Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 31 Jul 2008, 16:53 (Ref:2261105)   #1
hoppelemine
Racer

England
Dorset, UK
hoppelemine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Diesel GT Car

Just wondering if anyone knows if there has ever been a diesel powered GT (not LMP) car entered in a of the major race series around the world. If not does anyone know if the rules permit this or if any teams have plans to do this. Would be great marketing/PR for a factory entry.
Old 31 Jul 2008, 17:14 (Ref:2261113)   #2
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Oh no ..... we dont want no more diesels ..... please !!!

BMW won Spa 24 with a diesel , but that was in the touring car days , 1996 I think ?
Old 31 Jul 2008, 18:47 (Ref:2261157)   #3
Splendid Cat
Racer

Splendid Cat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
Oh no ..... we dont want no more diesels ..... please !!!

BMW won Spa 24 with a diesel , but that was in the touring car days , 1996 I think ?
No it hasn't. Diesel never won Spa 24 o/a.

Please try and keep historical posts accurate as folk may accept them at face value.
Old 31 Jul 2008, 18:47 (Ref:2261158)   #4
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
I think it was the 24hrs at the Ring that BMW won in the last races of the touring car era, 1998.
Old 31 Jul 2008, 18:56 (Ref:2261163)   #5
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm quite sure it was the Nring 24 that BMW won with a diesel.

The reason why theres not been a diesel GT car is that there hasn't been a diesel sportscar/supercar to base it on. If Audi were to put a diesel version of the R8 road car into production then we may see one.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 31 Jul 2008, 18:56 (Ref:2261164)   #6
ScuderiaV8
Rookie

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
ScuderiaV8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the closest thing to a diesel GT car was the Trident Iceni, powered by a 6.6 litre GM V8 diesel. It was supposed to race in British GT in 2006 and may have had an outing in Britcar in 2005 but I can't find any record of it actually racing.

http://www.trident-vehicles.co.uk/in...d=29&Itemid=45
Old 31 Jul 2008, 19:23 (Ref:2261181)   #7
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
there was a diesel VW entered into the Speed World Touring car class a few races ago. Got Lapped and DNFed. Did not show up for any other races.
Old 31 Jul 2008, 19:28 (Ref:2261185)   #8
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splendid Cat
No it hasn't. Diesel never won Spa 24 o/a.

Please try and keep historical posts accurate as folk may accept them at face value.
My mistake ..... I ment the Nurburgring . You may notice that there is a question mark at the end of my post , with the words "I think" ? .... Is that easier for you now ?

The last line of your post ..... can you try to be a bit more civil in future ..... some folk may take your attitude as face value .

END OF !!!
Old 31 Jul 2008, 21:26 (Ref:2261279)   #9
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL
there was a diesel VW entered into the Speed World Touring car class a few races ago. Got Lapped and DNFed. Did not show up for any other races.
Diesel tourings cars aren't really the point of this thread as listing all of them would probably take a few years
Can't think of any GTs either...can't even think of any roadgoing ones that could have been the basis for a race car.
Old 1 Aug 2008, 00:15 (Ref:2261347)   #10
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
minimangler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Eye
Diesel tourings cars aren't really the point of this thread as listing all of them would probably take a few years
Can't think of any GTs either...can't even think of any roadgoing ones that could have been the basis for a race car.
And long may it stay that way! We're PETROLheads not DIESELheads ("And that's a scientific FACT!").
Old 1 Aug 2008, 03:11 (Ref:2261396)   #11
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Actually he runs most races, just not a leading car. Plus all the development is in house so SLOW.

http://www.chilipepperracing.org/index.php
Old 1 Aug 2008, 06:56 (Ref:2261445)   #12
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Audi are selling the TT now with a diesel engine.

Not a 'proper' sports car maybe, but it has 2 seats so in maybe it is I dont know.

But it does give a clear pointer to the way car makers are going and the Diesel R8 wont be far behind. would it sell? as I have said before I would buy one.
Old 1 Aug 2008, 06:59 (Ref:2261447)   #13
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
FYI the Trident was paraded at the press day for this years Britcar but as yet a no show. He may be saving it for the 24Hr at Silverstone?
Old 1 Aug 2008, 11:27 (Ref:2261603)   #14
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96
Actually he runs most races, just not a leading car. Plus all the development is in house so SLOW.

http://www.chilipepperracing.org/index.php

Cool That is good to hear

and Speed World Touring is close to GT4. and those drivers in SW Touring, my guess is they are faster then most GT3 drivers.

