Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 15 Jul 2023, 08:32 (Ref:4168473)   #1
Malcolm Smith
Veteran

Malcolm Smith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oulton Park Gold Cup 28-30 July 2023

Oulton Park Gold Cup repeats last year's format of races from several promoters. Wide selection of cars and a celebration of sixty years since Jim Clark was the Gold Cup winner. Looking forward to a great event. Timetable:

https://msvstatic.blob.core.windows....table%20v3.pdf
Old 15 Jul 2023, 21:33 (Ref:4168554)   #2
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
We are trying to get Lotus 11 and Talbot Rally car ready for this but it’s a very last minute decision
Let’s see what happens? Two drivers getting their signatures in Talbot?
Old bloke in eleven
Old 15 Jul 2023, 23:12 (Ref:4168559)   #3
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've entered my new toy in the Special Saloons/Modsports race.

Currently working my way through the gremlins that reared their heads at a recent test session (the car hasn't been used for a long time...).

Hopefully can have the bugs ironed out in time, as I'm really looking forward to being a part of what promises to be a great event.
Old 16 Jul 2023, 12:35 (Ref:4168611)   #4
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D View Post

Currently working my way through the gremlins that reared their heads at a recent test session (the car hasn't been used for a long time...).

Hopefully can have the bugs ironed out in time, as I'm really looking forward to being a part of what promises to be a great event.

Was just trying to work out whether I could afford to come to Oulton for Saturday and Sunday as your qualy is Saturday.......

Hope the de-bugging is going OK - the car certainly showed promise......

I think you need a new avatar pic for your new toy
Old 16 Jul 2023, 14:44 (Ref:4168621)   #5
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A decent timetable, hope the entries are good and the weather works out it's July (camping for 3 nights).
Old 17 Jul 2023, 12:25 (Ref:4168751)   #6
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

Bo good to catch up again Paul
Old 17 Jul 2023, 23:24 (Ref:4168839)   #7
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Bo good to catch up again Paul
Will you be there?

If so, great news! We'll definitely have to arrange a meet.
Old 22 Jul 2023, 08:51 (Ref:4169383)   #8
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Derek Bell trophy and the Formula Ford races have disappeared and Friday now only has 60 minutes of meaningful running.
https://s.msv.com/Yd58nU
Old 22 Jul 2023, 12:23 (Ref:4169407)   #9
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MRL Entries out
https://www.motorracinglegends.com/entries-and-results/
Old 22 Jul 2023, 12:29 (Ref:4169408)   #10
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Event Entry List

https://hscc.org.uk/wp-content/uploa...k-Gold-cup.pdf
Old 22 Jul 2023, 18:04 (Ref:4169465)   #11
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by brands View Post
Derek Bell trophy and the Formula Ford races have disappeared
The FF1600s were originally intended to replace the Derek Bell Trophy for ThunderSports. As disappointed as I am that it's not been possible to stage a commerative trophy race for Simon Arron, I'm not, unfortunately, too surprised. The entry fee for the non-championship race was a little eye watering and has track action over three days. It would have been quite an expensive undertaking for any would be competitor for a last minute event.
Old 23 Jul 2023, 21:10 (Ref:4169623)   #12
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
GCCheddaris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's noticeable that having recovered for the Silverstone Classic meeting, the Spa Six Hours and the subsequent Silverstone and Donington meetings the entries for the two MRL races have slipped back to the level seen at last season's poorly supported meetings at Thruxton and Snetterton.
Old 29 Jul 2023, 21:56 (Ref:4170475)   #13
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Off down to this meeting tomorrow to support Paul D - who qualified 7th and 2nd in class today - which is good for his first outing apart from some brief testing the other week.

I've also got a few of my Alfa-driving mates to check up on, one in the same races as Paul - the Tony Sugden races, topping and tailing the day - and a few in the Gerry Marshall race.

I'll keep an eye out to see if Mr Rowley is about, too......

