Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 6 Mar 2003, 00:57 (Ref:526206)   #26
kristof14
Veteran

kristof14 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have yet to drive a RWD car as i've only driven a Suzuki Wagon R which had a turning circle the size of a 2p and I'm currently driving a Renault Clio which also handles phenomenally and is rather fun to drive whilst staying within speed limits!
Old 6 Mar 2003, 16:01 (Ref:526712)   #27
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
rear wheel drive all the way . . . . .we've just acquired our first ever FWD. . . .a mondeo, its the best FWD drive Ive driven yet but its still no rwd . . . .the old Cortina still beats it for grins
Old 6 Mar 2003, 17:32 (Ref:526805)   #28
Alpina
Veteran

Alpina should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
just catching up since my last post. I was rather alarmed to read about the left foot braking. If you know that little about it please don't do it. i don't mean to be insulting just concerned. If you want to learn about it get "Pedal to the Metal" the Colin MaCrae story as he demonstrates it brilliantly as well as flicks and jumps!
I was driving a hire car Punto yesterday in the english Lake District and I was left foot braking for fun. the car had no power so I was on the throttle all the time and just dabbing the brakes to settle the car into the corner. it takes practice but you can be smoother that way.
FWD vs RWD it is like beer. You like what you get used to then you have to learn the other.
Old 6 Mar 2003, 23:55 (Ref:527152)   #29
MichaelC
Veteran

MichaelC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think personally I'd go for four wheel drive. Until recently I'd only ever driven front wheel driven cars, so I didn't know any different. Then I drove my first ever RWD drive car, a 1970 MG B Roadster. Quite an experience for a 24 year old who'd never driven anything without power steering and servo-assisted brakes (!!) but definately better than the front wheel drive Audi A4 that I drive every day.
Then a couple of months ago when a friend got her new Audi TT Roadster, I became a complete convert to four wheel drive. And having stuck the A4 sideways through a hedge recently, I've sworn never to by anything with only two-wheel drive again...
Old 6 Mar 2003, 23:57 (Ref:527153)   #30
MichaelC
Veteran

Oh and I've nothing against left-foot braking either, I do it quite a lot. Took a while to get used to - nearly put myself through the windscreen the first few time - but when you get used to it, it can be quite fun
Old 7 Mar 2003, 10:37 (Ref:527569)   #31
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
But why would you want to do it MichaelC? What's the point? Isn't it just a dangerous complication? If you've stuck an A4 through a hedge, 4WD won't save you.
Old 7 Mar 2003, 10:51 (Ref:527579)   #32
AussieV8
Veteran

Australia
Orange, NSW Australia
AussieV8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by gfm
But why would you want to do it MichaelC? What's the point? Isn't it just a dangerous complication? If you've stuck an A4 through a hedge, 4WD won't save you.
I learnt to drive on a manual and now when I drive an auto I always left foot brake. My wife and I have a car each and mines a 4x4 ute and hers a auto hatchback so I jump from mine to hers my left foot needs something to do.

Just watchin the cricket Go Aussies..........
Old 7 Mar 2003, 14:02 (Ref:527772)   #33
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by MichaelC
And having stuck the A4 sideways through a hedge recently, I've sworn never to by anything with only two-wheel drive again...
Four wheel drive will give you more traction; it won't give you more lateral grip......nor will it give you better braking!

Last edited by Dave Brand; 7 Mar 2003 at 14:03.
Old 7 Mar 2003, 14:08 (Ref:527777)   #34
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
All of which means you'll make a bigger hole in the hedge by going through it sideways instead...

The definitive bible of FWD/RWD/4WD...

Front Wheel Drive: Understeer through the hedge forwards;

Rear Wheel Drive: Oversteer through the hedge backwards;

Four Wheel Drive: Drift through the hedge sideways... At twice the speed... On your roof...

Last edited by garcon; 7 Mar 2003 at 14:12.
Old 7 Mar 2003, 22:48 (Ref:528217)   #35
moschops
Rookie

moschops should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My 1275GT is loads of fun in the wet, but my RWD Morris is loads of fun in the dry.

