Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 8 Jan 2004, 11:10 (Ref:831392)   #1
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Compact flash vs Microdrive

I want to get a bigger CF card for my camera. I am using a 512mb CF card but can get a 1 gb Micro drive at a reasonable price. Has anyone used microdrives, is there any problems with them and which is better CF or microdrive? I believe the MD is like a mini hard drive with moving parts in them so was wondering about speed and reliability.
Old 8 Jan 2004, 11:46 (Ref:831423)   #2
vandijk
Veteran

Netherlands
vandijk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridvandijk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Compact flash vs Microdrive

Quote:
Originally posted by falcemob
I want to get a bigger CF card for my camera. I am using a 512mb CF card but can get a 1 gb Micro drive at a reasonable price. Has anyone used microdrives, is there any problems with them and which is better CF or microdrive? I believe the MD is like a mini hard drive with moving parts in them so was wondering about speed and reliability.
Hi Falcemob,

I am currently using three microdrives and they behave fantastic. I am not the type of photographer that shoots its complete buffer full so I do not experience any lack of performance compared to a -faster- CF card (in a e.g. 10D it writes the image to the internal buffer first before it writes to the inserted media -- a faster card only means that you can shoot earlier as the images can be flushed to the card faster). You might notice the difference in speed when reviewing the pictures however. So the above really depends on the type of camera or more specific, will it have a large buffer and will you need to take a lot of shots in a row.

Another disadavantage might be the power consumpion but I do not have any CF´s to compare and besides that I use two bateries at the same time.

Up till know I have had no problems with reliability. I just traveled a month trough Thailand and the must have got some shocks in my backpack.

Cheers,
Sander.
Old 8 Jan 2004, 12:08 (Ref:831444)   #3
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Hi Sander
I have a Nikon D100 which will buffer up to 6 shots on medium size jpeg. I don't have any problems with battery power on it with CF cards. The battery will normaly last at least 3 or 4 days shooting when I go racing but I haven't tried it for longer as I re-charge whenever I can.
On another point, how do these cards cope with airport Xray?

Thanks
Tim
Old 8 Jan 2004, 17:45 (Ref:831799)   #4
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
You're right about the moving parts in an MD. It's difficult to damage a CF card unless you physically break it. An MD can get damaged simply by dropping it.

Should add that I have tried and MD and certainly haven't tried dropping one so can't say exactly how fragile they are.
Old 10 Jan 2004, 03:52 (Ref:833301)   #5
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
not from personal experience, as I have intentionally stayed away from MD's, but as Redshoes mentioned and from countless readings, the possibility of knackering a md from a simple drop onto a hard surface is a real problem.

I am not overly hard on my equipment, but in no way would I risk a big chunk of shooting and/or losing the use of a card from a real-life-could-happen drop.

It just aient worth the money saved, and even more so today with the proliferation of reasonably priced 512 and 1 gig CF cards. 2 or 3 years ago, md's were the only big cards out there, but not today, so I would strongly look at the price difference and compare the relatively small extra output versus's card robustness.
Old 10 Jan 2004, 05:09 (Ref:833326)   #6
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Hugewally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've been shooting with the same 4 1Gb MDs for 2 years now without any problems. Airport x-ray machines won't affect them so don't worry about that. If they did, then you'd have to worry about the HD in your laptop too (along with whatever portable HD you might have). In all the time I've had them, I have dropped them a couple of times, either into soft dirt or straight onto hard concrete from about 6 or 7 feet and haven't suffered any problems with them (or lost any images on them).

The write time can be a bit of a problem if you have a heavy shutter finger as I do. So occasionally, I might miss some action if I’ve filled up the buffer in the camera and have to wait for it to write to the card. But we’re only talking mere seconds for this to happen.

Power wise I haven’t noticed any problem. Seeing how I do have a heavy shutter finger, I always have extra battery packs with me to change out when needed. I probably see the biggest difference in the battery life if I don’t shoot fjpg + raw and only shoot fjpg. Can fill up 2 1Gb cards on one battery pack it seems.

martin
Old 10 Jan 2004, 16:14 (Ref:833608)   #7
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i don't think battery power is a big issue with microdrives. i've also got a d100 and the battery goes on forever with one of those anyway.

i don't agree with all these concerns about dropping a microdrive. be more careful! i've also had my microdrive in close proximity to a strong magnet (my work namebadge ) for quite a long time and it still works fine.

conclusion : they're more resilient than you think!
Old 11 Jan 2004, 03:07 (Ref:834018)   #8
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
so here are two opinions contrary to mine, fair enough, I just personally don't think the risk factor is worth the price difference, or at least not for an issue that I don't want to have to keep in mind.

In the end, concentrating on shooting is more important, so happy shooting with whatever media you use.

I suspect that again, price differences between N America and the UK can be more of an influence, with you lot paying a good deal more for this that and everything than us over here.
Old 11 Jan 2004, 09:06 (Ref:834128)   #9
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
originally posted by djb
I suspect that again, price differences between N America and the UK can be more of an influence, with you lot paying a good deal more for this that and everything than us over here.
That isnt such an issue now as we can get them off ebay, sent from the US or even Hong Kong at good prices and postage time at 4 days.

I am still none the wiser as to which to get, I think the differnce in price now is about £30 dearer for the 1GB CF card. The next thing to worry about is quaility of make :confused:
Thanks everyone for your input, it is all very helpful
Tim
Old 12 Jan 2004, 06:16 (Ref:834995)   #10
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Hugewally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by falcemob
I am still none the wiser as to which to get, I think the differnce in price now is about £30 dearer for the 1GB CF card. The next thing to worry about is quaility of make
If you don't mind reading a bit....

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...e.asp?cid=6007

If it was me, I would say to think of it as buying a new computer, buy the biggest you can afford (or a little bit more for that matter)... It'll make up for in the long run and you'll probably be happier...

martin
Old 13 Jan 2004, 16:00 (Ref:836819)   #11
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
HW thanks for that. I think I will stick with CF cards.
Thanks for the input everyone