Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Oct 2007, 07:05 (Ref:2038262)   #1
Greenback
Veteran

Singapore
Singapore
Greenback has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Will A1 overtake F1?

Now that Ferrari has agreed to supply engines and provide consultion on the design and manufacture of the series’ standard chassis.

My question is, if the future A1 cars were to become more powerful and faster than F1 cars due to further FIA restriction on F1 engine and aero development, will A1 cause damage to the popularity of F1 as the pinnacle of motor sports?
Old 12 Oct 2007, 07:15 (Ref:2038270)   #2
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rather unlikely; provided A1 is meant to be a winter series then there is no real competition with F1, what makes the difference is the amount of money around F1 which A1 will never be able to achieve, since it's monomake, and the big Auto Corporations cannot have any involvement.
Old 12 Oct 2007, 07:40 (Ref:2038281)   #3
Greenback
Veteran

Singapore
Singapore
Greenback has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
if A1 is able to generate greater TV viewership, I am sure $$ will naturally flow into the sports through TV revenue and sponsorships. We have to remember that although F1 teams do spend alot more money, but most money are spent on duplicating work.

If A1 is able to race with cars like F2007 and with slicks and more powerful engine, i am sure it will be very interesting to watch.

Not sure if Ferrari is using A1 as a platform against FIA unfavourable ideas on future F1.
Old 12 Oct 2007, 08:43 (Ref:2038307)   #4
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenback
if A1 is able to generate greater TV viewership, I am sure $$ will naturally flow into the sports through TV revenue and sponsorships.
An increase in TV viewers is pretty unlikely until it's more widely available to the average motorsport-watcher: in Britain, for example, A1GP isn't shown on terrestrial TV, so I've never seen it, and I wouldn't subscribe to a sports channel just to watch it, whereas if F1 was only available on digital TV I probably would. A1 doesn't have that pulling power.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 12 Oct 2007, 08:54 (Ref:2038315)   #5
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf's Girl
I wouldn't subscribe to a sports channel just to watch it, whereas if F1 was only available on digital TV I probably would. A1 doesn't have that pulling power.
Agreed. If F1 was subsription only I would begrudgingly pay for it. No way would I pay for A1. To be honest A1 holds very little appeal for me although that's possibly because of lack of TV coverage. I'm not into this 1 nation 1 car idea either.
Old 12 Oct 2007, 09:03 (Ref:2038322)   #6
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, overtaking is something A1GP does quite well, while F1 needs to wait for the next round of pit stops (unless it rains).

They both have their respective merits, A1GP is great wheel to wheel racing and personally I do like the nation vs nation thing.

However I doubt A1GP will ever overtake F1, catch up perhaps but only after a decade or more. They are totally different concepts however and should be able to coexist. It is already apparent that they have quite different fan bases. Many of the fans on the official A1GP forums are very passionate however very new to motorsport (and fans of Indonesia, Lebanon, Pakistan and the like).
Old 12 Oct 2007, 09:31 (Ref:2038343)   #7
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
In a word, no. F1 is F1, and will always be the worlds most popular motorsport.
Old 12 Oct 2007, 09:40 (Ref:2038349)   #8
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
One tends to forget that A1GP is still very young a series, and has to evolve abit to be a real challenge to a top tier series.

Apparently though, A1GP has constantly stressed that it is not trying to overtake F1, but rather, be satisfied to be a feeder series of sorts. Signing Ferrari is a big boost to the series, and interestingly, A1GP is a series that sort of "satisfy" the demands of the casual fans that complain about F1 - the want of more overtaking actions, nationality competition (as now we have the brits vs spaniards vs italians...) , etc...

But F1's focus is much on technology, whereas A1GP is more about just letting people with same cars fight things out.

Where A1GP lacks is the TV coverage as well as the nature of the tracks they race on. Sort things out, and they'd be a brilliant complement (not competitor) to F1.
Old 12 Oct 2007, 09:51 (Ref:2038365)   #9
MrTTraces
Veteran

Zimbabwe
A place where the coffee is cold!
MrTTraces should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like the idea of A1, but will it overtake F1! Can't see it myself.

At the end of the day it's a one make series, I doubt it'll ever be bigger than F1.
Old 12 Oct 2007, 11:49 (Ref:2038448)   #10
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It won't overtake F1 but in the early - mid nineties, the Champcar World Series in the States had the best actual racing going on. There has been a void since that A1 could easily fill if it's done right.
Old 12 Oct 2007, 12:23 (Ref:2038488)   #11
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
They'll probably be an official Ferrari entry (Team Italy).This team will win because it will say that all the other teams have information pertaining to the specification of its current car.All the other teams will be caught (red handed you could say) with these documents and will be given fines of err,about,off the top of my head,hmmmm....$100,000,000
Old 12 Oct 2007, 12:30 (Ref:2038493)   #12
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If A1GP ever becomes more popular than F1 I will never convert to the so called self proclaimed tedious 'world cup of motorsport.'
Old 12 Oct 2007, 12:36 (Ref:2038497)   #13
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
This issue has been discussed at length in the past (so, before the Ferrari deal was confirmed, but the points are still relevant).

The two series are not in competition with each other. They're both circuit racing - that's where the similarity ends.
Different times of the year; different race formats; different concept (Nation v. Nation).

