Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 1 Nov 2018, 11:32 (Ref:3860331)   #626
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It definitely feels like IMSA, manufacturers and the teams didn't discuss this at all prior to the announcement. I can understand IMSA not wanting to run unhomologated cars, but at the same time there is nothing to gain by running the older spec car on the new tires. But it also doesn't seem like many GT4 or TCR, not that they were many TCRs anyway, are taking the chance to run either. It's a good idea, but might just be the good idea on paper not so good in reality kind of thing.

When will the Evo cars be on track for their GT3 homologation runs? I'm assuming hopefully before Daytona or will we have this fun all over again in the spring.

It's also quite funny the event is being run the same weekend as the IMSA sponsored Daytona Classic with HSR. Sorry but if I was in the area you would lose to the historics every time IMSA, and a decent entry list it is so far.

Last edited by broadrun96; 1 Nov 2018 at 11:39.
Old 2 Nov 2018, 23:19 (Ref:3860630)   #627
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's really changed the race from an interest generating event with 4 potential manufacturers debuting updated cars to dropping the class altogether. I still plan on checking it out though, at Daytona all day Saturday for the Classic 24 then Sebring Sunday for the 4 hour. Still sounds like a good weekend!
Old 3 Nov 2018, 01:41 (Ref:3860636)   #628
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yesterday Juncos received their Dallara chassis to build the Cadillac.

Old 4 Nov 2018, 00:04 (Ref:3860817)   #629
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Very deep inside the sporting regulation document on page 121. We have the class color codes

white = dpi
blue = lmp2
red = gtlm
green = gtd

I agree with having 4 colors. I don't agree with the format. It should match how WEC (and ALMS) does things. GTLM should be green. DPI should be red. GTD could be orange or white. Maybe they thought it would be too much of a hassel for the numerous GTD teams to get rid of the green trims they have on their cars. Even the Paul Miller Lambo added it at Petit Le Mans.

Granted red I always associate with the top class in the series :-) I do consider GTLM to be this, even though they are not the fastest
Old 6 Nov 2018, 03:03 (Ref:3861274)   #630
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its fine for DPis, simply because they aren't Lmp1s

Not sure why the GT class color is messed up however.
Old 9 Nov 2018, 19:45 (Ref:3862039)   #631
MaskedRacer
Veteran

S365 finally gives us an update about the Zanardi customized BMW. Glad to see that is going to happen. Right now I suppose GTLM at Daytona is projected at 10 cars. The 8 full season runners from 2018, Risi, plus the Zanardi driven BMW.

Nothing yet on extra Fords, extra Porsches, AF Corse Ferrari, nor Aston Martin. If any of these happen we'll probably hear it within the next month at this point.
Old 9 Nov 2018, 20:20 (Ref:3862048)   #632
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
S365 finally gives us an update about the Zanardi customized BMW. Glad to see that is going to happen. Right now I suppose GTLM at Daytona is projected at 10 cars. The 8 full season runners from 2018, Risi, plus the Zanardi driven BMW.

Nothing yet on extra Fords, extra Porsches, AF Corse Ferrari, nor Aston Martin. If any of these happen we'll probably hear it within the next month at this point.
Isn't Zanardi actually joining one of the full-season BMW crews though?
Old 13 Nov 2018, 18:27 (Ref:3863105)   #633
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Couple of recent news items for next season. First, ESM not only doesn't have a deal in place, but sold their pit equipment and transporters. And Nissan won't pay the manufacturers fee.

https://racer.com/2018/11/13/esm-rea...-race-in-2019/

Second, JDC will have new driver pairings, with Simpson staying in the 99 and Goikhberg moving over to the 85. No word on co-drivers as of yet.

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/s...sition-to-dpi/

I guess GM paying that entry fee really has helped teams decide on what machinery to get.
Old 13 Nov 2018, 19:39 (Ref:3863138)   #634
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Couple of recent news items for next season. First, ESM not only doesn't have a deal in place, but sold their pit equipment and transporters. And Nissan won't pay the manufacturers fee.

https://racer.com/2018/11/13/esm-rea...-race-in-2019/

Second, JDC will have new driver pairings, with Simpson staying in the 99 and Goikhberg moving over to the 85. No word on co-drivers as of yet.

