Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 20 Aug 2008, 08:06 (Ref:2272035)   #26
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I should appologise re U2TC, Madge is on the grid as well as LC/GTA/Tisa/MIni

we're heading up Sat afternoon, its a long drive to set up camp for one night so we're making a weekend of it . . . .

the tin top entry lists are linked to the front page of my site if anyone wants to see them, I'm sure the HSCC won't mind !
Old 20 Aug 2008, 14:25 (Ref:2272155)   #27
Mark Griffiths
Racer

United Kingdom
Cheshire, U.K.
Mark Griffiths should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This may well be Madge's last race.

But we're going to turn her into a rally car.

I reckon she'll be great for regularities.
Old 20 Aug 2008, 17:14 (Ref:2272236)   #28
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
We cant find any where to test Galaxie and we are 3rd reserve so its just down to my Delta FF2000. Still looking foward to Pub quiz.
Old 20 Aug 2008, 22:21 (Ref:2272411)   #29
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta
We cant find any where to test Galaxie and we are 3rd reserve so its just down to my Delta FF2000. Still looking foward to Pub quiz.
You might now be first reserve as I've just withdrawn today and I believe one other has also.
I'm sure someone will drop out of Saturday testing and I note some are doing two closed wheel sessions so chances are that there would be room in the final session.
Old 21 Aug 2008, 06:36 (Ref:2272529)   #30
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents
You might now be first reserve as I've just withdrawn today and I believe one other has also.
I'm sure someone will drop out of Saturday testing and I note some are doing two closed wheel sessions so chances are that there would be room in the final session.
Thanks for that morninggents will call HSCC this morning.
Old 21 Aug 2008, 07:48 (Ref:2272560)   #31
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
theres confidence in reliability !

more engine Woes Peter ?

I'm off down the workshop to check my car over now
Old 21 Aug 2008, 10:20 (Ref:2272630)   #32
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly

more engine Woes Peter ?
Hi Zef - a bit of a tale to tell.
Having for several years paid 'mate's rate' to an engine builder friend who was very good when you could get his mind on the job I decided to go to an engine builder with a very good reputation for a rebuild over the winter and spent megabucks on a complete rebuild including rebore and new pistons, rods, cams, etc.
After the lads complained of a 'hesitation' around 7,000 RPM I decided to have a go at Brands Superprix at the end of June racing for the first time since 2001. The hesitation was certainly there and loose sump bolts allowing the oil to escape got me black flagged in the race. The main concern, however, was that I had difficulty pulling away from an Imp in the race and lap times of 2-05.1 compared to 1-51.7 in 1998 in the same car in the same spec was down to more than me being rusty and having lost whatever I may have had. Also, emulsified oil didn't look too good when checked after the race. Engine back to the builder and the upshot is a cracked bore in no. 4 cylinder and a sheared oil pump drive.

Anyone know where there is an AX block that will take a big bore?
Old 21 Aug 2008, 15:33 (Ref:2272780)   #33
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
theres on on fleabay, but its probably knackered like most fleabay stuff

you could get a 90mm Alloy BDA block . . . you'll need a mortgage though!

replaced manilfold gasket on my car (my fault as I didn't check the flange thicknesses when I changed manifolds) and all serviced ready to roll.

even had a quick flick through the circuit guide !!!!!! first time since 2004
Old 21 Aug 2008, 16:46 (Ref:2272815)   #34
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly
theres on on fleabay, but its probably knackered like most fleabay stuff

you could get a 90mm Alloy BDA block . . . you'll need a mortgage though!

replaced manilfold gasket on my car (my fault as I didn't check the flange thicknesses when I changed manifolds) and all serviced ready to roll.

even had a quick flick through the circuit guide !!!!!! first time since 2004
Are they still available?[mortgages that is]12k for a block is'nt that bad.
Old 21 Aug 2008, 17:19 (Ref:2272837)   #35
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Sorry everyone but whats an AX block and what car have you got Morninggents.Will ask around the engine builders for you this end of sunny Berkshire and very wet Oxfordshire
Old 21 Aug 2008, 17:25 (Ref:2272842)   #36
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta
Sorry everyone but whats an AX block and what car have you got Morninggents.Will ask around the engine builders for you this end of sunny Berkshire and very wet Oxfordshire
Hi Ian
It's a Ford crossflow block coveted by engine builders as it will take a large bore (except this one obviously didn't). It's for use in a 2 litre Lotus Cortina, but don't let Simon know!
Thanks
Peter
Old 21 Aug 2008, 17:40 (Ref:2272846)   #37
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Right gotcha. on the case tomorrow.
Old 21 Aug 2008, 18:00 (Ref:2272858)   #38
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Peter,I'll ask around over here in Cambridge,there are one or two people I know.
Old 21 Aug 2008, 18:35 (Ref:2272874)   #39
Matthew Sturmer
Rookie

Matthew Sturmer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've got a 2 litre lotus twin cam in my f3 and used a normal crossflow block, but bored and then liners installed. I would say that it works fine, but that would guarantee it to blow this weekend..................
Old 21 Aug 2008, 19:06 (Ref:2272895)   #40
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
AX blocks are common place in historic FF, thats where to look, they where the last 'new' blocks to be had

I have enquiries for ally blocks . . . . maybe I'll make some, painted with FiA magnetic paint obviously
Old 21 Aug 2008, 20:25 (Ref:2272941)   #41
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Theres a guy 20mins down the road from me who's got them on the shelf,does nothing but those units.
When Peter looks at his PMs,he'll find that I've located an AX for him!!
Old 22 Aug 2008, 06:50 (Ref:2273140)   #42
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Terrance yourrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrr the man
Old 22 Aug 2008, 06:57 (Ref:2273142)   #43
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
I do my best.
Old 22 Aug 2008, 19:59 (Ref:2273534)   #44
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
I do my best.
......and your best has been brilliant and much apreciated.

Been at Silverstone today watching Clubmans cars for the Mallock 50th birthday celebration this weekend and looking at the Formula Fords testing there all were using AX blocks so that's another potential source.
Old 23 Aug 2008, 06:57 (Ref:2273668)   #45
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
they're not supposed/allowed to overbore, but the blocks are strong and thick so good for thrashed std engines, even better for high capacity pre/crossflow/TC's Goodwood anglias for example

BoT all set, spares and tools all checked and repacked, car serviced, van checked, J's off to the supermarket while I load the trailer, should hit the road around noon ETA 5pm
Old 23 Aug 2008, 07:16 (Ref:2273673)   #46
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Hope it goes well Zef,and indeed for all those going,shan't be able to take a drive up as planned though.Sick friend takes precedence.
Old 24 Aug 2008, 20:35 (Ref:2274602)   #47
Chrisbie
Rookie

Chrisbie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gold Cup U2TC BMW No94

To the driver or owner of the above BMW which did a right turn into the tyre wall at Oulton Park today. Glad to see you were OK, You sprung out of the car very healthily.
I have a photo of the car exiting the previous corner, the odd thing is the two front wheels appear to be pointing in different directions !!!
send me your email address and I will send you a copy !!
With the damage you did you may not be aware of the problem prior to your sharp exit right.
CB
Old 25 Aug 2008, 19:58 (Ref:2275163)   #48
Zola
Racer

United Kingdom
Zola should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Old 25 Aug 2008, 20:07 (Ref:2275173)   #49
Zola
Racer

United Kingdom
Zola should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Old 25 Aug 2008, 20:15 (Ref:2275176)   #50