Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 6 Jan 2008, 17:11 (Ref:2100717)   #1
schanche
Veteran

England
5OUTH E4ST
schanche should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ERC Lydden? The Chances!

Been thinking about this for a while now,Pat in charge of Lydden the prospect of the ERC back for a round at Lydden could it really happen?.
European Circuits have come on a long way since the days of the ERC in the 80/90s,would it be possible to update Lydden.What i have seen from many trips to Euro rounds is that a lot of cash would need to be spent is it Viable?
changes to the circuit,such as the form up grid, start line moved back so as not to interfere with the racing where would the finish line be? the addition of the joker lap improved gravel traps High Catch fencing around the circuit improved sound systems and improved ammenities it all adds up. I would just love to see a round back at the home of lydden but just how much can they spend?
Maybe some one here a computer Boff! could draw up a diagram just to give Pat an the Team some Ideas..
Would be Interesting to see what other folks think?
Old 6 Jan 2008, 17:36 (Ref:2100735)   #2
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
Western Lower Rhine area of Germany
rx-guru should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi "Schanche", You’re using my old GpB sticker as avatar without asking me or Austrian pen-pusher Richard Hicker for permission…

I myself would like to see the ERC back to the birthplace of Rallycross! However, the current FIA rules do allow just 12 ERC rounds a year. There will be 11 in 2008 – plus 2 candidate races for the 2009 ERC (Finland and Tatarstan). Could mean that 13 venues are already in the game. But the majority of the drivers (or just the leading ERC regulars?) actually do not want more than 10 ERC rounds…
Old 6 Jan 2008, 17:55 (Ref:2100748)   #3
schanche
Veteran

England
5OUTH E4ST
schanche should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sincere apologys for the sticker
But i was always at the front of the cue when Arthur D used to bring your calenders back from the benelux rounds of the ERC,and the year books where still the best? Didnt you used to have an Audi estate with a million miles on the clock,we always new we was in for a good event when we spotted the audi near the pits
Old 6 Jan 2008, 18:07 (Ref:2100758)   #4
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
Western Lower Rhine area of Germany
rx-guru should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do you mean the two silvergrey Audi 80 quattros with Ford RS wheels (7 inch with 195/50-15 Pirelli P7) that I used to call mine? One of them was "torpedoed" during the 1984 Jänner Rallye in Austria by a German spectator bloke with one leg only. Seemingly he’d lost his braking leg in a previous accident. BTW, Richard Hicker was my passenger that very day.
Old 7 Jan 2008, 22:39 (Ref:2101506)   #5
ebby
Racer

United Kingdom
near Lydden, Kent
ebby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes it would be superb for the ERC to return to Lydden, some of the best rallycross I have ever seen there in 1996.
Old 11 Jan 2008, 09:22 (Ref:2104065)   #6
winnie
Racer

winnie has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I think Lydden is perfect for the erc. Excellent location for the europeans due to Dover, proberbly the best track for spectating in europe, proberbly the best track for overtaking, proberbly one of the fastest 'proper' tracks around, great history and a reasonable size paddock.

I don't think Lydden needs a joker lap due to the excellent overtaking opertunities.

A proper startline is a problem. Proberbly the only way would be to build one where the food bar is next to the dummy grid area, tarmac the gravel trap and build another gravel trap where the spectators stand. The spectating position here is one of the best in eroupe, and would be an excellent location to build a huge bank or pernament stand.

I would love to see a big investment in Lydden, and see it used 4 or 5 times a year for BRC rounds, 2 or 3 times for a winterseries and a european round. Croft can have the GP, Lydden can have the ERC.
Old 11 Jan 2008, 09:36 (Ref:2104075)   #7
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Problem is or was safety, afgter the big crashes there with Will and Te Pas, plus countless others in the same place in British rounds over the years its not teh safest place to be doing 100mph!

But as everyone says fans and layout wise its the perfect track.

I would love to see the ERC back and I also think that though you might not get the best Scandinavian entry, its possibloe the Benelux guys and Eastern Europeans would really bolster the entry