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/s...sition-to-dpi/

I guess GM paying that entry fee really has helped teams decide on what machinery to get.
So, not looking good for ESM. Entry fee to pay. Sponsors gone. Van Overbeek retired, Derani moved on.
What is left? Sharp and Dalziel? A couple of cars they don't even own?

A pity, I really liked that team. When they were bad they were really bad, but when they were good, they were really good.
Old 13 Nov 2018, 21:06 (Ref:3863160)   #635
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
how much manufacturer fee?
Old 13 Nov 2018, 21:24 (Ref:3863165)   #636
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

EffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsedEffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsed
I liked them too, but anyone could see without the Brown millions that team was never gonna go anywhere. I was hoping they would find a sponsor to maybe let them race an LMP2 car or something though.

Last edited by EffectiveSprinkles; 13 Nov 2018 at 21:35.
Old 13 Nov 2018, 22:42 (Ref:3863188)   #637
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Heard about ESM through Marshall/Graham podcast. Perhaps they can consider GT possibilities. ESM is originally a GTLM team.
Old 14 Nov 2018, 14:28 (Ref:3863291)   #638
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by canaglia View Post
how much manufacturer fee?
I believe a number of $1 million was mentioned previously.
Old 14 Nov 2018, 14:42 (Ref:3863295)   #639
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
So, not looking good for ESM. Entry fee to pay. Sponsors gone. Van Overbeek retired, Derani moved on.
What is left? Sharp and Dalziel? A couple of cars they don't even own?

A pity, I really liked that team. When they were bad they were really bad, but when they were good, they were really good.
Staff is the last thing to go it sounds like, hopefully peeps will find other employment in the series/business.

Holding out hope Lexus will step up to the DPi ranks after 2019 to offset the loss of ESM.
Old 14 Nov 2018, 20:49 (Ref:3863349)   #640
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
Staff is the last thing to go it sounds like, hopefully peeps will find other employment in the series/business.

Holding out hope Lexus will step up to the DPi ranks after 2019 to offset the loss of ESM.
GTLM would be better. Not much they will have to do to make the current GT3 faster. More aero, an advanced diffuser, all pro drivers, custom tires, removal of the GTD BoP, and you are there. The BMW M6 is an example of a special dispensation being made to allow a car to run in GTLM. Should be ok to do since nobody else is doing that right now.
Old 14 Nov 2018, 21:08 (Ref:3863357)   #641
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

I quit to hope...
lexus dpi would be made in less than 30 days if only toyota would....
toyota has a special sinergy with oreca; they would just take a 07, switch gibson with 5.4 V8 from lexus gt3 and spend some hour to design a frontal section to make it look different from acura dpi....

but guess it would remain just a dream
Old 15 Nov 2018, 00:05 (Ref:3863379)   #642
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:

Do we have confirmation that they're out of DPi? I know they're rapidly running out of time to get the funding together, but I've seen nothing final myself.
Old 15 Nov 2018, 00:59 (Ref:3863382)   #643
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
GTLM would be better. Not much they will have to do to make the current GT3 faster. More aero, an advanced diffuser, all pro drivers, custom tires, removal of the GTD BoP, and you are there. The BMW M6 is an example of a special dispensation being made to allow a car to run in GTLM. Should be ok to do since nobody else is doing that right now.

The series would do better with a dpi. Prototypes are headlines. As proven ironically by esm, a flicker here and a sticker there make a dpi. And the engine of course (super easy to type while cooking dinner this evening), but if a privateer could get the lexus engine in a p2 chassis, the manufacturer fee wouldn't be the prohibiting factor.

IMSA is shooting for an image. Dpi achieves that image more than gtlm.
Old 15 Nov 2018, 07:45 (Ref:3863407)   #644
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post
The series would do better with a dpi. Prototypes are headlines. As proven ironically by esm, a flicker here and a sticker there make a dpi. And the engine of course (super easy to type while cooking dinner this evening), but if a privateer could get the lexus engine in a p2 chassis, the manufacturer fee wouldn't be the prohibiting factor.