Must sort out that axle-tramp though.
Old 9 Mar 2003, 10:02 (Ref:529829)   #36
Alpina
Veteran

Axle-tramp from a Mog? You fitted a turbo in it?
Old 9 Mar 2003, 16:15 (Ref:530215)   #37
MichaelC
Veteran

Looks like I just set myself up for the abuse there!

For the record, I went through the hedge in the middle of the snow that Britain experienced at the end of January. No amount of ABS and Traction Control can stop you sliding on the snow, and basically I did all the obvious stuff about braking nice and early in a straight line, got back off the brakes, changed out of fourth and into second, and that's where it went a bit wrong. That last action seemed to lock the front wheels,pitching me into the slide, and as Martin Brundle would put it, I went straight to the scene of the accident Muppet...

And not even I'm stupid enough to be left-foot braking in the snow!

Last edited by MichaelC; 9 Mar 2003 at 16:17.
Old 10 Mar 2003, 15:54 (Ref:531547)   #38
moschops
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Alpina
Axle-tramp from a Mog? You fitted a turbo in it?
Oh aye. Any tight corner in 2nd gear.

Best get some telescopics on the back, before I start shoehorning the 2-litre Fiat twin-cam in.
Old 21 Mar 2003, 07:16 (Ref:542804)   #39
Alpina
Veteran

I remember a CCC car of the year being a V8 turbocharged Mog. Road legal too. mental!!!
Old 22 Mar 2003, 01:24 (Ref:543728)   #40
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Would that be the Hill climb car of Nick Mann? Morris Minor, 3.5ltr Rover engine, twin turbochargers, 20% nitro mix in the fuel. If memeory serves me right, approsimately 690bhp at the driven wheels. Awesome, truly awesome.
Old 23 Mar 2003, 05:35 (Ref:544788)   #41
Alpina
Veteran

Sounds like the one. Didn't he operate his engine timing with a clockwork system from a fruit machine?
Old 23 Mar 2003, 13:41 (Ref:545278)   #42
moschops
Rookie

Aye, Nick Manns' Minor was a beast. Not the only one around though. The following text is taken from the MMOC website, detailing the quickest Mogs around. Scary stuff.

Quote:
Ian Portsmouth's Series II convertible has been sent mercilessly down the quarter mile in 21.49 seconds. Jonathan Fletcher ran a 17.69 in his 1275cc saloon. But without a doubt the most frightening 'A' series powered Minor must belong to Conrad Brown who frightened the living daylights out of the Fiat boys with a startling 16.08!

Fastest two litre Fiat powered Minor with an engine in standard tune goes to Russ Smith in a time of 15.96. However Martin Baker's tuned Fiat Minor has run mid fifteens! A sixteen-second quarter mile time is approximately what most hot hatches would run, and equates (very roughly) to a 0 - 60 mph of 7.5 - 8.0 seconds.

Julian Russell's 3.5 Rover V8 ran a 13.53 at York in 1990. Quick, but not the quickest. Nick Mann's 3.5 litre turbocharged saloon covered the quarter in 11.1, faster than a Ferrari F40 or Porche 959.

However, Swede, Anders Ericsson's Minor (known as Bumble Bee) was driven by a 426 cubic inch Chrysler Hemi V. This car achieved a best time of 8.99 seconds with a terminal speed of 151.62 mph. Surely the fastest Morris Minor in the world?
Old 23 Mar 2003, 13:46 (Ref:545283)   #43
moschops
Rookie

And here's the beast.http://www.geocities.com/morrismodif...ckmannsv8.html
Old 23 Mar 2003, 19:27 (Ref:545578)   #44
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Interesting article, but speed is more than just in a straight line. If you didn't see the way it cornered, you should have done!
Old 9 Apr 2003, 20:14 (Ref:564429)   #45
graham bahr
Veteran

England
cambs
graham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgraham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
on the race track i would say rwd rwd rwd rwd, on the road who cares you shouldn't be going fast enough to tell the difference!

its not speed thats dangerous, just the sudden lack of it!
Old 9 Apr 2003, 22:51 (Ref:564615)   #46
Alpina
Veteran

Onn the road in a blizzard is when you are glad you bought 4WD. At any speed!!