Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 22 May 2003, 22:44 (Ref:607284)   #1
G_Ilott
Racer

United Kingdom
Dorset, UK
G_Ilott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alarms for camera bags (or how to cut off thieving hands)

I have an amiable grin plastered across my face as I write this, and I now switch to a classic quizzical pose a-la border collie to enquire :

Have you ever had anything stolen while pre-occupied with the act of image-making? I have a camera bag. It is full of stuff that is worth a few bob. While I'm wandering around a nature reserve there's little chance of anyone whipping, say, an innocuous angle finder or worse, my carton of Capri-Sun (Blackcurrant). However, in a paddock while I'm stroking my shutter button (oo-er) into paroxysms of fluid motion, over and over again *sigh*, I can't be watching my bag all the time.

Do you make a point of dragging along a spouse, partner, friend to carry, I mean, watch over the shiny things? Is there any lotion I can rub on? Or shouldn't I worry?

Ta-ta.
Old 23 May 2003, 07:47 (Ref:607483)   #2
MolsonBoy
Racer

MolsonBoy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The first few races I ever shot I carried my bag around. I found that it was a pain carry on my shoulder while carrying a two cameras (one with a 300 f2.8). I went to a photgraphers vest and loaded it up with what I thought I needed for the day. The problem with vest is that it was hot. And when it is hot to begin with, well you get the idea.

Two years ago I bought a LowePro's Street and Field series belt. Then I added pouches for what equipment I had. It is a very flexible system. With a shoulder harness it helped to distribute the weight and keep me from mooning people.

Another option would be a photo backpack or something smaller like a beltpack.

http://www.lowepro.com/pages/bySeries/StreetF.htm

Last edited by MolsonBoy; 23 May 2003 at 07:47.
Old 23 May 2003, 09:14 (Ref:607537)   #3
G_Ilott
Racer

United Kingdom
Dorset, UK
I chose a Lowepro Nova 5 for my nature photography needs as it is waterproof and will happily sit in wet grass on its own, muttering to itself. I see the benefit of a belt system .... eventually.... when I've assessed my needs. I'd be taking 3 lenses to Combe, plus angle finder, film, monopod, tripod (see other post) and sandwiches. The Nova 5 handles all that nicely and isn't too tiring to carry around.

Can you fit strawberry jam sandwiches in your belt system without the filling oozing out?
Old 24 May 2003, 19:32 (Ref:608903)   #4
tanalised
Veteran

New Zealand
new zealand
tanalised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
forget the sandwiches and get a greasy hotdog as you pass the hot chips stand
Old 24 May 2003, 20:58 (Ref:608957)   #5
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As you live in Dorset do you ever take pics at the kart tracks (Clay, Forest Edge, Matchams) ?? You can certainly get close there and your kit should be safe.
Old 24 May 2003, 22:07 (Ref:609031)   #6
G_Ilott
Racer

United Kingdom
Dorset, UK
I live 2 miles away from Clay Pigeon but you know what, I've never been. It's that old case of not doing things in your back yard.
I pass them often as I'm off on my landscape tours. I can almost see them through the front gate.

Where are Forest Edge and Matchams?

You must be a very large person to live in two counties at once. Where in Dorset does part of you reside?
Old 25 May 2003, 17:03 (Ref:609632)   #7
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will be up at Clay testing on the 14th, I reckon its probably a good place to take photos - I will let you know.

Bizzarely Forest Edge and Matchams are within half a mile of each other just outside Bournemouth on the old road that runs parralel to the a338. Luckily for me they are within 5 miles of where I live in Verwood so I am spoiled! However I did 5 laps of practice today at Matchams and pulled a muscle in my back :-( hopefully I will be all mended for next weekend as its a double header at Forest Edge with racing both days. BTW Verwood is the edge of Dorset, literally! you leave my village and go into Hants and then when I get to work in Bornmuff its Dorset again...
Old 26 May 2003, 00:01 (Ref:610006)   #8
G_Ilott
Racer

United Kingdom
Dorset, UK
I live in a village just outside Sherborne. I'm more familiar with West, South and North Dorset than over your way but I've been around those parts many times. Have you ever found the Remedy Oak at Edmondsham?

Are there any other kart tracks in Dorset?
Old 26 May 2003, 09:43 (Ref:610247)   #9
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Edmonsham isnt far - is that a pub? My missus wants to go exploring down Bridport way as its where Hugh Fearnly-Whitingstall lives and she met him at a book signing during the week and told him she's stalking him!
No other kart tracks to my knowledge apart from Clay, FE and Matchams - Matchams probably best for kart pictures as relatively low speed and you can get in amomgst the trees in the middle to take shots. Other than that Dunkeswell is down Honiton way.
Old 26 May 2003, 16:20 (Ref:610599)   #10
G_Ilott
Racer

United Kingdom
Dorset, UK
Alright?

Hugh doesn't live at River Cottage any more - I'm 90% sure of that. Probably back in London. It was just for the series. Did she meet him in Yeovil? He was there last week I think.

In fact, I think the latest issue of Dorset Magazine (the one with the bluebells on the front) has an article about Slape estate and River Cottage. Either that or Dorset Life. I have them upstairs.

River Cottage is on private land within the estate of Slape Manor near Netherbury. There are no footpaths or public rights of way to it.

If you want some suggestions of where to go around Bridport, give me a shout. What kind of exploring?

The Remedy Oak is where King Richard the ... the child one ... apparently sat to cure people of the King's Evil - Scrofula after becoming separated from a hunting party. It's a big knarled tree next to a road near Edmonsham, except I can't ever find it.
Old 1 Jun 2003, 17:40 (Ref:616937)   #11
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Hugh said to my missus that he now has a small holding just down the road from river cottage, which unsurprisingly is hard work (why do people assume farmings easy? like we sit around all day drinking cider and the cows milk themselves!!).

I will have to check that remedy oak out - Edmonsham is where we go to vote so I guess we will be able to find out at a parish meeting or something.

zider!!
Old 1 Jun 2003, 17:58 (Ref:616963)   #12
G_Ilott
Racer

United Kingdom
Dorset, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by ghinzani
Hugh said to my missus that he now has a small holding just down the road from river cottage
Interesting.

Quote:
which unsurprisingly is hard work (why do people assume farmings easy? like we sit around all day drinking cider and the cows milk themselves!!).
Don't they? *hic*

Quote:
I will have to check that remedy oak out - Edmonsham is where we go to vote so I guess we will be able to find out at a parish meeting or something.

zider!!
Dorset Knobs and Stodgers.
Old 15 Jul 2003, 07:30 (Ref:661450)   #13
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by G_Ilott

Where are Forest Edge and Matchams?

Hello again - bad news on the kart club front - I got a letter saying Forest Edge is closing due to Qinetic (the landowners , part of the M.O.D.) not wanting to renew the lease. Therefore our club has nowhere to race after November :-( whats really frustrating is the amount of work they have done to make it such a great circuit over the last ten years, for nowt

Add to that fact that Matchams probably wont run after November this tear either due to the high insurance costs. So I'm going from having two circuits within 5 miles to being left in the wilderness... Reckon it will have to be Clay Pigeon and Camberely next year, glad I just bought me a trailer tent....
Old 18 Jul 2003, 23:56 (Ref:665355)   #14
G_Ilott
Racer

United Kingdom
Dorset, UK
Bummer.