Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 28 May 2006, 11:52 (Ref:1620869)   #76
spunkwinkle
Rookie

spunkwinkle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has anyone got the winners from 1974 to 1983 and 1987 to 1988????

I Have most of the other championships from 1967....
Old 5 Jun 2006, 20:32 (Ref:1627903)   #77
spunkwinkle
Rookie

Bump!!!!!
Old 6 Jun 2006, 07:31 (Ref:1628214)   #78
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Sorry for lack of coverage sir!!

I can't say for sure but someone like Frank De Jong is good for 70's/80's touring car knowledge and is a member, you could try and pm him or something.
Old 6 Jun 2006, 12:23 (Ref:1628462)   #79
Frank de Jong
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Racer

Netherlands
Amsterdam
Frank de Jong should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFrank de Jong should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry, don't have that sort of information available at the moment. 1958-1994 BSCC/BTCC will be part of my site in the future I'm sure. But for now, I've only just finished 1960 and that will be on the site soon (1968 is already available).

If anyone has an idea about the points system of 1960, that would be most welcome; I have found many championship standings of the past BSCC/BTCC on the net; the only one missing a points total and any other names than the winner is err... 1960. I know the top-3 or -4 finishers of the 8 rounds, but that's it.

Last edited by Frank de Jong; 6 Jun 2006 at 12:30.
Old 11 Jun 2006, 05:41 (Ref:1631457)   #80
spunkwinkle
Rookie

Thanks Frank, but you have already done enough as it is...

Is there anyone else out there? Someone with a large collection of Autosports???
Old 3 Jul 2006, 20:11 (Ref:1647561)   #81
Frank de Jong
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Racer

Netherlands
Amsterdam
Frank de Jong should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFrank de Jong should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As promised: the 1960 and 1961 BSCC are on the net now. 1962 to follow.
http://homepage.mac.com/frank_de_jong/Pages/BSCC.html
Old 3 Oct 2006, 20:22 (Ref:1726926)   #82
Frank de Jong
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Racer

Netherlands
Amsterdam
I'm sorry, had to concentrate on 1970-1973, which are on my site now.
I'm desperately looking for points tables (of any year up to the late 80's really) since it is very difficult to get a grip on the point standings. If you can help me in any way (points standings after various races for instance) it would be great.
It seems that I am able to get the results of 1958, 1959, 1963-1967 and 1969 so the Group 2 and 5 years will be covered. Results after 1973 are welcome too.
Old 26 Oct 2006, 18:29 (Ref:1750307)   #83
ADAM1
Rookie

ADAM1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Help Please

hello
just wondering if anyone has any pictures of the 1985 british touring car championship of Barry sheene in the toyota supra. if anyone cn help with any pictures of the car it would be most appriciated

thanks all
Old 27 Oct 2006, 07:03 (Ref:1750737)   #84
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADAM1
hello
just wondering if anyone has any pictures of the 1985 british touring car championship of Barry sheene in the toyota supra. if anyone cn help with any pictures of the car it would be most appriciated

thanks all
Worth a try would be the "Champions:Sheene" DVD on Barry Sheene's career. In the video is included some action from the 1985 BTCC round at Oulton Park, naturally featuring footage of Sheene in action.
Old 22 Mar 2009, 17:31 (Ref:2422101)   #85
Jesper OH
Veteran

Jesper OH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can anyone help with a full list of 1987 BTCC points as well as full results for the Silverstone GP support race? In both cases I have Autosport as only source and in both cases
the magazine is incomplete.

Jesper
Old 22 Mar 2009, 17:50 (Ref:2422113)   #86
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Jesper- I've got what I think might be the complete points table, and I've got results for the GP support, though they're incomplete- think I've got the complete finishing order, but may be missing a lot of the race times, qualifying positions etc

I'll dig them out and see if they're any help
Old 22 Mar 2009, 18:07 (Ref:2422121)   #87
Jesper OH
Veteran

Thank you KA. Class C has been bothersome despite few runners.

Jesper
Old 23 Mar 2009, 16:19 (Ref:2422869)   #88
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
I'll try to dig them out and post them tonight
Old 4 Dec 2009, 02:51 (Ref:2593784)   #89
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What was the pointscoring system in 1988?
Old 4 Dec 2009, 14:16 (Ref:2593990)   #90
Jesper OH
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID PATERSON View Post
What was the pointscoring system in 1988?
As in previous years it used the F1 scale of 9-6-4-3-2-1 points for top-6 positions in each class - no overall points. By 1987 restrictions on a minimum number of runners started to affect the points, but currently haven't figured out excatly what triggered 6 points for a class win and sometimes 4 or even 0! By 1988 there was a rule that at least four of the starting drivers had to complete the first two laps of the race for any points to be distributed.
There was also a bonus point for fastest lap in each class.

I can hopefully be a little more specific in a couple of days, when I have a proper look at my 1988 file.

