Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 2 Feb 2018, 12:40 (Ref:3797713)   #301
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Dont be nice Bob, this could wreck your bad reputation … Hi hi !
Old 2 Feb 2018, 13:13 (Ref:3797724)   #302
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Gerard, 200 years ago a famous highway man (brigand) Bad Bob Borble buried his ill gotten gains in a field near a little village called Luton. Luton is now a large town and the treasure still lies buried beneath it's street, and people areconstantly digging holes trying to find it, so the roads in Luton are full of potholes.
I think people think it's anywhere where the name begins with L because the County of Leicestershire has em breeding
Old 2 Feb 2018, 14:06 (Ref:3797735)   #303
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
I think people think it's anywhere where the name begins with L because the County of Leicestershire has em breeding
Ah! What not many people realise that here in Luton the Council has hired a major contractor to excavate all of the potholes and ship them off to Leicestershire, where they are barely noticeable because of the poor state of the roads in that county anyway.
Due the having removed the offending potholes the Council are now tendering for a contractor to fill in the cavaties left behind.

So far three contractors have put in a bid;

The first was an Irishman who asked for £3000. The Chief Clerk asked him for a breakdown of the costs;

"Well Sor, one t'ousand for you, one t'ousand for me, and one t'ousand to do the job!

The second bidder was English who quoted £6000, same question.

Well Guv, two grand for you, two grand for me, and two grand to do the job.

The last contractor was Jewish he wanted £9000. He was asked for a breakdown of costs;

Oy vey! My Friend. Three thousand for you, three thousand for me, and three thousand for Paddy. Let him do the job!

That is how things work in Luton.
Old 2 Feb 2018, 14:17 (Ref:3797738)   #304
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Ah! What not many people realise that here in Luton the Council has hired a major contractor to excavate all of the potholes and ship them off to Leicestershire, where they are barely noticeable because of the poor state of the roads in that county anyway.
Due the having removed the offending potholes the Council are now tendering for a contractor to fill in the cavaties left behind.

The first was an Irishman who asked for £3000. The Chief Clerk asked him for a breakdown of the costs;

"Well Sor, one t'ousand for you, one t'ousand for me, and one t'ousand to do the job!

The last contractor was Jewish he wanted £9000. He was asked for a breakdown of costs;

Oy vey! My Friend. Three thousand for you, three thousand for me, and three thousand for Paddy. Let him do the job!

Are you sure you're allowed to touch your potholes, Bob?

I understand many of them in Sheffield, for example, are now listed as ancient monuments so are sacrosanct. I#d hate to see you getting in deep water (other than falling in the pothole, that is).

Gerard, have you seen the magazine 'ebdo'? It's got a very rude article about Brexit & Clacton.
Old 2 Feb 2018, 14:19 (Ref:3797740)   #305
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

By the way Bob, many of your future residents are busy shooting each other in Calais, so that should help ease the housing shortage!
Old 2 Feb 2018, 16:14 (Ref:3797775)   #306
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
By the way Bob, many of your future residents are busy shooting each other in Calais, so that should help ease the housing shortage!
Have you got a gun John? Perhaps you go along and help out.

As they say "Every little helps."

Could help fill up the potholes as well.
Old 2 Feb 2018, 16:25 (Ref:3797777)   #307
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:

Surprisingly enough I take exception to this post, in particular the inference that Leicestershire has to import its potholes.
I must point out that here in Leicestershire we have a long tradition of creating our own, to a very high standard and often to a particularly generous size.
You may recall that recently the body of King Richard III was found buried in Leicester, I can now reveal that this was actually in an historic pothole that had been hurriedly filled in by an Irishman sent up from Luton!
Old 2 Feb 2018, 16:52 (Ref:3797782)   #308
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The standard of banter on here seems to have picked up somewhat, so uplifting to hear some jocular frivolity on the subject of potholes, must be the potential of Spring in the air. I'm given to believe that the current plethora of potholes in West Sussex are second to none in terms of the bone jarring received in my rather ancient VW transporter.
Old 2 Feb 2018, 16:57 (Ref:3797784)   #309
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Gerard, have you seen the magazine 'ebdo'? It's got a very rude article about Brexit & Clacton.
Nope John, didnt read it. What I can say from my last english invoice is that your GBP is still doing well!
I have absolutely no opinion about Brexit - how could I? - but if you relate it to historic racing, tracks, parts, preparers, knowledge and much more, we need to go to England for "shopping".
Vice versa doesn't work in this matter.
Old 2 Feb 2018, 17:07 (Ref:3797788)   #310
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
The standard of banter on here seems to have picked up somewhat, so uplifting to hear some jocular frivolity on the subject of potholes, must be the potential of Spring in the air. I'm given to believe that the current plethora of potholes in West Sussex are second to none in terms of the bone jarring received in my rather ancient VW transporter.
Like Viva I too take exception to this post at the inference that our deeply meaningful discussion on the important subject of potholes is described as mere 'banter' by some Hobble Dehoy from West Sussex! Where ever the heck that is.

I suppose that in West Sussex potholes are a subject for humour, maybe as the result of people driving German cars, however, in anywhere beginning with 'L' it a deadly serious matter indeed.

I understand that a bill is going through parliament at the moment that would allow the export of all of the nation's potholes to France, or at least those parts beginning with L. Lyons, Lille, Lourdes etc,

Oh! I have found myself in agreement with VivaGT! I must go and lie down for a while.

NB; I am quite surprised that Mr Bell has not added his two penn'orth to the subject as surely Norfolk has a fine selection of depressions in the roads.
Old 2 Feb 2018, 17:09 (Ref:3797789)   #311
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Like Viva I too take exception to this post at the inference that our deeply meaningful discussion on the important subject of potholes is described as mere 'banter' by some Hobble Dehoy from West Sussex! Where ever the heck that is.

