Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 7 Apr 2004, 19:41 (Ref:933793)   #1
almzkid
Rookie

almzkid should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Such High Hopes...Dashed!!!!!!

I for one had huge expectations for the new LMES. It seemed like the FIA and ACO were finally in agreeance on a rule set, the races were harking back to the 1000km events of old and enthusiasm seemed to be at an alltime high for the LMP era.

But to my chagrin no : RFH, TAURUS, Saturn, Factory Courage C60 and a lack of GTS competitors has dampened my enthusiasm considerably.

Which begs the question. Is LMP dead? Is GTS the wave of the future? and will the new GTP regs be the answer?

Dissapointed
Old 7 Apr 2004, 20:13 (Ref:933816)   #2
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I see the glass as half-full, not half-empty....

I believe someone posted in the LMES thread that there are 10 LMP1s set for the full season, and there is a list of cars that could enter (or have entered) individual races....

and I think Fab posted that there were 21 LMP1s and 2s total in the list that was released yesterday....

I think those numbers are pretty good...espcially in a transition year where we won't be seeing a lot of the new cars until next year...

The simple economics of racing today pretty much ensure that the days when...ans an example...35-45 prototypes would line up at a CAN-AM race in the late 1960s or early 1970s...are pretty much gone....

I'll take what I can get...support it whenever it can, and hope that others will as well so that it will grow....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 7 Apr 2004, 20:17 (Ref:933818)   #3
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
48 entries, including 9 in GTS... disappointed.. hmm ok, what was it you expected then?
Old 7 Apr 2004, 20:25 (Ref:933823)   #4
almzkid
Rookie

almzkid should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As I mentioned above where is RFH, TAURUS, GODDARD, etc etc...
Old 7 Apr 2004, 20:56 (Ref:933841)   #5
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
We're in the same boat with you asking the same question, almzkid...

Check out today's posts on the LMES Entry thread....

It'll be easier for you to read some of the insight that forum members have submitted than it would for me to give you a synopsis of it on this thread....

Examples:

This is a "provisional" list, and others could be added

Vandijk (who follows RfH closely) thinks Lammers is not very happy with the ACO following the release of the LM list, which is why he is not on the list as of now, but could very well enter....

There are others as well....

Old 7 Apr 2004, 21:39 (Ref:933873)   #6
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
I just went through the Monza list, and for whatever it is worth:

LMP1 -- 9 different chassis makes of 14 entered thus far

LMP2 -- 5 different chassis makes of the 9 entered thus far

GTS -- 7 different chassis or models (counting the 575 and the 550) of the 9 entries thus far...

That's pretty diverse....and the LMP2 is a lot more diverse than the LM entry list....

I think RfH will enter...Taurus...don't know....maybe one of the two....

From everything I've read, don't hold your breth for a Factory Courage C60...they're focused on the C65 program so they can sell cars....

on another thread, allegedly Saturn lost its sponsor, and may not be around at al in 2004...after spending the $$$ to ge the car and the Chevy engine loaded into it....not good news for them...or us...

Old 7 Apr 2004, 21:41 (Ref:933875)   #7
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
I guess the bottom line is that those who build up huge expectations are bound to be disappointed. There will always be teams that won't show up that we might expect.

Given the transition of the rules, 48 cars is a very strong entry, and MUCH better then anything FIA SCC had to offer.

23 LMP's is hardly dead though.

The biggest disappointment in LMP is RFH, and we shall see where the politics in that lead to.
Old 7 Apr 2004, 21:54 (Ref:933888)   #8
Patrick B
Racer

Canada
Canada
Patrick B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Im actualy quite impressed with the entry list for the LMES. Considering they are actually using the 2004 rules unlike the ALMS. They have a bunch of true LMP2's and 1 LMP1 car, not bad for a transition year. Plus they have alot more cars in GTS then the ALMS has.
Old 7 Apr 2004, 22:04 (Ref:933894)   #9
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree, the only dissappointment for me is the RfH cars not being on the list. But this could be for a number of reasons, which is most likely down to politics as cited. However, it is important to remember that this list is made up mostly of privateer teams and these kinds of bumps in the road can happen to teams with lower budget levels. Cut them just a bit of slack and lend them your support.

Overall, I'm very pleased and I think this is an excellent start for a new racing series. The depth is arguably better than the entry list for Le Mans and what we have in the ALMS. All eyes will be on Monza and I'm sure it will encourage the on-lookers to go to their shops and drag their race cars out. If the exposure is perceived to be beneficial then that might encourage sponsors as well. And, the guarenteed Le Mans spots that are up for grabs are also enticing. Give it time, this is only Round 1 of a brand new series. Think baby steps.

Last edited by jhansen; 7 Apr 2004 at 22:10.
Old 8 Apr 2004, 05:21 (Ref:934042)   #10
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Re: Such High Hopes...Dashed!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by almzkid
But to my chagrin no : RFH, TAURUS, Saturn, Factory Courage C60 and a lack of GTS competitors has dampened my enthusiasm considerably.
- RFH : the best is yet to come... I hope !
- Courage : they're focusing on the C65
- Taurus : they'll enter
- Saturn : yes, this one ask question...

And we've more GTS cars than LM race !