Jesper
Old 14 Jan 2010, 22:11 (Ref:2613565)   #91
Jesper OH
Veteran

Going back to 1986 for a small update. While looking for details on the 1987 Mike O'Brien Holden, there's a mention of a Clive Faine of Linden Racing, who ran O'Brien's Rover in 1986. The same Faine has helped on sponsoring the '87 Holden.

This was from Autosport March 5 1987 and looking just below '87 plans of the Alfa Romeo Dealter Team is mentioned with Jon Dooley and Rob Kirby driving in John West Salmon sponsoring. Nothing new in that but this is confirmed of a Michael Lindsay of the ARDT. Was Lindsay the guy behind the team, as I thought it was Dooley?

These questions of team owner ID are mainly inspired by Janos Wimpffen of "Time and Two Seats" fame. In his tomes of a book he has replaced the traditional team names with that of the owner where it has been possible. Perhaps a bit frustating at first, but invaluable if you want to follow the same team - sometimes under differing names - on a year by year basis. After all, a team with a car is the first requirement to show up for a race, then it's a matter of getting someone to drive the car.

Jesper
Old 15 Jan 2010, 00:30 (Ref:2613627)   #92
KA
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesper OH View Post
Going back to 1986 for a small update. While looking for details on the 1987 Mike O'Brien Holden, there's a mention of a Clive Faine of Linden Racing, who ran O'Brien's Rover in 1986. The same Faine has helped on sponsoring the '87 Holden.

This was from Autosport March 5 1987 and looking just below '87 plans of the Alfa Romeo Dealter Team is mentioned with Jon Dooley and Rob Kirby driving in John West Salmon sponsoring. Nothing new in that but this is confirmed of a Michael Lindsay of the ARDT. Was Lindsay the guy behind the team, as I thought it was Dooley?

These questions of team owner ID are mainly inspired by Janos Wimpffen of "Time and Two Seats" fame. In his tomes of a book he has replaced the traditional team names with that of the owner where it has been possible. Perhaps a bit frustating at first, but invaluable if you want to follow the same team - sometimes under differing names - on a year by year basis. After all, a team with a car is the first requirement to show up for a race, then it's a matter of getting someone to drive the car.

Jesper
Clive Faine's name definitely rings a bell from the Neil McGrath/Mike O'Brien Linden Rovers, and O'Brien's Commoore. I had a vague memory that he also competed in his own right, in rallying- I think there was a Linden Racing Sierra Cosworth rallycar at one point?
A quick Google suggests that he's in the property business, with a company called Abbeygate
http://www.propertyweek.com/story.asp?storycode=3086555

Reading further through that article, it turns up something I definitely didn't know- that he was a senior executive at Connells, who sponsored the Neil McGrath Rover, so if not the owner, then maybe he was the sponsor?

I don't know much about the Alfa Romeo Dealer Team setup, or who actually ran it. I did read something about the GTV6s a while ago which from memory mentioned that the two cars were built and prepared separately by different companies- (think I posted something on this in the GTV6 thread?), so it's possible that the ARDT cars actually had different ownership- In the GTV6 days they definitely had different sponsors at first- Dooley's in black Napolina colours, Kirby's in white 'Salmon Can' (a canned salmon industry marketing campaign) and 'John West' colours
Old 15 Jan 2010, 08:33 (Ref:2613712)   #93
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA View Post
Clive Faine's name definitely rings a bell from the Neil McGrath/Mike O'Brien Linden Rovers, and O'Brien's Commoore. I had a vague memory that he also competed in his own right, in rallying- I think there was a Linden Racing Sierra Cosworth rallycar at one point?
A quick Google suggests that he's in the property business, with a company called Abbeygate
http://www.propertyweek.com/story.asp?storycode=3086555

Reading further through that article, it turns up something I definitely didn't know- that he was a senior executive at Connells, who sponsored the Neil McGrath Rover, so if not the owner, then maybe he was the sponsor?

I don't know much about the Alfa Romeo Dealer Team setup, or who actually ran it. I did read something about the GTV6s a while ago which from memory mentioned that the two cars were built and prepared separately by different companies- (think I posted something on this in the GTV6 thread?), so it's possible that the ARDT cars actually had different ownership- In the GTV6 days they definitely had different sponsors at first- Dooley's in black Napolina colours, Kirby's in white 'Salmon Can' (a canned salmon industry marketing campaign) and 'John West' colours
My memory (which is becoming increasingly unreliable!) is that the ARDT cars were also run by John Dooley's team (but as I say, I may not be able ot rely on my memory!).
Old 15 Jan 2010, 10:55 (Ref:2613757)   #94
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Might be able to help with a bit more 'fleshing out' so to speak.

Clive Faine of Linden, also ran a Metro 6R4 to some success on the club rallying scene I think, after the Rovers but possibly at the same time he was backing/entering the Commodore.

