Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 6 Sep 2005, 20:29 (Ref:1400775)   #1
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New American Track

I wasn't sure where to post this but decided this forum would see the most impact, at least in the immediate future.

There is a new track under construction just outside of Salt Lake City. It will be the longest road course in the USA. Paving is nearing completion. HERE is a link to the track's website for those who are interested.

Major announcements are scheduled for tomorrow evening and most particularly for the 2006 event schedule. From what I understand there are several events now signed for the 2006 season which impact the schedules of a few major sanctioning bodies particularly in the areas of sports car/gt racing and motorcyles. Hence my post in this forum.

I will keep you posted as the announcement is made tomorrow.
Old 6 Sep 2005, 20:33 (Ref:1400779)   #2
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
done to FIA standards ???

Ciao Marco
Old 6 Sep 2005, 20:38 (Ref:1400783)   #3
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Yes indeed it is, or should I say will be by opening.
Old 6 Sep 2005, 20:47 (Ref:1400789)   #4
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
good . that means FIA sanctioned series can race on it .. who knows . maybe F1

Ciao Marco
Old 6 Sep 2005, 20:47 (Ref:1400790)   #5
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Miller Motorsports Park will be a top-notch facility....

Alan Wilson is a superb designer who has handled a number of major projects....

He has overseen the Salt Lake City venue personally....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 6 Sep 2005, 21:03 (Ref:1400804)   #6
Flat12-Aircool
Veteran

United Kingdom
Stoke-on-Trent (The Potteries)
Flat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFlat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks just like another "Dubai International Raceway" carved out of the desert, exactly what F1 doesn't need. Can't ever see the FIA making use of this circuit...
Old 6 Sep 2005, 21:05 (Ref:1400806)   #7
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The banked corner onto the straight should be a great spectacle for powerful cars (hopefully). How long before the big series like the ALMS and Grand Am pay it a visit?
Old 6 Sep 2005, 21:08 (Ref:1400809)   #8
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Who knows....

Maybe sooner than you think......

Old 6 Sep 2005, 21:13 (Ref:1400813)   #9
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
with the length of the track, I'd like to see maybe a new ALMS 6 or 10 hour event, advertised as a big event like Sebring so we can have quite a lot of cars there...?
Old 6 Sep 2005, 21:26 (Ref:1400819)   #10
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
I realize that it is hard to judge by aerial photos but I beleive the total elevation differential for this track is 230'. It's not as flat as one would think by looking at the pictures.
Old 6 Sep 2005, 21:28 (Ref:1400821)   #11
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
I believe that somewhere in that site, it does give the total elevation changes....

Don't believ it is that high....but the place certainly isn't "Flat"

Old 6 Sep 2005, 22:58 (Ref:1400890)   #12
Brian W Keske
Racer

Brian W Keske should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would expect this venue to be on ALMS's 2006 schedule, possibly replacing Sears (Infineon).
Old 6 Sep 2005, 23:47 (Ref:1400916)   #13
billnchristy
Veteran

United States
Lawrenceville GA
billnchristy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It certainly will be a nice addition for many race series.

However, and maybe this place will change that, any race taking place in the west has had significantly lower car counts than the eastern rounds.

A good example of this would be GA at Phoenix this weekend, a normal car count of 41-46 is now 38. Teams just dont want to spend the loot to race out west. Hopefully the series that add it to the schedule can figure out some incentives or a one time sweep of all western races to accomidate this.

Also, I cant believe 200 feet of elevation change after seeing the ariel shots, maybe 20, but not 200.

