Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 4 Sep 2003, 18:43 (Ref:708302)   #1
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Toyota MR2 series announced today?

In todays Autosport theres an item about a 10 round series being planned for next year for the mark1 Toyota MR2. Being organised by a guy called Steve Vince, however theres no contact details. Its supposed to be running under the aegis of the 750MC however I cant see any details on their website.

Anybody know any more ??
Old 4 Sep 2003, 19:21 (Ref:708341)   #2
Tony_Simpson
Veteran

Tony_Simpson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is something on the mr2mk1 web site (www.mr2mk1club.com) but again not alot. The only regs I can see is on this site, which as far as I can see is fast road spec, but not alot of details of the engine specs to be run.

I think Steve Vince is a member of Ten-Tenths, so perhaps he could let us know of some more details????

It could be a good series, and the 750mc are good at starting series off, just have to wait and see.
Old 5 Sep 2003, 07:57 (Ref:708853)   #3
Keith Wheeler
Rookie

Keith Wheeler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will be very surprised if this ever gets off the ground, given the current crackdown on poorly-supported chamionships.
Old 5 Sep 2003, 08:10 (Ref:708860)   #4
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Apparently it might run within another championship, maybe roadsports?
Old 5 Sep 2003, 16:11 (Ref:709303)   #5
Tony_Simpson
Veteran

Tony_Simpson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They are running in the Roadsports championship, and even if the series does not take off the cars can still run in the roadsports championship.
Old 16 Sep 2003, 18:22 (Ref:721041)   #6
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

I saw an advert in last weeks Autosport offering turnkey MR2s for 5k or hire at 525pounds per race. Contact stephenzebra@aol.com. I will find out if he is the organiser.
Old 16 Sep 2003, 23:11 (Ref:721292)   #7
superbird
Racer

superbird should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
he is the guy with a single seater formula in the karting forum. Sounds quite good, only 150 quid ish more than a Rotax Max Super One so i think we might do a couple next year
Old 17 Sep 2003, 11:41 (Ref:721694)   #8
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will be very interested to see how restrictive the regs are.

Considering a semi decent Mr2 can be bought for 1500 quid, just sticking in a cage, seat, switch and extinguisher would make it a very cheap way of going racing!

Just hope you don't have to spend thousands on the engine!
Old 17 Sep 2003, 11:52 (Ref:721706)   #9
JR Ewing
Veteran

JR Ewing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
sticking in a cage,seat, switch and extinguisher would make it cost more than a reasonable mid-80s FF1600 can be bought for. oh, and it will have far less places to play and be a helluva lot less fun to race, albeit perhaps a LITTLE less £ to run, depending on tyres.
Old 17 Sep 2003, 12:05 (Ref:721724)   #10
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I reckon it could be done for 2500 max, can you get FF1600's for that? won't need a trailer / tow car (although I might have access to one for emergencies).. and could use it sprinting / hillclimbing whenever I want.

I hear what your saying, but this might just 'fit' for some people
Old 17 Sep 2003, 12:15 (Ref:721736)   #11
JR Ewing
Veteran

JR Ewing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
true it might suite some, although you could get an unfashionable FF for that and can use it for hillclimbing and sprinting and do you really want to drive your racing car to the track?
Old 17 Sep 2003, 16:32 (Ref:722046)   #12
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

This is the reply I got from Stephen:
"a dedicated web site will be up and running by 1st october.
till then this is where we are
10/12 round series next year for initially mk 1 mr2's only a class for mk2's will be added later if there is a demand . this will be for basically road spec cars no performence enhancements will be allowed its a budget series
an engine supplier/tyre make will be designated to ensure a level playing field.
we will run with the 750mc for the first year but we have negotiating with the wrda for a shorter series based solely at pembrey with dates chosen to allow for both series to be done should some one wish or to allow two people to share costs and have a championship each to contest.cars will be road spec so can be used for racing and road use.
cars will be available built ready to race from 5-6k depending on spec to hire from 500 -550 per race or kits to convert your own car price tba or if you have a car we can prep it for you to your own spec.
as i say more details availble on web soon
we are demoing/raceing at mallory 19th sept if you want to come for a chat and see the cars."

vely intrestin, especially as I have one sat outside.... now if only it had more than 3 gears and no glass sunroof!
Old 17 Sep 2003, 16:45 (Ref:722064)   #13
DSM
Veteran

DSM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd slow down a bit here. The single seater thing was the subject of a thread on the Karting forum. At this stage it is a 'design on the blocks'. I would check whether either of these cars actually exists before I started planning rounds!!
Old 18 Sep 2003, 16:47 (Ref:723218)   #14
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Will be interested to see what the 'engine supplier' bit means! That could push up costs stoopidly.. why do you need a supplier if you can't modify the engine anyway??

ghinzani - Why not just take the glass roof out?? Surely they can't exclude T bars from entering, as that's what most of them are!
Old 5 Jan 2007, 18:26 (Ref:1807694)   #15
car13
Rookie

United Kingdom
Westhoughton
car13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Friel
Will be interested to see what the 'engine supplier' bit means! That could push up costs stoopidly.. why do you need a supplier if you can't modify the engine anyway??

ghinzani - Why not just take the glass roof out?? Surely they can't exclude T bars from entering, as that's what most of them are!

Engine mod's, most race series suffer from this problem even with good regulations those with big buck can work way forward.

There arnt many clubman based series that allow evening racing which is a shame as it prices a lot of us out of racing......
Old 18 Sep 2003, 16:57 (Ref:723225)   #16
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

yeah dan but what do I put in its place? would need to find a steel sunroof exactly the same size - are they much of a muchness? the only experience I have of them is when the cassete broke on my beemer and it cost me 700 sheet!! They should cut the roofs off these MR2's and make them like American c - spec racers! I think thats the class anyway.

