Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 15 Nov 2004, 18:47 (Ref:1154284)   #1
big ears
Rookie

big ears should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why do caps go forward at high speeds in a open top car

Please could some try and explain why, if you are driving an open top car, and your hat blows off, why does it go forward and not backwards.
Old 15 Nov 2004, 18:52 (Ref:1154292)   #2
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Swirly vortex thingy comes off top edge of windscreen and curles down into passenger area making tubular eddies that make the air seem to move forward at head hight. Posh open sports car have little screen thingy that pops up behind passengers to keep cap/hair etc, in proper place.
Old 15 Nov 2004, 20:36 (Ref:1154445)   #3
big ears
Rookie

big ears should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for that, i saw it on apast Top Gear Show, and i wanted to know more about it.
Old 15 Nov 2004, 21:36 (Ref:1154509)   #4
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Last time I lost a cap while driving my car it went backwards but then it only has a half height screen. One thing I have noticed though, if I empty a cup of coffee out of my truck or land rover window at speed, the liquid goes forward before spraying back in my face, it never goes backwards and onto the road.

Old 16 Nov 2004, 09:20 (Ref:1154776)   #5
StephenRae
Veteran

Wales
North West
StephenRae should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by falcemob
Last time I lost a cap while driving my car it went backwards but then it only has a half height screen. One thing I have noticed though, if I empty a cup of coffee out of my truck or land rover window at speed, the liquid goes forward before spraying back in my face, it never goes backwards and onto the road.

How many times did you do this before you figured it out
Old 16 Nov 2004, 18:03 (Ref:1155198)   #6
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Five caps and twenty seven coffee soaked shirts....

Some people can be very fixed in their driving style
Old 16 Nov 2004, 22:10 (Ref:1155455)   #7
imull
Veteran

imull has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
he he. classic
Old 27 Nov 2004, 19:34 (Ref:1165777)   #8
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Better buy a new Merc SL - I drove a SL500 not long back, and there was very little turbulence in the cockpit, and very little wind noise - less than in a Alfa 164GTA, and that was a closed car!

The worst modern open top car I have ever driven was a Z3M Beemer, for noise and cabin turbulence (horrible throbbing headache inducing noise!), not for performance and handling

But then again, I don't wear a hat when driving, other than a crash helmet when regulations require it!

Rob.
Old 2 Dec 2004, 13:04 (Ref:1169792)   #9
Ntrprise
Rookie

Ntrprise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In a word drag. It is easiest to illustrate if you imagine a massive room (say size of a football pitch) filled with ping pong balls. Drive a car through this room at 5 MPH and the ping pong balls will be hugging all 4 sides of the car.

Now imagine driving it at 80 MPH. You can imagine that the area directly behind the car is now an empty vacuum – no ping pong balls. The drag effect is in action – literally dragging and sucking the car back into this vacuum.

So the vacuum behind the car is making air rush forwards to fill the gap. This is happening at the rear of the car. The same happens behind the windscreen on an open top car. The air is simply rushing forwards to fill the gap.

Obviously, the ping pong balls represent air molecules. So when looking at aerodynamics – just imagine driving through a room with ping pong’s – makes everything a little easier to understand

With this illustration, it is arguably easy to see why the rear of the car is just as or even more important than the front of the car.

Same illustration can be used for a speed boat passing through water.
Old 2 Dec 2004, 13:09 (Ref:1169799)   #10
DaveStyles
Rookie

DaveStyles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hmm..

thanks for the visualisation.. I cut some holes in my bonnet last season in what turned out to be a stupid place.

If I'd have known about the ping pong balls I *might* not have done it !

What a useful tool !
Old 2 Dec 2004, 13:35 (Ref:1169834)   #11
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
Hmmm, I also cut some holes in my bonnet last season. Very big ones. It made everything run nice and cool, and also stopped the back edge trying to part company with the bodywork at anything over 80mph. Didn't seem to make any difference to anything else though. Maybe its because I put some wire mesh over the holes to stop the ping-pong balls escaping!
Old 6 Dec 2004, 15:25 (Ref:1172471)   #12
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtype38
Five caps and twenty seven coffee soaked shirts....

Some people can be very fixed in their driving style
Well, I do remember a long trip back from Donington this year and drinking too much coffee on the way back, miles from the services on the M11, nowhere to stop and I only had an old cup spare and well, open window and all that, do i need say more. Mrs mob wasn't pleased with what soaked shirt this time.
Old 6 Dec 2004, 21:54 (Ref:1172870)   #13
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
Falcy, your avatar makes me LOL.... about every 12 seconds!!
Old 7 Dec 2004, 09:16 (Ref:1173184)   #14
StephenRae
Veteran

Wales
North West
StephenRae should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveStyles
hmm..

thanks for the visualisation.. I cut some holes in my bonnet last season in what turned out to be a stupid place.

If I'd have known about the ping pong balls I *might* not have done it !

What a useful tool !
Are we talking about the 'Balaclava' type or the 'Easter Parade' type bonnet?
Old 7 Dec 2004, 09:58 (Ref:1173241)   #15
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenRae
Are we talking about the 'Balaclava' type or the 'Easter Parade' type bonnet?
With comments like that, its just as well he wasn't cutting holes in his helmet!
Old 11 Dec 2004, 05:33 (Ref:1176795)   #16
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's a real mystery you might like to try!

Get a balloon on a string and tie it to the ceiling of the car (or just get your girlfriend to hold it there you tightwads that can't afford roofs,LOL)
As you accellerate it will tilt backwards ...of course

Now get a kids helium balloon and tie it to the floor of the car
when you accellerate it tilts...forward!!Hit the brakes and it tilts back...WHA???!!

Last edited by RWC; 11 Dec 2004 at 05:35.
Old 11 Dec 2004, 12:09 (Ref:1176936)   #17
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
Even more strangely... if you fill a balloon with coffee, when you accelerate if tips backwards and spills coffee on your shirt, but if you brake it still tips backwards and spills coffee on your shirt.... isn't that right falcemob