Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 28 Nov 2003, 10:48 (Ref:796923)   #1
C R Box
Rookie

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
C R Box should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John Wyer - That Certain Sound

Has anyone read John Wyer's book - 'That Certain Sound'. Can you recommend it and better still do you know anywhere that I could purchase a copy (it's been out of print for many years)
Old 28 Nov 2003, 10:53 (Ref:796927)   #2
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Last one I saw on Ebay went for a few hundred pounds.....
Old 28 Nov 2003, 12:41 (Ref:797026)   #3
Jeremy Jackson
Veteran

Jeremy Jackson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brilliant book, recommend it highly, but the ones that do come up for sale are very expensive, as Jos said.

(Mine's not for sale...)
Old 28 Nov 2003, 23:53 (Ref:797626)   #4
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Nor mine....!

Very highly recommended book, excellent insights, but very sought after now.

Don't expect to pay anything less than about £130 for one in any condition I'm afraid. £200 is closer to the mark for a nice copy.

If you're convinced enough to take the plunge, there are usually a selection available on www.abebooks.com which is a worldwide clearing house for antiquarian booksellers. I've shopped from there on more occasions than I care to admit.
Old 29 Nov 2003, 14:10 (Ref:798236)   #5
HiRich
Racer

HiRich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ditto on all comments (and thanks for reminding me to retrieve my copy from my brother!)
Old 29 Nov 2003, 17:12 (Ref:798313)   #6
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by josvandeperre
Last one I saw on Ebay went for a few hundred pounds.....

Yeehaaaaa

(I have it).
Old 30 Nov 2003, 11:52 (Ref:799153)   #7
prn 31
Racer

prn 31 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I brought my copy when it was remaindered about 15 or so years ago!

It is a terrific read. Wyer had an old fashioned turn of phrase, but he was very refealing about all facets of the sport that he was involved in.

Its a pity he didn't extend coverage beyond 1971 to cover the latter Mirages, including winning Le Mans in 1975, which he was involved with.
Old 1 Dec 2003, 00:21 (Ref:799693)   #8
D-Type
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coulsdon, Surrey
D-Type should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why don't publishers take heed of what's selling at a premium on e-bay, Eoin Young, etc and print a second edition?

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.
Old 1 Dec 2003, 01:38 (Ref:799743)   #9
dretceterini
Veteran

dretceterini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think part of the reason that some books don't get reprinted sooner is that the writers are involved in the antique motoring memorabilia business. Eoin Young is a perfect example..
Old 7 Dec 2003, 14:46 (Ref:806035)   #10
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I was obviously very lucky when my bid of £90 (+postage)
was enough to secure this book on E-bay just a month or so ago. The condition is superb, and even the dust jacket has no tears in it. A superb read, too - a book I've been trying to acquire for ages - and now a treasured possession.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 9 Dec 2003, 13:28 (Ref:807455)   #11
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It is a jolly good read. I've read my copy (lovely dust-jacket - no tears... )several times over the years. There are also some very nice photos in it as well.