You interested in swapping the MG for an MR2
Old 18 Sep 2003, 16:58 (Ref:723226)   #17
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

then? (he failed to add...)
Old 18 Sep 2003, 23:34 (Ref:723629)   #18
STEPHEN VINCE
Rookie

STEPHEN VINCE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JUST TO BRING YOU GUYS UP TO DATE WITH THE MR2 SERIES 2004
YES IT IS HAPPENING WE HAVE TWO CARS BUILT AND TESTING
AS WE SPEAK AND ANOTHER SIX ABOUT TO START PREPERATION SO I HOPE ALL THOSE WHO HAVE EXPRESSED INITIAL INTEREST WRITE OUT SOME CHEQUES OR IM GOING TO BE SERIOUSLY OUT OF POCKET.

TWO DRIVERS TESTED FOR NEXT YEARS HIRE DRIVES AT SNETTERTON ONLY LAST TUESDAY WE WILL HAVE THEM OUT IN A RACE TO TEST THE WATER AT MALLORY 19TH OCTOBER SO YOU CAN SEE THEY ARE NOT MY IMAGINATION WITH A SERIES PLANED FOR NEXT YEAR WITH EXPANSION TO MR2 MK2'S AND MX 5'S ETC ETC PLANED LATER IF ITS SUCESFULL.

OUR WEB SITE WILL BE LAUNCHED OCT 1ST WITH ALL THE INFO RED DRAGON AUTOMOTIVE.COM ALONG WITH DETAILS OF OUR NEW SLICKS AND WINGS CAR SERIES WHICH ALSO DOES EXIST IN THE FLESH IS TESTING AND WILL BE HAPPENING NEXT YEAR BUT WONT BE OFICIALLY LAUNCHED TILL THE SPONSORSHIPS SORTED THAT CAR MAY ALSO BE AT MALLORY .

IF YOU WANT MORE INFO YOU KNOW WHERE TO COME
STEPHENZEBRA@AOL.CO
Old 18 Sep 2003, 23:45 (Ref:723632)   #19
STEPHEN VINCE
Rookie

STEPHEN VINCE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
REGARDING SPEC OF CARS
THE WHOLE POINT OF THE SERIES IS FOR IT TO BE A BUDGET SERIES
SO IT WILL BE AS NEAR STANDARD ROAD SPEC AS WE CAN MAKE IT [ALTHOUGH LONG TERM WE HAVE PLANES FOR A LARGER CHAMPIONSHIP FOR ALL JAPANESE MARQUES ALLOWING ANY STATE OF TUNE] WHILST SAYING THAT I DONT THINK MOTORSPORT CAN BE THOUGHT OF AS CHEEP IF YOUR SRYGGLING TO PAY THE MORTGAUG JUST A BIT CHEEPER THAN OTHER FORMS
TYRE AND ENGINE WISE THE CONSIDEARTIONS ARE TO ENSURE NO ONE IS FIDDLING WITH TRICK ENGINES OR TYRES THSES COMPONENTS WILL BE AVAILABLE BECAUSE OF THE DISCOUNTS WE ARENEGOTIATING CHEEPER THAN RETAIL SO IT WONT COST YOU MORE THAN YOU WOULD PAY IN THE OPEN MARKET AS IT WERE AND WE CAN ENSURE NO ONE CHEETS OR BUYS THERE WAY TO THE TOP.
THE SERIES WILL START AS A CLASS WITHIN ROAD SPORTS AND WHEN THE NUMBERS JUSTIFY IT HAVE A CHAMPIONSHIP OF ITS OWN. BUT THAT IS UP TO YOU GUYS IF ITS NOT THE RIGHT IDEA THEN I HAVE FAILED
STEPHENZEBRA@AOL.COM
PS YES T BARS CAN RACE ONE OF OUR CARS IS AND HAS BEEN SRUTINEERD AS OK. if you want a plate to replace a glass roof we can do that for you because we have had to deal with that problem with our second car
Old 19 Sep 2003, 07:09 (Ref:723793)   #20
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Cool steve, that sounds very interesting! Engine/gearbox wise whats the idea? will you be supplying spec units or kits? Most people (like me ) with an old MR2 hanging about probably needs their engines overhauled as most will have done well over a 100,000 miles.The plate idea for the sunroof is great news, whats the thinking going to be around shocks??
Old 19 Sep 2003, 09:05 (Ref:723898)   #21
Maisie
Veteran

Maisie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Steve, a word on Netiquette. Typing in caps is considered SHOUTING.
Old 19 Sep 2003, 10:26 (Ref:723981)   #22
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

So does that rule out logging on from London, Paris, Moscow etc??
Old 19 Sep 2003, 15:45 (Ref:724358)   #23
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
I'm looking forward to seeing the details!

MR2 is to replace my second car - the Rover 200.. So I'll end up having two very pratical cars! And both ready for the track (when I fix the MG that is).

Off to check out autotrader.
Old 23 Sep 2003, 07:15 (Ref:727316)   #24
Richy_Rich
Racer

France
France
Richy_Rich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A colleague of mine went to test drive one of the cars at Snetterton, he much enjoyed it I think. I was supposed to go too, but couldn't get the time off work.

I'll see if I can make him join in on this thread...Then he can tell you why he needs to buy/hire another MR2
Old 23 Sep 2003, 07:38 (Ref:727356)   #25
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Well I have to say before I actually got with my present missus and had'nt driven one I thought they were hairdresser motors, but around the lanes of Dorset the things fantastic - perhaps more fun than my 325 BMW. The handling is superb, and I can just imagine how nice it will be thru Gerards or the Craners.... Defo get your mate on here Richy, I want to hear more.