Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 29 Nov 2007, 10:05 (Ref:2077839)   #1
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
RML - what are they really up to in 2008?

Intrigue, intrigue and more intrigue.................

Having read the RML snippet from 'Malcolm and Graham's Road Trip' on DSC last night, I'm desperately trying to work out what they're up to in 2008. Sure, a quick question to the right person and I could probably find out, but what's the fun in that?

This is what Malcolm wrote (forgive the copy and paste, Malcolm!):
"Are the rumour merchants correct about RML’s LMS project? Well you might ask yourselves first and foremost why you haven’t read those rumours here and then you might want to read our full visit report later this week when we’ll tell you what lurks behind the shutters in Wellingborough!"

Intriguing, isn't it! I've got a few ideas myself (which I'll add later), but what do you guys think?
Old 29 Nov 2007, 10:18 (Ref:2077844)   #2
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
my guess is they will be going up a class to LMP1 with the new closed top Lola......or possibly stay in LMP2 but again - with the new closed top Lola, as Lola are saying they think they have discovered a significant gain in a closed top LMP2.......just my 2 pence worth!
Old 29 Nov 2007, 11:14 (Ref:2077872)   #3
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
There was a rumour knocking about that they had bought the ex Charouz Lola and plan an assault on LMP1 .....

But nothing has been mentioned for fact .

Then there is the possibility of RML running the "new" Lola B08 Coupe too .

I reckon its one of the above . They have been loyal to Lola for the past few years and I see no reason for them to change .

But ..... ya never know !!!
Old 29 Nov 2007, 11:28 (Ref:2077877)   #4
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why don't you ask where their primary source of funding is coming from? MG still?

OT - if they've bought Charouz's Lola then where are Charouz going? It would be a shame to see them go.
Old 29 Nov 2007, 11:51 (Ref:2077891)   #5
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
MG? They don't pay RML anything...
http://www.rmlmallock.co.uk/web/Partners-and-Links
is the list of who does.
Old 29 Nov 2007, 11:55 (Ref:2077892)   #6
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The source of funding for their sportscar programme; unless they put the MG stickers on there out of the goodness of their hearts!
Old 29 Nov 2007, 11:58 (Ref:2077895)   #7
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zac510
The source of funding for their sportscar programme; unless they put the MG stickers on there out of the goodness of their hearts!
I think it might well come down to that. Historically there may have been some MG funding - but post collapse of MG Rover I'm not sure there's much more than plain sentimentality in that bit of branding.
Old 29 Nov 2007, 12:43 (Ref:2077919)   #8
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
There was a rumour knocking about that they had bought the ex Charouz Lola........
To me, the DSC article knocks the Charouz link well and truly on the head.

Also, "......what lurks behind the shutters in Wellingborough!" suggests the car, whatever it may be, is already there. The P1 closed Lola (B08/60) is in build at Huntingdon, so that's not lurking behind the shutters..........the closed P2 (B08/80) was only revealed mid October, at which point both existing and potential new customers had been to see the windtunnel tests with the model. Unless this project is way further down the line than has been implied, there won't be one of these lurking behind the shutters either.
Old 29 Nov 2007, 12:46 (Ref:2077920)   #9
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey
MG? They don't pay RML anything...
http://www.rmlmallock.co.uk/web/Partners-and-Links
is the list of who does.
My guess is that you probably need look no further than Mike Newton for the answer.
Old 29 Nov 2007, 13:08 (Ref:2077933)   #10
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03

Also, "......what lurks behind the shutters in Wellingborough!" suggests the car, whatever it may be, is already there. The P1 closed Lola (B08/60) is in build at Huntingdon, so that's not lurking behind the shutters..........the closed P2 (B08/80) was only revealed mid October, at which point both existing and potential new customers had been to see the windtunnel tests with the model. Unless this project is way further down the line than has been implied, there won't be one of these lurking behind the shutters either.
Does that DSC quote knock the Charouz rumour on the head? What it does say to me is that RML are in posession of something. If we assume that the Lola coupes are still at the factory that bit of speculation could be seen as being disproved, but couldn't the Charouz Lola Judd be in Wellingborough - behind shutters?

Really enjoyable thread incidentally - shades of the Rollcentre one last year.
Old 29 Nov 2007, 13:18 (Ref:2077938)   #11
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
what about one of those epsilon-eukasadi coupe things, or however the hell you spell it!....... that the ex Lola designer has designed for the spanish company.........it looks like a very serious piece of kit, and they have confirmed 2 will race next year (I think), so they must have a car in build now......perhaps thats behind the shutters?

failing that, how about this years Pescarolo, its worked for shorty, so why not RML

Last edited by knighty; 29 Nov 2007 at 13:21.
Old 29 Nov 2007, 13:25 (Ref:2077943)   #12
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
if they've bought Charouz's Lola then where are Charouz going? It would be a shame to see them go.
Talk of running a Peugeot 908 HDI VAP !!!

