Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 2 Mar 2004, 13:22 (Ref:891199)   #1
ngroom
Rookie

ngroom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Women's racing

What advice can anyone give RE: getting into women's racing? I don't have a race car or any clue where to start. All I know is that I drive fast and well and I'd LOVE to get involved with some actual races...
Old 2 Mar 2004, 13:39 (Ref:891218)   #2
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
um... theres no difference - women race with men (and often beat em)

try the big clubs 750mc are the best in my opinion...

of course theres an excellent book on the subject here...

http://www.veloce.co.uk/shop/product...up=Motorsport&

but I would say that...
Old 2 Mar 2004, 14:55 (Ref:891294)   #3
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
graeme should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lots of women in Caterham Graduates, and a female champion the year before last. Come along to one of our races, or our trackday on Sunday, and have a chat with them. www.graduates.org.uk
Old 2 Mar 2004, 15:32 (Ref:891329)   #4
Bob Pearson
Veteran

Bob Pearson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ngroom,
there is no such thing as women's racing, it's there for us all to enjoy. There have been women in all classes of racing I can think of as long as I can remember and I have been well beaten by some of them. It is a misconception that women are at a disadvantage because of their lack of mechanical knowledge. When you consider that we all need someone to help us on the day, male or female, then all you need to do is gather someone up who has the same passion for racing as you have but for one reason or another will never race and then set out to buy a car with his advice and give it a shot.
If you look closely at club racing you will find women sprinkled through almost all formulas, speed and size of cars isn't an issue. The issue is, just like the men, how much money and how much determination you have.
Old 2 Mar 2004, 17:35 (Ref:891464)   #5
listernoble
Racer

United Kingdom
Norfolk UK
listernoble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Women racing drivers

There is a British Ladies Racing Club,look at the Chevron Race car site as one of the directors is involved.
Lister
Old 2 Mar 2004, 19:45 (Ref:891610)   #6
Keith Wheeler
Rookie

Keith Wheeler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
see www.bwrdc.co.uk
Old 2 Mar 2004, 21:04 (Ref:891685)   #7
flagwaver
Veteran

England
Yorkshire
flagwaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why not look at hillclimbing or sprinting still about speed & car control but you only have to look out for yourself. Can help keep cost down as well if you share a car.
Old 4 Mar 2004, 02:33 (Ref:893075)   #8
Red Dog
Racer

Red Dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Go along to one of the 750mc meetings and see which cars interest you first. Have a chat with the formula representative or just ask around the drivers. Most will be friendly although some will be next to useless to chat to, especially if they are about to go out on track and are of a nervous disposition! Most types of racing require you to either know quite a bit about working on cars or have a friend who does unless you have money to spend and can hire someone to prepare the car for you.

You can race for about £3-4,000 per season in the less expensive 750 club formulae and cars can be about that to buy. That figure includes entry fees for 12 races, tow car fuel, a bit of accommodation, maintenance on the race car. Your licence and kit is going to cost about £6-700.
Old 4 Mar 2004, 08:59 (Ref:893242)   #9
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Check out the following sites:

www.brscc.co.uk
WWW.barc.net

As they are the two major organising clubs and should be able to help you choose. It will depend on your age, budget etc etc.

Wishing you every success....

Stephen.
Old 12 Mar 2004, 01:13 (Ref:902629)   #10
Nigel Wilson
Rookie

England
Washington
Nigel Wilson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You could also consider kart racing. There are several circuits fairly near to you where you could see first hand what an exiting form of motorsport it is. Also check out this web site for more information. www.karting.co.uk
Old 12 Mar 2004, 08:28 (Ref:902932)   #11
ngroom
Rookie

Thanks everyone - ur advice has been really good. Sorry to be a little un-PC to assume that women usually race separately. Unfortunately, money seems as though it's going to be a big issue - I will take all your tips on board though and reckon I might try my hand at go-karting for starters???
Old 12 Mar 2004, 09:25 (Ref:902965)   #12
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
club 100 is a good place to start
Old 12 Mar 2004, 10:23 (Ref:903022)   #13
ngroom
Rookie

Yeah thanks for all website referrals - I've had a surf and a few have proved quite informative. I think I may also invest in SS_Collin's book, too!

Silverstone's near me so I may also see what they have on for amateur drivers