Old 6 Dec 2006, 09:03 (Ref:1783118)   #1
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
The STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Road Tax

Hello

I'm thinking of aquiring a Land Rover, But I'd like to know how old it has to be to qualify for free road tax, or in other words, what year would it have to be made in to qualify, Would a 1980s example qualify?

I also intend to modify it a little, so I don't want an old Series example (I think these are best restored to their original condition.)
Old 6 Dec 2006, 11:51 (Ref:1783238)   #2
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The STIG
Hello

I'm thinking of aquiring a Land Rover, But I'd like to know how old it has to be to qualify for free road tax, or in other words, what year would it have to be made in to qualify, Would a 1980s example qualify?
In short stig...No.

You obviously haven't looked very hard. Govt site (link below) says before Jan 1 1973.

http://direct.gov.uk/Motoring/Owning...042&chk=OoLbFS
Old 6 Dec 2006, 13:48 (Ref:1783325)   #3
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
It was originally going to be a rolling 25 years but that got abandoned after the second year.

Note that the exemption is 'built before' not 'registered before' 1st Jan 73. If you buy a British built car registered in early 1973 it's worth getting checking with the British Motor Industry Heritage Trust. They can issue you with a certificate which confirms the build date which is acceptable by the DVLA as proof of exemption.
Old 6 Dec 2006, 14:57 (Ref:1783367)   #4
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Just so happens I have a Series 2a sitting on my drive looking for a good home for the right price. Tax exempt.
Old 6 Dec 2006, 20:24 (Ref:1783559)   #5
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It is great when you fill in the form for tax renewal on-line for these. Fill it in press go, no faffing with credit cards, and two days later your tax disc comes through the door! Impressive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcemob
Just so happens I have a Series 2a sitting on my drive looking for a good home for the right price. Tax exempt.
Every time you type that I am very tempted. Trouble is I am to sensible.

Last edited by Adam43; 6 Dec 2006 at 20:27.
Old 6 Dec 2006, 20:32 (Ref:1783567)   #6
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
I must keep typing it then, one day you may have been drinking when you read it.

I stuck it on eBay the other week but a thick Norfolk time waster was the winner and didnt have it cos he couldnt drive it home despite me saying it was for spares or restoration with no MOT. He then lied to ebay so I lost my sellers fee as well
Old 6 Dec 2006, 22:16 (Ref:1783646)   #7
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
Right, Thanks for that.

Fraid I will have to say no to Falcemob's 2a. I haven't the time to restore it - I need something which is mechanically sound and ready to pass the MOT, my modifications are mostly internal.

Anyone know if the 1973 date will change?
Old 6 Dec 2006, 22:21 (Ref:1783651)   #8
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The STIG
Anyone know if the 1973 date will change?
See my previous post. It was a 25 year rolling exemption which means it hasn't changed since 1998. Unlikely that the rules will be changed again.
Old 6 Dec 2006, 22:45 (Ref:1783674)   #9
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I was told it was the nasty Labour Govt who scrapped this rule after coming to power.

We have a K reg MG 1300 in the family thats exempt, imported from Spain in the late 80's, I've never seen such an old car with so little rust.
Old 6 Dec 2006, 22:53 (Ref:1783680)   #10
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes
See my previous post. It was a 25 year rolling exemption which means it hasn't changed since 1998. Unlikely that the rules will be changed again.
To coin a phrase

Oh bugger.

I suspect this is due to lots more cars staying operational for longer.
Old 6 Dec 2006, 23:00 (Ref:1783684)   #11
redshoes
Veteran

No, I suspect TL was closer to the truth