Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 9 May 2022, 22:09 (Ref:4109479)   #276
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
Grim. The Indy road course is awful. WEC should run at Road America.

https://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/...ure-indy-race/
I've honestly never understood the need to run a road race at Indy. The place is famous for a single race on the oval, your sports car race has no great prestige simply because a different race on a different track layout exists. :EndRant:

It is fine if the wec wants to run a second race in America now that formula 1 does. About logistically I think they have to pack it around Sebring, they don't want to visit North America two separate trips. Sebring is in March, and that does not leave you a lot of pleasing weather options for racetracks in America.
Old 9 May 2022, 22:26 (Ref:4109481)   #277
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I've honestly never understood the need to run a road race at Indy. The place is famous for a single race on the oval, your sports car race has no great prestige simply because a different race on a different track layout exists. :EndRant:

It is fine if the wec wants to run a second race in America now that formula 1 does. About logistically I think they have to pack it around Sebring, they don't want to visit North America two separate trips. Sebring is in March, and that does not leave you a lot of pleasing weather options for racetracks in America.

business, the same very reason why indy infield was made in 1999 to host f1 gp
Old 9 May 2022, 23:58 (Ref:4109486)   #278
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
Grim. The Indy road course is awful. WEC should run at Road America.

https://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/...ure-indy-race/

1.000 km at least!
Old 10 May 2022, 04:48 (Ref:4109493)   #279
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post

Got you covered, boss.

But as you say, options are limited if the WEC is sticking to keeping freight costs down. Add that to the grade requirements for WEC circuits, and the availability at short notice, and Indianapolis might be the only circuit left.

They could move Sebring, but after the success of the "Super Weekend," I can't see this happening.
Old 10 May 2022, 10:10 (Ref:4109514)   #280
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yeah, with WEC calendar shortened to 6-7 races including LM and toyota mandatory fuji round, it will be hard to have a second US race, unless to drop sebring or having a sebring-indy back to back.
Old 10 May 2022, 16:59 (Ref:4109584)   #281
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
I'd hope that the WEC realises that, for the near future at least, they are second fiddle at Sebring, and that that's okay. But I can't discount the need to be the biggest (only?) game in town.
Old 10 May 2022, 17:09 (Ref:4109585)   #282
canaglia
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Jay View Post
I'd hope that the WEC realises that, for the near future at least, they are second fiddle at Sebring, and that that's okay. But I can't discount the need to be the biggest (only?) game in town.

as f1 miami gp teaches, most of times is hard to tell the difference between sport/motorsport and big marketing events when sport is involved in US, so, in my opinion, if penske can provide ACO and manufacturers extra profits by making a race in indiapanapolis, they would sign the deal on spot. The fact indy infield is one of ugliest tracks ever made is just a detail...
Old 10 May 2022, 17:54 (Ref:4109592)   #283
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Jay View Post
It's going to be interesting to see how big a standard 6-hour race can become by 2024 and beyond. The current events really don't have much pop to them from what I can see given that, in theory, it should be the second biggest thing on a circuit beyond F1. I consider myself a hardcore sportscar fan and I frequently travel abroad for motorsport events - yet I (as yet) have no interest in attending a foreign 6-hour WEC race.

At the moment it kind of feels like if they can pack out the main grandstand that's a success - and I think for now that's valid given the on-track product hasn't been the most inspiring. But that's all going to change and it's going to be super interesting to see how it grows. FE still doesn't seem in the rudest health but from a visual + promotional standpoint quite a few rounds are running rings around WEC. You only need to look at some of the insanity from these F1 new events to recognise there is going to need to be some trickle down effect for major world championships.
Old 10 May 2022, 20:51 (Ref:4109609)   #284
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
I consider myself a hardcore sportscar fan and I frequently travel abroad for motorsport events - yet I (as yet) have no interest in attending a foreign 6-hour WEC race.
Not even for Spa or Monza?

Spa was rammed at the weekend. Monza will be too. Le Mans is awesome. Super Sebring is awesome. I don't personally want any non-racing related razmatazz around these great events and confess I don't really understand why this would be deemed necessary for their future success.
Old 10 May 2022, 22:23 (Ref:4109615)   #285
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
Not even for Spa or Monza?

Spa was rammed at the weekend. Monza will be too. Le Mans is awesome. Super Sebring is awesome. I don't personally want any non-racing related razmatazz around these great events and confess I don't really understand why this would be deemed necessary for their future success.
Maybe I'm not explaining myself that well - but I do think the championship will need to step up to an extent in its promotion. It could become SO much bigger across an entire season.

And when I'm saying it needs to step up, I'm thinking more around benefits that lead to hooking in corporate sponsors and naming partners, or maybe it's better TV deals, increased social media visibility etc. Use this coming momentum to boost the series long-term and not be satisfied with what they already have.

