Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 15 Nov 2001, 01:01 (Ref:174757)   #1
H16
Racer

H16 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What was the story behind the "Dauer" Porsche 962

Why is the 1994 Porsche 962 refered to as a "Dauer Porsche"? It seems to me just to be the latest version of the 962 from the Porsche factory. Is it true that the car was listed under the GT banner?!?

Can anyone tell me what the deal was there?
Old 15 Nov 2001, 01:41 (Ref:174764)   #2
Heeltoe6
Veteran

Heeltoe6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chuck Dressing gives a little insight into it here
http://www.speedvision.com/pub/artic...00609cd09.html
Old 15 Nov 2001, 15:39 (Ref:174922)   #3
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I could not get the link to work, but I think the Porsche 962 was being regulated out of racing by new homologation rules. Dauer stepped in and built several road versions of the Porsche 962 to satisfy these rules and kept the 962 alive in GTP racing. I remember seeing pictures of the road version in Road & Track. It used a seriously detuned version of the leMans engine. Kind of the same thing Porsche did with the GT1 and Mercedes did with the CLK GTR.
Old 15 Nov 2001, 19:07 (Ref:175070)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Re: What was the story behind the "Dauer" Porsche 962

Quote:
Originally posted by H16
Why is the 1994 Porsche 962 refered to as a "Dauer Porsche"? It seems to me just to be the latest version of the 962 from the Porsche factory. Is it true that the car was listed under the GT banner?!?

Can anyone tell me what the deal was there?

The ImposterGT's!! Leaving aside changes to the Le Mans circuit for once, probably the worst mistake the ACO made in many years was allowing the Dauer Porsches to race in the GT class. Whilst Dauer may have made a road version, the 962GT which won the race in '94 was not that much different to the 962s which had raced previously. Being classified as a GT, of course, enabled the car to run with a larger air restrictor. The car was estimated to have an additional 100bhp on tap in comparison with the Courages and Toyotas in the LMP1/Group C Class. Although the imposter GT's had to carry more weight (50kgs) and skinnier tyres, they were essentially still Group C cars running in the wrong category.

The Dalmas, Haywood and Baldi car won the race, beating the SARD Toyota of Irvine, Martini and Krosnoff by one lap. The Toyota though was very much the "moral" victor, if such a thing exists or means anything. The nearest true Group C Porsche 962 was that of the ADA Engineering team, which finished, unclassified, 155 laps behind.

It was a great race weekend - just a great shame about the end result.

Old 15 Nov 2001, 19:35 (Ref:175084)   #5
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: What was the story behind the "Dauer" Porsche 962

Anybody fancy buying one?
http://www.racecar.co.uk/dauer/

Jochen Dauer has also bought the EB110 project (née Bugatti) lock, stock, and barrel, and offers brand new hand-built cars for US$500000 a piece:
http://www.eb110.com
Old 15 Nov 2001, 19:42 (Ref:175090)   #6
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Re: Re: What was the story behind the "Dauer" Porsche 962

Quote:
Originally posted by cybersdorf
Anybody fancy buying one?
http://www.racecar.co.uk/dauer/

Jochen Dauer has also bought the EB110 project (née Bugatti) lock, stock, and barrel, and offers brand new hand-built cars for US$500000 a piece:
http://www.eb110.com
Much as I hated them being allowed to race at Le Mans, I wouldn't mind turning up at work in one.......

Or the Bugatti.....