So "Touring" is not just in name only.
Old 1 Aug 2008, 12:06 (Ref:2261626)   #15
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScuderiaV8
I think the closest thing to a diesel GT car was the Trident Iceni, powered by a 6.6 litre GM V8 diesel. It was supposed to race in British GT in 2006 and may have had an outing in Britcar in 2005 but I can't find any record of it actually racing.

http://www.trident-vehicles.co.uk/in...d=29&Itemid=45
I could be wrong but I think I recall the car being on the BGT entry lists as long ago as 2005 - it's entered, practiced and broken a few times, but so far never raced.
Old 1 Aug 2008, 13:16 (Ref:2261662)   #16
hoppelemine
Racer

England
Dorset, UK
I was asking the question more along the lines of a GT/Endurance based race series eg. LMS & ALMS rather than touring cars. I know that SEAT are already in the BTCC with Diesel power. As for manufacturers not having a production car to base a race car on, I'm sure the likes of BMW and Mercedes must have several diesel coupes to work with. (does the six series have a diesel variant?)
Old 1 Aug 2008, 13:48 (Ref:2261682)   #17
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Cool That is good to hear

and Speed World Touring is close to GT4. and those drivers in SW Touring, my guess is they are faster then most GT3 drivers.

So "Touring" is not just in name only.
But I'd imagine this car is probably closer to a WTCC Leon (which, like the Jetta, is a rebodied Golf), isn't it? Can't find any specs on the site, what engine do they run?

@hoppelemine: Actually you're right...since last year they offer a Diesel in the 6, but it's only 3.0l. I'm not sure that would make a competitive GT engine. Same thing with the Merc CLK.
Old 1 Aug 2008, 17:10 (Ref:2261751)   #18
hoppelemine
Racer

England
Dorset, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Eye

@hoppelemine: Actually you're right...since last year they offer a Diesel in the 6, but it's only 3.0l. I'm not sure that would make a competitive GT engine. Same thing with the Merc CLK.
Thought I'd look at this one, remember I'm not of a particularly technical nature and numbers on paper don't tell the full story.... However...

Road going Porsche GT3 has 415bhp and 300 ft lbs of torque.

BMW 635d has only 290bhp (that's alot for a diesel) but 430 ft lbs of Torque

Sounds like the potential for a competitive engine to me. Look at what Torque does for Audi and Peugeot.
Old 1 Aug 2008, 17:14 (Ref:2261754)   #19
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Haven't Audi tested a V12 diesel version of the R8?
Old 2 Aug 2008, 15:26 (Ref:2262149)   #20
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster
Haven't Audi tested a V12 diesel version of the R8?

Yes.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/01/13/d...he-r8-v12-tdi/

The R8 TDi has a 5.9-litre V12 twin-turbo diesel with 493bhp and, more scarily, a massive 738lb ft of torque but can return 23mpg

see this for a test report.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carrevi...0/audi_r8.html

There was a tamer V8 version knocking around last year that was tip to go on sale later this year but with 'only' 350bhp compared to the V12 versions 490, I would think it has been canned in favor of the V12 version.
Old 2 Aug 2008, 15:52 (Ref:2262160)   #21
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Surely the V12 diesel is a great platform for a GT1 car - if they can get the rules to include a diesel option ...
Old 2 Aug 2008, 20:11 (Ref:2262249)   #22
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic
The R8 TDi has a 5.9-litre V12 twin-turbo diesel with 493bhp and, more scarily, a massive 738lb ft of torque but can return 23mpg

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carrevi...0/audi_r8.html
Thats very imressive and a very good return of mileage too! IF they ever try it I would love to see how it compares to a F430 or 997.
Old 2 Aug 2008, 23:02 (Ref:2262317)   #23
hoppelemine
Racer

England
Dorset, UK
I think the R8 is four-wheel drive? If so that would create another issue with the rule book as I'm pretty sure that 4wd is not acceptable.
Old 3 Aug 2008, 01:00 (Ref:2262357)   #24
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
As are all Lamborghinis. Converting from AWD to RWD is no problem.
Old 3 Aug 2008, 03:49 (Ref:2262387)   #25
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well the V12 was built as a design exercise and they said it probably would not be produced last I saw, was almost at hot as the twin turbo V10 car and that burned to the shell. The concept car had all kinds of openings for air flow and cooling so prob not a good GT motor. A diesel V8 wouldnt surprise me though