IMSA is shooting for an image. Dpi achieves that image more than gtlm.
That's how I see GTLM and GTE for WEC as well. It's brilliant for us hardcore fans who really appreciate it, but the Prototypes grab the headlines and get new people in the door.

Came for DPi. Stayed for GTLM.
Old 16 Nov 2018, 15:52 (Ref:3863632)   #645
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Huge disappointment to see ESM leaving their DPis parked next year. How can a winning team/car being unable to find a sponsor? It shows the no interest by Nissan with their lack of support.
ESM did a great job creating this car and winning races while Mazda took the difficult path.

I really really will miss these two cars
Old 16 Nov 2018, 19:35 (Ref:3863658)   #646
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian Baldi View Post
Huge disappointment to see ESM leaving their DPis parked next year. How can a winning team/car being unable to find a sponsor? It shows the no interest by Nissan with their lack of support.
ESM did a great job creating this car and winning races while Mazda took the difficult path.

I really really will miss these two cars
But when you break down the DPis, and even the rest of the field, are any of them sponsored by something not affiliated with the team or driver? Are any of the teams funded independent primary sponsors in the field, I can't think of any off the top of my head. But that may be more my not recognizing the sponsors than their existence.
Old 16 Nov 2018, 19:40 (Ref:3863660)   #647
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Ouch for a few teams with the new adjustments from IMSA and the FIA:

Madison Snow and Sheldon Van der Linde are both up to Gold for IMSA only it seems, and "Under recommendation by IMSA, a number of current Silver-rated IMSA drivers were also upgraded by the FIA, including Katherine Legge, Mario Farnbacher, Kyle Marcelli, Gunnar Jeannette, Daniel Morad and Sean Rayhall."

From S365 https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/i...inde-to-golds/
Old 16 Nov 2018, 21:21 (Ref:3863671)   #648
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Ouch for a few teams with the new adjustments from IMSA and the FIA:

Madison Snow and Sheldon Van der Linde are both up to Gold for IMSA only it seems, and "Under recommendation by IMSA, a number of current Silver-rated IMSA drivers were also upgraded by the FIA, including Katherine Legge, Mario Farnbacher, Kyle Marcelli, Gunnar Jeannette, Daniel Morad and Sean Rayhall."

From S365 https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/i...inde-to-golds/
I can't argue with the decision by IMSA, but I have no clue what Paul Miller will do now. Or what Madison will do for that matter.
Old 16 Nov 2018, 21:46 (Ref:3863675)   #649
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
WolfsburgRS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was under the impression that Madison was still paying to race...and even if he won a championship if he's paying I would think he should still be a silver. Christina after all won multiple championships and is still silver.

If he was pay driver in 2018 and they still bumped him to Gold I feel like that would be somewhat unprecedented.

Van der Linde is on Audi's payroll, so I can't argue with that one in the slightest.
Old 16 Nov 2018, 22:38 (Ref:3863684)   #650
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsburgRS View Post
I was under the impression that Madison was still paying to race...and even if he won a championship if he's paying I would think he should still be a silver. Christina after all won multiple championships and is still silver.

If he was pay driver in 2018 and they still bumped him to Gold I feel like that would be somewhat unprecedented.

Van der Linde is on Audi's payroll, so I can't argue with that one in the slightest.
I believe he is paying for at least some of it but he's almost as fast as Sellers in the car. He seems to be one of the true Ams that is outside of the usual expectations of a guy like the Eds in prototypes and can truly pedal a car with the best of them. But he has a family history of speed, his mom was FAST in old GTs and I believe ran old turbo 911s back in the day, his dad was no slouch himself and McKay is quick as well.

As for staying Silver because he pays and does not generate his living mostly from racing, I would say Gold in IMSA is right as he is fast. I would say limiting that to GTD should be required, if he wants to bring the funds to run a P2 car than he should be Silver again. He is MUCH faster than Christina so I don't think that's a fair comparison.