Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 26 Sep 2003, 21:11 (Ref:731371)   #1
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Possible "Event" at Sebring in Dec. 2004???

I went to their site to get ticket information for the 2004 12 Hours of Sebring (March 17-20 next year) and saw on their Calendar a "New Event for Dec. 2004" with news to come in the future....

I wonder if it will be a historic sporting event, or a new race for sportscars....

Something to look forward to hearing about...

If anyone has an idea or has come across some possibilities, please share it with us....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 26 Sep 2003, 21:34 (Ref:731385)   #2
LouisTheShark
Racer

LouisTheShark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLouisTheShark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IRL Road Course Test Weekend ???
Old 26 Sep 2003, 21:38 (Ref:731388)   #3
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Pretty good, Louis!!!

I have zero idea concerning whether or not that is it, but it is a great speculative thought....

TG and his people already have told chassis & engine/gearbox suppliers a few months ago to begin working on elements that could be raced on road circuits....

Old 26 Sep 2003, 21:40 (Ref:731392)   #4
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
I would hope it would be an "All-Star" race from LMES and ALMS teams Top Five Points in each of four classes from each series...40 cars in a big shootout...but the logisitics, sponsors, etc., would make it a big undertaking....

Old 26 Sep 2003, 21:43 (Ref:731395)   #5
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I hope it's a sportscar race. Though it makes little sense to me to have a race in December and a race in March.... Maybe March and September, but you don't want two big races within such a short time span.
Old 26 Sep 2003, 21:48 (Ref:731402)   #6
Chevyguy
Racer

Chevyguy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
US F1 GP South. High attrition, and then I woke up.

"No matter where you go, there you are"-Pigkiller
Old 26 Sep 2003, 21:50 (Ref:731404)   #7
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
and Minardi wins!!!!....as the only car still remaining on the track to cross the finish line...

Old 26 Sep 2003, 21:51 (Ref:731406)   #8
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
oh thanks for spoiling it for me guys
Old 26 Sep 2003, 21:55 (Ref:731412)   #9
LouisTheShark
Racer

LouisTheShark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLouisTheShark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sebring track rental fees are the highest around that time. I really don't think they would take a gamble with an event unless someone else is paying for it.
Old 27 Sep 2003, 03:12 (Ref:731521)   #10
slicktsax
Racer

slicktsax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
plus there is no real chance of an F1 race being held there because the front straight and back straight are too bumpy, the bumps would break the cars. the rest of sebring is pretty smooth but those front and back straights are really too bumpy for an F1 car.
Old 30 Sep 2003, 21:16 (Ref:735904)   #11
theracegypsy
Veteran

theracegypsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by pirenzo
I hope it's a sportscar race. Though it makes little sense to me to have a race in December and a race in March.... Maybe March and September, but you don't want two big races within such a short time span.
Ouch... September, too hot to work it, it would be worse than Miami in October!
Old 30 Sep 2003, 22:14 (Ref:735978)   #12
Chevyguy
Racer

Chevyguy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
slicksax, that was exactly my point. I was being VERY sarcastic. Please don't think I am dumb enough to beleive modern F1 would come within fifty miles of that car destroyer.

"No matter where you go, there you are"-Pigkiller
Old 30 Sep 2003, 23:59 (Ref:736063)   #13
slicktsax
Racer

slicktsax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
well i wasn't responding to u chevyguy i was responding to everyone else, anyway
Old 1 Oct 2003, 00:19 (Ref:736073)   #14
brightline
Racer

United States
Temple Terrace, FL
brightline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by pirenzo
They tried that a few years ago when they had a double headliner "Octoberfest" with then Professional Sportscar and FIA GT. They event was very poorly attended compared to the 12 hours of Sebring, and the "beer gardens" listed in the ad was a Warsteiner stand being sold by the local VFW!

I would love another event at Sebring, maybe Don Panoz will do better marketing the 2nd event better then Andy Evans did...shouldn't be tough.
Old 1 Oct 2003, 00:43 (Ref:736082)   #15
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally posted by LouisTheShark
IRL Road Course Test Weekend ???
Nice dream but all the testing is weekday and not open to the public.
Old 1 Oct 2003, 13:26 (Ref:736680)   #16
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
To thebear:

Given the December 2004 "Event" that Sebring lists on their own site, what are your thoughts concerning what this event might be, since you seem to live somewhere between Melbourne and Ft. Pierce?