At the circuit is one part of it and I take your point about some existing great events. That said, I've seen your Flickr page and I've gotta say, I think you're one of the most committed motorsport fans I've ever seen. Genuinely. Major respect for that. In that sense I don't think it's you they ever need to worry about.
Old 11 May 2022, 12:24 (Ref:4109653)   #286
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
or maybe it's better TV deals
Nonsense, Mark Cole and Carlton Kirby talking about cycling while watching a sportscar race is exactly what got me hooked on this sport in the first place.
Old 11 May 2022, 12:52 (Ref:4109659)   #287
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
You do wonder if they are putting in less effort to the TV coverage and it's not a top priority for the TV station as say cycling. It's a shame after the great coverage they gave in the 10s when the series was booming
Old 11 May 2022, 18:14 (Ref:4109684)   #288
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
Sorry to be that guy, but was the TV coverage really that great? Or did it seem much more comprehensive than the lack of coverage beforehand? I'm genuinely curious, as I only really got into sportscars in the early-10s.

With what's on the horizon, the ACO are in a good place to push for better media deals. I just hope they aren't too cautious in light of how badly they were burned when VAG left.
Old 20 May 2022, 14:38 (Ref:4110700)   #289
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Penske done in P2 after Le Mans so they can focus on testing the Porsche on both sides of the Atlantic.

Still looking for a race debut this season - Bahrain specifically.

https://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/...after-le-mans/
Old 22 May 2022, 10:17 (Ref:4110905)   #290
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Good luck to them, this will be quite a challenging road ahead for them. But they should have a good car under them, so let's hope the car is tested well
Old 4 Jun 2022, 10:46 (Ref:4112817)   #291
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Pictures from Spa: https://bit.ly/3NlYox9

Enjoy!
Old 13 Jun 2022, 13:03 (Ref:4115357)   #292
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
Pictures from Spa: https://bit.ly/3NlYox9

Enjoy!
Nice, especially the cars climbing the Raidillon.
Old 15 Jun 2022, 11:34 (Ref:4115719)   #293
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quite surprising to read Ogier might have contested his last round for this season - https://www.autosport.com/wec/news/o...ebut/10322484/

Talk about still wanting to get a seat in a third Toyota, but I'd have thought seat time and particularly racing seat time is vital for that.
Old 15 Jun 2022, 19:47 (Ref:4115795)   #294
JoeW04
Veteran

JoeW04 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJoeW04 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Quite surprising to read Ogier might have contested his last round for this season - https://www.autosport.com/wec/news/o...ebut/10322484/

Talk about still wanting to get a seat in a third Toyota, but I'd have thought seat time and particularly racing seat time is vital for that.
Yeah I also find it pretty strange, the fact he won’t even do the rest of the WEC season makes me guess that Toyota have told him a 3rd car probably won’t happen, why would Toyota upset the 2 car apple cart…we’ve seen what happens with 3 cars as well
Old 17 Jun 2022, 08:13 (Ref:4116024)   #295
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah, Toyota have already said publically that a 3rd car is very unlikely, and could have told him privately in stronger terms?
Otherwise, it's a bit of a strange move.
Old 17 Jun 2022, 08:37 (Ref:4116029)   #296
canaglia
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwood View Post
Yeah, Toyota have already said publically that a 3rd car is very unlikely, and could have told him privately in stronger terms?
Otherwise, it's a bit of a strange move.

yeah, I think the same, probably ogier ran in lmp2 to get better prepared for a toyota ride in 2023, once that possibility was dropped, ogier had basically no reason to stay still there.
Old 17 Jun 2022, 14:21 (Ref:4116091)   #297
peetleouf
Rookie

France
Drôme
peetleouf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know if you're right and how much of it is tongue-in-cheek, but that's not what he said at all.

Quote:
"I got stung, now I just want to come back."
Quote:
Even if it was announced differently, we were always clear with the team that I would only do Le Mans and the two previous races to prepare for it," he recalled. "I didn't want to do the whole championship. I had more of a desire to do other rallies this year, but adding five or six WEC races on top of that didn't fit in with my desire to get off my feet. So, there is a good chance that it will stop here. We'll discuss it with the team, but it's not planned.
https://fr.motorsport.com/lemans/new...enir/10321897/
Old 23 Jun 2022, 17:07 (Ref:4116734)   #298
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Chatin is a handy replacement for Ogier. Should be a quick car.

https://www.dailysportscar.com/2022/...ing-oreca.html
Old 8 Jul 2022, 13:23 (Ref:4118656)   #299
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
FP1 is about to start at Monza. Not sure what to expect with high air and track temps. The extra power for the Glick should help with top speeds, but i have to think the track will be pretty slick to start with.

Question is, will anybody be willing to show pace before the race for fear of bop adjustments?
Old 8 Jul 2022, 13:39 (Ref:4118660)   #300
kaivo
Racer

Estonia
kaivo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great idea by WEC. Lets make " live" payment system in french.