What does HDI VAP stand for anyway ?
Old 29 Nov 2007, 13:26 (Ref:2077945)   #13
The Real DMN
Racer

England
North Yorkshire
The Real DMN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Arn't RML involved with X-Power?
Old 29 Nov 2007, 14:01 (Ref:2077964)   #14
Dauer 962
Veteran

Dauer 962 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real DMN
Arn't RML involved with X-Power?
Yes, it is / was RML company for aftermarket sales of MG parts and the reason why there was still an MG branding on the Lola

http://www.rmlx-power.com/

Don’t know if it stills exits, site is down.
Old 29 Nov 2007, 14:54 (Ref:2077991)   #15
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauer 962
Yes, it is / was RML company for aftermarket sales of MG parts and the reason why there was still an MG branding on the Lola

http://www.rmlx-power.com/

Don’t know if it stills exits, site is down.
x-power, reminds me of this:

"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 29 Nov 2007, 15:12 (Ref:2077995)   #16
JorritVD
Veteran

Netherlands
Netherlands
JorritVD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They running/(making etc.) the Chevrolet team in the WTCC
Old 29 Nov 2007, 15:38 (Ref:2078001)   #17
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by johntt
x-power, reminds me of this:
XPower reminds me of this !!!

http://gallery.mg-rover.org/data/543.../1dsc00732.jpg
Old 29 Nov 2007, 15:38 (Ref:2078002)   #18
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by JorritVD
They running/(making etc.) the Chevrolet team in the WTCC
They are indeed, as well as the cars for the Mercedes SLR Trophy, but they will also be racing in the Le Mans Series.
Old 29 Nov 2007, 16:28 (Ref:2078018)   #19
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
The359 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When MG went under, RML bought up the X-Power division I believe.
Old 29 Nov 2007, 17:30 (Ref:2078071)   #20
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
Talk of running a Peugeot 908 HDI VAP !!!

What does HDI VAP stand for anyway ?

it's HDI FAP..
high pressure Diesel Injection Particle Filter

Ciao Marco
Old 29 Nov 2007, 17:42 (Ref:2078085)   #21
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

Maybe the Lola Coupe is being prepared at RML ready for it's shakedown test?
Old 29 Nov 2007, 17:53 (Ref:2078089)   #22
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
They are indeed, as well as the cars for the Mercedes SLR Trophy, but they will also be racing in the Le Mans Series.
RML could easily run those Mercs in GT1. Its been long enough and the Mulsanne hump is no longer there . All they need is a cheque from
Mercedes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
I'm looking forward to seeing the Lola. According to their windtunnel figures it could give an RS Spyder a run with the right engine inside.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 29 Nov 2007, 22:13 (Ref:2078248)   #23
eddsc
Racer

eddsc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good - delighted to see that we've got you speculation mongers going. Good fun!
MC
Old 29 Nov 2007, 22:22 (Ref:2078261)   #24
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
From what I have just read on DSC that is still sat in Huntingdon.

I post on another forum who have built up a link with RML over the last couple of year due to the current car being badged an MG and we can't wait to find out what they are planning for next year.
Old 30 Nov 2007, 01:05 (Ref:2078352)   #25
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
I don't think we've come up with the answer yet...........

What about the outrageous? Well, Audi have indicated that the R10 could be made available to 'privateers' (I use that word very loosely). Would RML not fall into the same category as Veloqz, Oreca and Goh in this respect? They certainly have the technical resources and expertise for such an undertaking.

RS Spyder? I think we'd know if another Spyder had been built and sold.

Lola? Well, it won't be a closed one and if it's a brand new open P1 it was ordered some time ago because the company are still talking in terms of 'the next prototype sold will be the 50th since MB took over in 1998'. They surely wouldn't buy another open P2, but the purchase of an existing P1 is a possibility (Charouz, unlikely after the DSC article, but what about Bob Berridge's Chamberlain car, what are they doing next year?). If they have bought a 'used' example, my bet would be the ex Swiss Spirit chassis complete with a lease for Audi engines.

Pescarolo? Unless they've snapped up the Listerolo very quickly or bought last year's 16 or 17 (which I very much doubt), I believe all chassis are accounted for.

Radical, Courage, Epsilon Euskadi, Creation? All very unlikely.

Embassy? Won't sell.

Which really just leaves Zytek. There have been no rumours of additional unaccounted for tubs built, but who knows? Zytek (P2) power ruled the roost at Le Mans this year and the car appeared to be marginally quicker than the Lola. If they remain in P2 next year, I reckon a Zytek would be the most likely replacement. And P1? If the Arena/Zytek/Audi rumours are true, why not an RML/Zytek/Audi P1.