From my years of living in Tampa, I know there are plenty of Snowbirds in Fla. and European visitors in December...I would think that an event at the circuit would draw some people at that time of the year...

Old 1 Oct 2003, 15:36 (Ref:736835)   #17
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Northcutt
To thebear:

Given the December 2004 "Event" that Sebring lists on their own site, what are your thoughts concerning what this event might be, since you seem to live somewhere between Melbourne and Ft. Pierce?

From my years of living in Tampa, I know there are plenty of Snowbirds in Fla. and European visitors in December...I would think that an event at the circuit would draw some people at that time of the year...
:confused: I have made some inquiries that have not been answered as of yet. As to "regular" tourists, they are not likely to search Florida for `Motorsports' in December. The Sebring raceway is not known for it's advertising in the public (as opposed to enthusiast) press.

More news when it is available.
Old 1 Oct 2003, 15:42 (Ref:736841)   #18
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Thanks! and welcome to this forum...this is the first post I've seen from you...

Old 1 Oct 2003, 17:49 (Ref:736954)   #19
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Northcutt
Thanks! and welcome to this forum...this is the first post I've seen from you...
You have finally arrived "in my back yard".

I started the thread "At the Cinema" in Armchair Racers.
Old 1 Oct 2003, 17:55 (Ref:736961)   #20
LouisTheShark
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by thebear
Nice dream but all the testing is weekday and not open to the public.
You obviously never heard of open test days for media and public. The IRL and CART have such testing events at the beginning of the year (Test in the West & Spring Training). Even at Daytona you can watch the testing from one of the grand stands near Daytona USA.

Also, the website is not specific on the date. When I think of racing events I usually think in terms of weekends, but there is nothing to suggest that this event will actually take place on a weekend.
Old 1 Oct 2003, 18:21 (Ref:737001)   #21
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Quote:
You obviously never heard of open test days for media and public.
I have worked more than a few and "the public" happened to be wandering by. They were NOT invited.

Quote:
[i] The IRL and CART have such testing events at the beginning of the year (Test in the West & Spring Training).
[/B]
I was referring to "Spring Training".

Quote:
[i] Also, the website is not specific on the date. When I think of racing events I usually think in terms of weekends, but there is nothing to suggest that this event will actually take place on a weekend. [/B]
Exactly.
Old 1 Oct 2003, 18:39 (Ref:737018)   #22
LouisTheShark
Racer

"I have worked more than a few and "the public" happened to be wandering by. They were NOT invited."

So what did that $10 ticket buy you when you went to the track for CART spring training this year?
http://cart.com/Event/Tickets.asp?Year=2003#ID472

The ALMS test at Road Atlanta, what areas was the public allowed in if not the race track?
http://www.imsaracing.net/imsaNS.cfm...374119ALMS.htm

Shall I continue to list more?
Old 2 Oct 2003, 01:25 (Ref:737344)   #23
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States

Quote:
"I have worked more than a few and "the public" happened to be wandering by. They were NOT invited."

So what did that $10 ticket buy you when you went to the track for CART spring training this year?
As a worker they pay YOU.

Quote:
"The ALMS test at Road Atlanta, what areas was the public allowed in if not the race track?
I wondered how those people got in, but was too busy to ask.

Quote:
"Shall I continue to list more?
No, perhaps it would be more productive if you directed you energy back to the original "Thread" before we both get kicked off the forum.
Old 2 Oct 2003, 11:37 (Ref:737840)   #24
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anybody remember an event called the "Longest Night" that was held in Florida in December? Maybe.........
Old 2 Oct 2003, 12:45 (Ref:737942)   #25
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States

Quote:
Originally posted by cybersdorf
Anybody remember an event called the "Longest Night" that was held in Florida in December? Maybe.........
Sure, I was one of the starters for each one of them. Cold, wet, miserable, pick one/all.

Here is the website for '01 (last one):

http://www.floridaregionscca.com/24hourmain.htm

Khumo tires also sponsord the "Kumho Tire Tropical 12 Hour of Homestead" in April this year.

There could be some `politics' involved as the Florida region of SCCA runs at Moroso and Homestead. :confused: Sebring is in the Central Florida Region of SCCA's "Territory."

Last edited by thebear; 2 Oct 2003 at 12:46.