Fingers crossed for dry-ish weather
Old 30 Jul 2023, 15:39 (Ref:4170633)   #14
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Any idea what happened to the Clarke K and Clarke T Dolomites and the Golf GTi in the GM Trophy race?
Old 30 Jul 2023, 18:27 (Ref:4170658)   #15
percy
Racer

percy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I drove up to Oulton yesterday and enjoyed the racing and paddock banter. I now need to sort/edit quite a few photos...
Here are a few pics...
Attached Thumbnails
DSC04586.jpg   DSC04919.jpg   DSC05193.jpg  

DSC05392.jpg   DSC05548.jpg   DSC05749.jpg  

Old 30 Jul 2023, 22:47 (Ref:4170715)   #16
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Our Paul D acquited himself well today in his first outing in the Elan - 6th and second in class in the first race, and third and second in class in the very wet second race.....pipped from second place by the "CRX" on the way out of Knicker Brook on the last lap as the CRX recovered from a spin earlier on.....
Old 1 Aug 2023, 10:50 (Ref:4170915)   #17
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Yes, as Richard has already mentioned, we had a good weekend at the Gold Cup. It was great just to be involved in such an iconic event.

I know there will be the ones who say it's not the event it once was, and maybe that's so, but I reckon it's still a pretty big meeting which attracts plenty of varied and impressive machinery, and still pulls in good sized crowds to spectate.

We enjoyed it anyway!

And getting two pretty decent results on the car's maiden outing was a nice little bonus - and as has already been mentioned, if I could have hung on for two or three more corners, a P2 in the second - very wet - race was on the cards. Still, can't really complain at a podium!

For anyone who's interested, that's me in the orange Modsports Elan pictured in Percy's post above. Good pictures by the way Percy! Any more of the Elan?
Old 1 Aug 2023, 12:16 (Ref:4170920)   #18
Malcolm Smith
Veteran

Thoroughly enjoyed the event and prefer the variety of grids from different organisers, rather than purely HSCC as in the past. Classic car display was excellent. Weather was dry too, until 3pm Sunday....
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN3960.JPG   P1680016.jpg   P1680042.jpg  

P1680051.jpg   P1680058.JPG   P1680068.JPG  

Old 1 Aug 2023, 12:20 (Ref:4170921)   #19
Malcolm Smith
Veteran

Photos 2:
Attached Thumbnails
P1680188.jpg   P1680347.jpg   P1680348.jpg  

P1680381.JPG   P1680439.jpg   P1680513.jpg  

Old 1 Aug 2023, 18:41 (Ref:4170978)   #20
percy
Racer

percy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

For anyone who's interested, that's me in the orange Modsports Elan pictured in Percy's post above. Good pictures by the way Percy! Any more of the Elan?
Just one other...
Attached Thumbnails
DSC05715 1.jpg  
Old 7 Aug 2023, 12:25 (Ref:4171771)   #21
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
For anyone who's interested, that's me in the orange Modsports Elan pictured in Percy's post above.
What a wing! So this is your "new toy" then. Superb.
Old 7 Aug 2023, 13:32 (Ref:4171781)   #22
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Yes Gerard, what a wing indeed! Glad you like it. It is indeed my new toy.

Don't know how much the wing actually does, but the car feels well planted in high-speed corners, so hopefully it's doing some good...
Old 7 Aug 2023, 14:20 (Ref:4171788)   #23
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
If you want to check how it works, nothing more simple. Take one action cam, two would be better, and improvize you own wind tunnel. Transparent tape and a ball of thick yam of contrasting color (may be white would be good in your case) are necessary. Stick some pieces at places that can be filmed and just observe and deduct after driving one or few laps. You might be surprised as we were with a brick, aka Pug 505 T, to see how air goes in an out through the engine bay. I suppose your front rad position is almost horizontal? You'll see if the air comes out from the bonnet as intended. Same for the rear window and so on. First the others will laugh. If they do the same later on, well it means it's a good idea! To be tested druing FP, not the race for obvious reasons…