Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 16 Oct 2007, 19:14 (Ref:2042102)   #151
Paul V
Racer

Paul V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Combe have a drive-by system in place as well as the standard MSA checks in assembly area.

HTH
Old 17 Oct 2007, 08:21 (Ref:2042429)   #152
LYNX
Veteran

England
Hampshire
LYNX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Goodwood also has a drive by check - over and you're blackflagged.
Old 4 May 2009, 21:03 (Ref:2455461)   #153
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was bound to happen.
As of last month Spa has a curfew.
They are only allowed to start at 9 in the morning 'till 6 in the evening. Only a few events are allowed later runs, like the 6 Hour Historic, obviously the 24 hour races (3 of them) and 1 12 hour race into the night. There is talk of even more restrictions for next year.

A wonderful thing for the marshals, as signing on times were getting overly silly in the morning and a they now can enjoy a normal days start and end. But for the rest?

A new local group is fighting strongly against the noise with loads of luck. Odd thing is that all of those people are non local residents, 60% of them being Dutch, some Flemish and people from Brussels.
Old 4 May 2009, 21:27 (Ref:2455471)   #154
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Eddy they can make as much noise as they want to. I can't hear it from my house
On a more serious note, approximately how many meetings do you think will be affected, and do midweek trackdays and test days have to be silenced ?
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 4 May 2009, 22:38 (Ref:2455499)   #155
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy V View Post
A new local group is fighting strongly against the noise with loads of luck. Odd thing is that all of those people are non local residents, 60% of them being Dutch, some Flemish and people from Brussels.
So are these people with weekend homes in the area?

Perhaps a few of the wealthier motor sport individuals could consider buying their own weekend homes in the same area and countering the objectors arguments or even buying from them (at a reduced price of course because of the noise ...).

Or maybe questions should be asked about where the money for these second homes is coming from?

Very often there are very few people seriously involved with noise issues. BUt the local authorities will listen to them because it gives the authority a sense of power and purpose where none previously existed.
Old 5 May 2009, 18:26 (Ref:2456013)   #156
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They are not quite sure how many will be affected in the end, but it doesn't look good.
Weekdays are affected as well. Most complaining people have a second (third, fifth?) home there, but some strong opposing residents have taken up permanent residency.
Nobody, bar one or two, want the track gone, it is all about the noice and the environment.
Old 5 May 2009, 22:27 (Ref:2456137)   #157
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy V View Post
Nobody, bar one or two, want the track gone, it is all about the noice and the environment.
No, of course they don't, absolutely no way. I mean if they did come out and say they wanted the track closed that would make them seem selfish and uncaring for anyone else's interests. Few people enjoy being thought of in those terms. (although one might observe the Motor Sport does seem to attract a few of its own.)

But are the objectors proposing to get together, demand that the track stays and to help in some way to fund efforts to reduce the noise?

Is the circuit a net cost or a net revenue generator for the local area? I would guess it probably brings in revenue overall, both directly and indirectly. Presumably the complainers are prepared to make up any shortfall due to closure or restictions somehow. Or are they just hopeing to see tier investment gain value ready for when they sell on to others?

I often think that it would be worth supporting the closure of circuits that are threatened and offering to immediately build on the land released some sort of refugee camp, prison, industrial complex, new town, nuclear power station - or something like that - and ask the noise objectors for their support for the scheme in their self appointed roles as concerned citizens.
Old 6 May 2009, 00:17 (Ref:2456165)   #158
quantic
Rookie

England
In the ghetto
quantic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That is bad news, the whingers aren't just confined to the UK then it seems-however I have to say that every time I've been to Spa (or anywhere in Europe for that matter..) generally the cars are exceptionally noisy. I don't know if there are any noise limits over there but to someone who is used to noise being fairly strictly monitored at circuits in the UK there always seems to be loads of cars with what sound like straight through exhausts and not just the higher levels of cars either-it goes right through to 'clubbie' type cars in my experience.
Now I'm a petrol head like most others on here and I love the sound of a racing engine on full song (and just because something is loud it doesn't necessarily mean that it sounds good!), however when it hurts my eardrums for 2 or 3 days of working there listening to it even I get fed up with it and I just want it to shut the hell up!
My view is that I hate to hear of restrictions being placed on circuits that have been there for ever because of some numpty who has bought property next door but I can sort of understand it when the cars are so noisy and run from dawn till dusk, like at Spa for instance. Perhaps some kind of noise restrictions could be placed on the cars by the race organisers which I know would be hugely unpopular to a lot of competitors, but surely more popular than the circuit being hit with draconian restrictions by the local authorities.
Croft, by way of contrast, is a whole different kettle of fish but let's not get into that..
Old 6 May 2009, 21:35 (Ref:2456810)   #159
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Cars generally run very noisy at Spa, but the problem is there is a wave of mainly Dutch pr**s buying every house left, right and centre just for the sheer fun of it. If possible as close as it can to the track. And as it should be they start complaining afterwards.
Some even run B&Bs, so try to understand that.

Yes, I would like the noise to go down a bit and yes as a marshal I love the "normal" hours, but those people are just against everything. Even a few local rallies (near Spa) are having problems with new residents.