Old 7 Sep 2005, 00:35 (Ref:1400938)   #14
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
nice that there is a track being built, but there is nothing there... no trees, no natural hazards, little ambience, perhap s they are not done with the project, and it could be a stunner..
Old 7 Sep 2005, 01:16 (Ref:1400958)   #15
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Just checked with some freinds working on the track. On the east half-track the elevation change is 124' in the north/south direction and 93' in the east/west direction on the west half-track the elevation change is 96' in the north/south direction and 42' east-west. On the full track they say the full change low/high point is 230'. I will be racing in the inaugural kart race this weekend and see if I can get some pictures that give a feel from ground zero. Better yet, I will take some panorama shots so you get the scope of the bowl of mountains the track sits in gt. It's very stunning actually but you are right it needs some water features and landscaping. They must be in the plans somewhere. Up to this point all that's been there is sheep dung so either way I'm happy.
Old 7 Sep 2005, 02:45 (Ref:1400991)   #16
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatspot
Just checked with some freinds working on the track. On the east half-track the elevation change is 124' in the north/south direction and 93' in the east/west direction on the west half-track the elevation change is 96' in the north/south direction and 42' east-west. On the full track they say the full change low/high point is 230'. I will be racing in the inaugural kart race this weekend and see if I can get some pictures that give a feel from ground zero. Better yet, I will take some panorama shots so you get the scope of the bowl of mountains the track sits in gt. It's very stunning actually but you are right it needs some water features and landscaping. They must be in the plans somewhere. Up to this point all that's been there is sheep dung so either way I'm happy.

Are you going to the big event at the Delta Center tomorrow, Flatspot????

I'm hoping that the event will include some of their schedule highlights, and I'm really hoping that the ALMS is going there in 2006

Old 7 Sep 2005, 02:55 (Ref:1400993)   #17
Supercar
Rookie

Russian Federation
Supercar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This track looks familiar:
http://optimumg.com/news_archives.htm#May05
-------------------
OPTIMUMG TO CREATE TRACK SIMULATION FOR WILSON MOTORSPORTS
OptimumG has forged an agreement with WILSON Motorsport, owned by world-renown Alan and Desire Wilson, to create a simulation of a new circuit being built at Deseret Peak in Tooele, Utah.

Alan Wilson designs race circuits all over the world, and one thing they all have in common is a focus on safety. OptimumG will be playing an integral role in the safety aspects of the new circuit to be built just south of Salt Lake City, Utah.

By creating a simulation of the track before it is built, OptimumG engineers can tell Wilson what speeds he can expect to see at various points on the track.

With this information, the correct runoff area can be determined.

The simulation will also take into account various types of vehicles to ensure safety from every type of race from motorcycles and karts to lightweight prototypes to sports cars.

Alan Wilson's design, supported by OptimumG's simulation, will result in a safe, attractive circuit for Miller Motorsports Park that is enjoyable and challenging for all types of motorsport competition.
---------------------------
Philip
Old 7 Sep 2005, 03:52 (Ref:1401007)   #18
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
That's certainly the track Supercar. On the website there are pieces of the simulation in rudamentary form.

Yes, Tim I will be going to the Delta Center. Tailgate BBQ for all the local car clubs starts at 4:00. The primary purpose of the event is to roll out the schedule of major events for next year. From what I'm hearing it will be a very aggresive schedule of major events for a new track. We'll see. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that what I hear is true and will post the results tomorrow night when I return from the event.
Old 7 Sep 2005, 11:58 (Ref:1401280)   #19
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This all looks pretty exciting - when was the last new American circuit? I mean from scratch - so not really counting the changes made at Indy to run F1 there...
Old 7 Sep 2005, 12:02 (Ref:1401284)   #20
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewBob
This all looks pretty exciting - when was the last new American circuit? I mean from scratch - so not really counting the changes made at Indy to run F1 there...
Isnt the las vagas track quite new?
Old 7 Sep 2005, 13:01 (Ref:1401356)   #21
LouisTheShark
Racer

LouisTheShark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLouisTheShark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From the rumors I have heard, I am 90% sure this track is on the Grand Am schedule for 2006. I have not heard any ALMS rumors about this track, but that doesn't mean it can't happen.
Old 7 Sep 2005, 13:03 (Ref:1401358)   #22
Brian W Keske
Racer

Brian W Keske should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe Atherton dropped a hint regarding this track. Don't have a link on hand...
Old 7 Sep 2005, 18:50 (Ref:1401629)   #23
LouisTheShark
Racer

LouisTheShark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLouisTheShark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hadn't seen it until you just mentioned it. Atherton hinted about Utah in Autoweek.