I suppose that in West Sussex potholes are a subject for humour, maybe as the result of people driving German cars, however, in anywhere beginning with 'L' it a deadly serious matter indeed.

I understand that a bill is going through parliament at the moment that would allow the export of all of the nation's potholes to France, or at least those parts beginning with L. Lyons, Lille, Lourdes etc,

Oh! I have found myself in agreement with VivaGT! I must go and lie down for a while.

NB; I am quite surprised that Mr Bell has not added his two penn'orth to the subject as surely Norfolk has a fine selection of depressions in the roads.
I think these will be found around Lowestoft...
Old 2 Feb 2018, 17:23 (Ref:3797794)   #312
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I think these will be found around Lowestoft...
That's alright then, because they'll be in Suffolk! They've also got Leiston, & Long Melford to name but two.
Old 2 Feb 2018, 17:24 (Ref:3797795)   #313
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Feisty stuff from the provinces or has Bedfordshire finally been repatriated to Bangladesh?
Old 2 Feb 2018, 17:32 (Ref:3797799)   #314
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I’ve been trying to clamber out of a pothole, hence lack of comment......
Old 2 Feb 2018, 18:20 (Ref:3797807)   #315
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Mike, please dont try too hard, I've been told you have not one but two suicide doors fitted to your car. And enough electricity to kill some birds around.
Bob, in Lourdes we have a really big pot hole. Bring your Opel, buy 3 tires and get one free. They call it a miracle… By the way, can you swim?
Old 2 Feb 2018, 18:39 (Ref:3797815)   #316
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Mike, please dont try too hard, I've been told you have not one but two suicide doors fitted to your car. And enough electricity to kill some birds around.
I had to drive through a flood couple of weeks ago, and survived to tell the tale- no short circuit..... I then read the owners manual!

For Grant- just reading in a flying mag about a new Turboprop engine. 35% of components are made by ‘additive manufacturing’, which I believe means 3D printing. Saves 5% in weight and reduces total component count. No mention of turbine blades being made that way, though!
Old 2 Feb 2018, 18:50 (Ref:3797819)   #317
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
You all might be impressed to know that I do own a 50% share in a 3 D printer .,You will all also need to know that I don’t have a clue how to operated the machine .
Old 2 Feb 2018, 19:31 (Ref:3797828)   #318
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
You all might be impressed to know that I do own a 50% share in a 3 D printer .,You will all also need to know that I don’t have a clue how to operated the machine .
The other 50% has yet to be printed!
Old 2 Feb 2018, 19:37 (Ref:3797829)   #319
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
I had to drive through a flood couple of weeks ago, and survived to tell the tale- no short circuit..... I then read the owners manual!

For Grant- just reading in a flying mag about a new Turboprop engine. 35% of components are made by ‘additive manufacturing’, which I believe means 3D printing. Saves 5% in weight and reduces total component count. No mention of turbine blades being made that way, though!
Interesting.

I think there are a number of less stressed components that would be good candidates for current AM capabilities.

http://www.lboro.ac.uk/research/amrg...manufacturing/

A former colleague of mine was peripherally involved with what was a former iteration of the Loughborough group over a decade ago. His involvement was IT related.

The opportunity to create complex and difficult to machine products from some variant of 3D printing is clearly very attractive both from an engineering POV and form an economic POV if the overall process can be made responsive to demand and cost effective.
Old 2 Feb 2018, 20:09 (Ref:3797837)   #320
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
You all might be impressed to know that I do own a 50% share in a 3 D printer .,You will all also need to know that I don’t have a clue how to operate the machine .
Old 2 Feb 2018, 20:48 (Ref:3797845)   #321
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
Feisty stuff from the provinces or has Bedfordshire finally been repatriated to Bangladesh?
JR you are displaying your lack of an A level in Gehograffy. Luton is the CAPITAL of Bangladash.
Old 3 Feb 2018, 05:39 (Ref:3797925)   #322
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Its either Delta took another 50% of an other machine or he is talking about the machine bought last year together with another forum member? In this case he feels no hurry to print anything! May be he's waiting for the machine to become a classic…

Ami Lobert, this is not Gehoglaffy this is an allangement between two govelnments for Luton have good food. Ya no, good food to it wiz you mouz. And let me tell you zat Luton was not chosen because the L in its name but because thele is no R in it! No wolly, same thing happened in Manchestel and Bilmingham befole. Flee tika evely flyday evening…
Old 3 Feb 2018, 08:00 (Ref:3797959)   #323
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Its either Delta took another 50% of an other machine or he is talking about the machine bought last year together with another forum member? In this case he feels no hurry to print anything! May be he's waiting for the machine to become a classic…

Ami Lobert, this is not Gehoglaffy this is an allangement between two govelnments for Luton have good food. Ya no, good food to it wiz you mouz. And let me tell you zat Luton was not chosen because the L in its name but because thele is no R in it! No wolly, same thing happened in Manchestel and Bilmingham befole. Flee tika evely flyday evening…
Gewad, yoll glasp of Blitish, is wondelfull, weally impwessive Juss wun mistaik. Well dun.

Wobet
Old 3 Feb 2018, 08:08 (Ref:3797962)   #324
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Gewad, yoll glasp of Blitish, is wondelfull, weally impwessive Juss wun mistaik. Well dun.

Wobet

Finally, after all these years you're beginning to make sense Bob!
Old 3 Feb 2018, 08:57 (Ref:3797971)   #325
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Finally, after all these years you're beginning to make sense Bob!

Oh! Damn!