In time, the popularity of A1GP will build. Probably with more popular TV rights, more coverage in magazines, etc...
It could conceivably become a new Tasman Cup series. But it's there to compliment F1 during the off-season (with a slight overlap), so you don't suffer withdrawal symptoms and have to have to annual silly season threads
Old 12 Oct 2007, 14:36 (Ref:2038560)   #14
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As has been said, this is not a direct competition between F1 and A1 GP. A1 GP will find itself competing with the GP2 winter series eventually I should imagine.

If F1 was in competition with A1 GP it would sadly crush the young series to death and this is probably a big reason it is run during the "off-season" as it were.

Both are great series, A1 GP has some terrific racing that F1 couldn't possibly hope to have at the moment and it is a terrific tonic during the quiet winter months. But it doesn't have the history and solid financial base of F1. If it was to go into competition and beat F1 it would take decades.
Old 12 Oct 2007, 14:55 (Ref:2038584)   #15
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
I'm not a big fan of A1 GP. The racing is reasonably good, but it could only really be the World Cup of Motorsport if it featured the World's top drivers (ie - Hamilton for GB, Alonso for Spain, Bordais for France, Dixon for Australia...etc).

I'd love to see it turned into a 3 or 4 race off-season series on this basis, but I realise there's little chance of it happening. It would be much more satisfying than the RoC.
Old 12 Oct 2007, 15:58 (Ref:2038623)   #16
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans
I'm not a big fan of A1 GP. The racing is reasonably good, but it could only really be the World Cup of Motorsport if it featured the World's top drivers (ie - Hamilton for GB, Alonso for Spain, Bordais for France, Dixon for Australia...etc).

I'd love to see it turned into a 3 or 4 race off-season series on this basis, but I realise there's little chance of it happening. It would be much more satisfying than the RoC.
Now that's a good idea
Old 12 Oct 2007, 16:05 (Ref:2038628)   #17
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Will A1 overtake F1 ??

Put both cars in a long straight like Barcelona or Fuji... we'll see !
Old 12 Oct 2007, 16:46 (Ref:2038652)   #18
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No, A1 will never overtake F1 in resgards to sponsorship and fan support. The idea of the series is good, but in direct competition A1 would be stomped into the ground.
Old 12 Oct 2007, 22:09 (Ref:2038874)   #19
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
if it featured the World's top drivers (ie - Hamilton for GB, Alonso for Spain, Bordais for France, Dixon for Australia...etc).
Just playing devil's advocate - you don't know they are the best drivers until you put them in equal machines (look at all the top draw Indy/Champ car drivers who have run in A1 and been made to look average by a bunch of F3 drivers).

A1 has more overtaking than any other non-oval single seaters, but overtaking alone does not make the best series.

With restricted F1 cars, A1 should be aiming to be an equal (but with the winter season, not a competitor) to US open wheel racing by the end of the decade.

Final (sad) point: the minute A1 (or anyone else) gets close to F1, Bernie & Max will crush them.
Old 12 Oct 2007, 22:14 (Ref:2038877)   #20
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hmm, weren't there big financial problems for A1 5 minutes ago and loads of questions being asked about the series' future?

I remain sceptical about the series
Old 12 Oct 2007, 23:05 (Ref:2038905)   #21
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
jab, we didn't talk about F1 financial problems, because if they have some of these, they're well covered with the popularity, fan base and current sponsorship.
Old 13 Oct 2007, 01:05 (Ref:2038949)   #22
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Those bloody Australians again, there always steeling our stuff. Dixon is a Kiwi - in case you don't know what a Kiwi is, they are from New Zealand

I don't see A1 ever coming close to F1, as courageous said The Burnie & Max show will crush them if they got close.

Having said that I am really looking forward to A1GP powered by Ferrari. What would also be very cool is for A1 & F1 to do a few joint meetings at the start and end of their respective seasons. It would defiantly be a meeting worth attending
Old 13 Oct 2007, 01:57 (Ref:2038966)   #23
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
The only problems I see with the Ferrari deal are the Italians throwing their toys out of the cot if they're not winning and problems with some teams knowing what the other teams got...

As for beating F1 no way. Max and Bernie would kill it off....
Wasn't the winter GP2 series supposed to be an assination attempt on A1GP...?
I don't watch F1 live or on live TV anymore anyway...last race I saw live was Canada.
Old 13 Oct 2007, 03:12 (Ref:2038989)   #24
Kebab
Racer

Kebab has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I think 2.5 billion Indians and Chinese will decide the future of A1 GP, not us Europeans/Americans.

E.g. India is expected to be the World's 3rd biggest economy in 15-18 years, and China the biggest in 15 (I think). Assuming A1 can last that long.
Old 13 Oct 2007, 03:13 (Ref:2038990)   #25
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The 2008/9 car will apparently be based off the F2007, with a few modifications to acomodate a bigger engine, better overtaking (less downforce?) and to continue carrying a few of the traits of the current A1 car. They'll hold onto that technical package for a few years. Ferrari have the contract for 6 years but i'd be willing to bet after 3 years they'll be doing either minor or major upgrades to the package. That timeline just says it all. By March next year, Ferrari will be a couple of seconds faster than their current package, and A1 wont be making their package any faster than the F2007 it might be based off.