http://www.autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=103087
Old 7 Sep 2005, 21:27 (Ref:1401712)   #24
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal
Isnt the las vagas track quite new?
I don't know - which I guess is why I'm asking - I'm not up to date on the building of American tracks - but whilst F1 goes off letting "far reaching" countries bid for races and all these huge new venues, it's quite nice to hear of another track being built in a place already familiar to motorsport - but having known nothing other than Indy building a conversion for F1 and this new track now, it made me wonder how old most of the rest of the circuits are, and which are the newest...?
Old 7 Sep 2005, 21:36 (Ref:1401718)   #25
BobN
Racer

BobN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Louis, this has a bit more detail than the Autoweek article.

ALMS to race in Utah in 2006 In another landmark development for 2006, the American Le Mans Series announced Wednesday night its association with the new Miller Motorsports Park, which will play host to an ALMS event next summer.

The Grand Prix of Utah, the new track’s marquee event of 2006, is scheduled for July 13-15 and will be televised on CBS Sports. Wednesday’s announcement came at Salt Lake City’s Delta Center, where series drivers Emanuele Pirro of Champion Racing and Petersen Motorsports/White Lightning Racing’s Patrick Long were present, along with ALMS President and CEO Scott Atherton.

Salt Lake City is a top-40 television market, according to Nielsen Media Research, and the area provides a regional link for the ALMS that bridges the Road America market in Wisconsin to the West Coast.

“Anytime the American Le Mans Series adds a new venue to the schedule, it’s big news,” Atherton said. “However, when the addition involves an important business market and features a brand new world-class, purpose-built road-racing facility, it becomes much more.”

At 4.5 miles, Miller Motorsports Park, located in Tooele, Utah, will be the longest track in the ALMS, as well as the longest in the United States, featuring a 3,500-foot main straight. The configuration also will feature 24 turns, again an ALMS record.

The track is located on a 511-acre site in Tooele County’s Deseret Peak Complex, which is 25 minutes from the Salt Lake City International Airport. The facility is being built by Larry H. Miller, owner of the Utah Jazz NBA franchise, the Delta Center arena in downtown Salt Lake City, KJZZ-TV station, movie theatres, a theme restaurant, the Salt Lake Stingers minor league baseball team and more than 38 auto dealerships.

Renowned track designer Alan Wilson, who is also the CEO/General Manager of Miller Motorsports Park, designed the layout. Among his other works are more than 20 other well-known courses including Barber Motorsports Park, Carolina Motorsports Park and BeaveRun Motorsports Park, as well as many prestigious kart track facilities.

Along with the main configuration, the road course is designed with three sub-tracks; a 2.24 mile East Track, a 2.2 mile West Track, and a 3.06 mile Outer Track.

“It sounds exciting,” said Long, the United States’ only factory driver for Porsche. “If the length is similar to Road America, it’s going to be impressive. The demographic is great. Hopefully that will help bridge the gap from the Midwest to the West Coast.”

Long (GT2) and Pirro (LMP1), both championship leaders in their respective classes, were thrilled to be part of the announcement. Neither one said they have seen the 4.5-mile, 25-turn road course, but expressed a tremendous amount of optimism about the venue and the success it will see with the ALMS.

“For our team and our sponsors, it’s a strategic area,” said Pirro, who drives an Audi R8 for Champion. “It’s always good to be in a new part of the country to present our show and give the TV fans an opportunity to watch us for real. From a driver’s point of view, I’m interested and can’t wait to see the racetrack.”

With four classes of sports cars, Miller Motorsports Park seems to be a perfect fit for the American Le Mans Series. From the ultra-exotic prototypes to familiar production-based GT cars, there will no shortage of excitement at any spot on the track.

“The new Miller Motorsports Park is the most impressive new road-racing venue in America,” said IMSA COO Tim Mayer. “The facilities will be spectacular, and the course certainly will provide a stern test for the teams and drivers of the American Le Mans Series. There is a rich history of motorsports in the western United States, and we are proud to be continuing that tradition when the ALMS visits Miller Motorsports Park for the first time.”