there was planned a Euro 3000 race or a Super Racing Weekend event this year but it was cancelled because Zandvoort had no "unlimited noise" days left. Sorry, that's motorsport in Holland...

But Assen is also a nice circuit.

Last edited by FIRE; 24 Jun 2003 at 20:03.
Old 24 Jun 2003, 20:51 (Ref:641927)   #36
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Since I'm suggesting this in a rotation of "add-on" dates to LMES to begin in 2007 or 2008, could Zandvoort be "persuaded" to use one of their "noise dates" for a 1000 km race every other year?

Assen could take the odd years...and Zandvoort the even years...

Every time I've seen any form of racing televised from Holland, the track is packed....whether it is F-1 or marlboro masters at Zandvoort or Motorcycles from Assen

and those two courses would be great...not that they'll evr happen, but that doesn't change the fact that they would be money machines for the promoters and for the LMES each year...

Old 24 Jun 2003, 22:50 (Ref:642076)   #37
Dauntless
Racer

United States
San Francisco Bay Area
Dauntless should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ALMS at Road America

Quote:
Originally posted by gttouring
PLM is okay- i love sebring- But for crying out load a 12 hours or 24 or 16 at ROAD AMERICA man it is perfect.
Having just come from engineering the winning Formula Atlantic entry at Road America's June Sprints, I can attest to the beauty and technical challenge of the course.

I agree that Road America would make a fantastic endurance course -- and evidently ALMS think so, as well. They will hold a 500-mile race there Aug 22-24. It isn't quite 24-hours, but it'll still make for a fantastic race. I wish I could fit it into my calendar!

Mosquitos? I never thought about them and didn't get a single bite the 5 days I was there.

Cheers! Stan
Old 25 Jun 2003, 15:01 (Ref:642751)   #38
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
To Dauntless:

Glad you didn't get bitten by mosquitoes, but they sell T-Shirts in Wisconsin that say "Wisconsin's State Bird" and have a picture of a huge mosquito in the center of the shirt....I've been there in both July and August, and they were pretty thick...

I could go into the whole biology thing about why they are bad not only there (in warm months like July or August) but in any North American location that is north of a certain latitude (they are called "The Curse of the Yukon" in that Canadian region) but this is a racing forum....

However....

Personally, I think Road America is probably one of the three best natural road courses in the U.S., if not North America, and it would be an ideal race course for a long endurance event....

I'd certainly be game for making the trip up there for a 16 hr. or
24-hr event myself...provided I packed a canister of "industrial strength DEET" to soak myself with once the sun went down....

Otherwise, I'd prefer something between or including an 8-hr or a 12 hr. event that would end a little before the sun went down or shortly thereafter so that I could avoid the little vampires from sucking my veins dry...

Either way, I think a big event at that track -- and I'd shoot for the weekend closest to July 4th to hold the race so that I could draw fans from a broader area who would have the time to come and spend a few days for Qualifying, etc., and make a big event out of it...

My second choice for this race....the "Full Course" at Virginai International Raceway....another of my "Top Three" Road Courses in North America....with Sebring being the third...

Old 25 Jun 2003, 19:38 (Ref:642998)   #39
Dauntless
Racer

United States
San Francisco Bay Area
Dauntless should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tim,

Speaking of those T-shirts...I did see a few while wandering the paddock. I suppose there'll be more mosquitos in coming weeks, but I still think that RA is not only a stunningly beautiful setting, but a track particularly well suited to endurance racing, as well.

Road America is isolated from most of its nearest neighbors, with the forested hills and dells of the kettle-moraine physiography well suited to breaking up the harsher sound components. The course lends itself to long driving stints, as well. My driver said that there are three long straights per lap where he could take one hand off the wheel and take a short (!) break from the intense effort required during the technical sections. He stated that this was a factor in his ability to really attack the technical sections, which is where he gained time on his pursuers. I'm sure endurance drivers would wish to avail themselves of the same opportunities.

And yes, I agree that 8 or 12 hours would make for an even better event than 500 miles. Still, I wish I could make it this year.
Old 25 Jun 2003, 20:29 (Ref:643054)   #40
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
I agree 100%, Dauntless!!!

Maybe we should start the e-mail campaign to Don Panoz and the ALMS...and add Speed Channel to our list while we're at it....so they can televise the "12 Hours of Independence Day Endurance from Road America" live like they do Sebring, Petit, etc.....

Old 29 Jun 2003, 20:53 (Ref:646454)   #41
Fulvio
Rookie

Italy
Rovigo (Italy)
Fulvio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do you want mosquitos? I just had to come to Monza & suburbs this weekend... it was crazy!

Normally mosquitos tend to prefer everybody else than me (I don't know why... I usually clean myself... )... in Monza this weekend they letterally "eated" me!

After the Monza race result, I surely would have preferred being in another place =__=
Old 2 Jul 2003, 19:43 (Ref:650023)   #42
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I see that there has been a date change for this race - from November 2nd to November 9th, DSC reports that news today - the reason behind the change is to give team longer to get over from the US after PLM..........
Old 2 Jul 2003, 19:51 (Ref:650037)   #43
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
To Fulvio:

That's why I would prefer an 8 hr or 12 hr race, to avoid the mosquitoes...the sun is out past 9 p.m. in Daylight savings time over here in the U.S....avoid those blood sucking vampires...

Question...what is the weather like in early November at Le Mans????

Otherwise, I can understand moving the date back so that teams can get it together to make the trip after Petit...

Old 2 Jul 2003, 20:37 (Ref:650137)   #44
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Lister will also compete.

The weather in November will be very blustery and rainy at best.

At worst frost, snow or Ice if there is a cold snap.