The ARDT Napolina and Salmon Can cars were built or at least prepared by Bob Dove and Michael Lindsay was the team the spokesman. Dooley's car was originally an Alfa GB Directors car that got crumped on the road and either sold, or more likely donated to Jon's lot to spec up for Grp 1 in 1982 before it was changed to Group A spec from 83-86.

Bob Dove of RS Engineering (responsible for a lot of Alfa work and other race prepping) was the builder/preparation man behind most if not all of the ARDT cars including the previous Grp1/A Alfasuds (Myerscough,Thorpe etc) and later the 75's.

I'm not totally sure but Jon's 75 may even have been using his GTV6 chassis and running gear as the 2 cars shared the same floorpan as I understand it. At the time the engine note was certainly the same in both cars!

Last edited by chunterer; 15 Jan 2010 at 19:36.
Old 15 Jan 2010, 13:03 (Ref:2613793)   #95
KA
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Might be able to help with a bit more 'fleshing out' so to speak.

Clive Faine of Linden, also ran a Metro 6R4 to some success on the club rallying scene I think, after the Rovers but possibly at the same time he was backing/entering the Commodore.

The ARDT Napolina and Salmon Can cars were built or at least prepared by Bob Dove and Michael Lindsay was the team the spokesman. Dooley's car was originally an Alfa GB Director's car that got crumped on the road and either sold, or more likely donated to Jon's lot to spec up for Grp 1 in 1982 before it was changed to Group A spec from 83-86.

Bob Dove of RS Engineering (responsible for a lot of Alfa work and other race prepping) was the builder/preparation man behind most if not all of the ARDT cars including the previous Grp1/A Alfasuds (Myerscough,Thorpe etc) and later the 75's.

I'm not totally sure but Jon's 75 may even have been using his GTV6 chassis and running gear as the 2 cars shared the same floorpan as I understand it. At the time the engine note was certainly the same in both cars!
That sounds about right from what I've read- Looking back at the Alfa GTV6 thread, Rob Kirby's car (the 'Salmon Can' car) was apparently built from a second-hand road car by Kirby's own crew, (with engines by Bob Dove/RS Engineering). RS later took over running the car for 1985, around the same time that John West took over as sponsor for Kirby's car- Dooley's car continuing to carry the black Napolina colours until mid-season IIRC?
http://tentenths.com/forum/showpost....0&postcount=62
Old 15 Jan 2010, 16:06 (Ref:2613832)   #96
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA View Post
That sounds about right from what I've read- Looking back at the Alfa GTV6 thread, Rob Kirby's car (the 'Salmon Can' car) was apparently built from a second-hand road car by Kirby's own crew, (with engines by Bob Dove/RS Engineering). RS later took over running the car for 1985, around the same time that John West took over as sponsor for Kirby's car- Dooley's car continuing to carry the black Napolina colours until mid-season IIRC?
http://tentenths.com/forum/showpost....0&postcount=62
Yes you're right KA, having refreshed the memory Steve Colbourne was RS and Bob Dove was a separate engine builder, but I guess they were all considered as part of the ARDT 'team'!!

There are RS stickers on the front of the Napolina car in one of the images in that thread.
Old 15 Jan 2010, 17:47 (Ref:2613870)   #97
Jesper OH
Veteran

The ARDT Alfa team was a bit of a hodge podge of different components then!? From what I remember, the original '82 Napolina GTV6 was upgraded from stock standard to more and more RAC Group 1 by the race, eventually becomming the car to beat in the otherwise weakish class B of 1982.
The shared floorpan of the GTV and the 75 is new to me, but why not!

As I understand it Alan Docking ran the Commodore for Mike O'Brien in the 1987 BTCC with Clive Faine helping with sponsorship but otherwise not involved with the actual hands-on on the car.

Jesper

Last edited by chunterer; 15 Jan 2010 at 19:36.
Old 17 Jan 2010, 01:24 (Ref:2614477)   #98
Jesper OH
Veteran

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rover-Vitesse'...10179001r14327

How do I notify the otherwise dependaple Simon Lewis that this picture is of 1987-vintage rather than 1989? Tim Harvey sat very confortably in the Labatt's/Rouse RS500 by 1989 but is seen here battling it out with fellow Rover protagonist Dennis Leech.

As the link don't work disregard my message ..but do a search at Ebay if you're interested.

Jesper

Last edited by Jesper OH; 17 Jan 2010 at 01:31. Reason: link problem
Old 17 Jan 2010, 18:38 (Ref:2614752)   #99
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Hi everyone for ease of reading/posting/correlating etc i've separated individual years out of here and into their own threads.

See here:

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120491

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120490

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120492

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120493

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120494

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120488

Some of them are obviously smaller than others, and I suspect, still in need of much input!! Looking forward to seeing them grow as further old info arises.
Old 18 Jan 2010, 18:39 (Ref:2615239)   #100
bigears
Racer

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
bigears should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have contacted someone who was involved with the Birmingham Superprix in the past and have requested some information about the cancelled 1988 BTCC round.

I will keep you all posted soon.