Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 Oct 2021, 21:58 (Ref:4080336)   #1
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Jacques Villeneuve's Tax Avoidance

Quote:
"...when he lived in Quebec in 2010, he declared just $6,431 in personal income — and claimed a tax credit for low-income families. The next two years, he declared $3,224 and $5,782 in income."

"Such tax tactics are not inherently illegal but they do deprive government coffers of huge amounts of revenue every year that could otherwise pay for schools, health care and social services... in 2012, Villeneuve made controversial comments about Quebec students protesting against tuition hikes, saying their demands weren't fiscally realistic. "Where does the government get the money? From taxes, from selling stuff.'"

It's no secret that the rich find ways to avoid taxes. And that JV is certainly not the only athlete to do so. But it really disheartens me, as Jacques is (was?) my favourite F1 pilot of all time.

His comments about young students struggling to better themselves really leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/jacques-vill...unts-1.6226467
Old 28 Oct 2021, 07:01 (Ref:4080367)   #2
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Interesting choice of words for the thread subject. At no point in the original article was there any suggestion of evasion (illegal) but several of avoidance (legal).
Old 28 Oct 2021, 07:34 (Ref:4080374)   #3
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Interesting choice of words for the thread subject. At no point in the original article was there any suggestion of evasion (illegal) but several of avoidance (legal).
Agreed, key words I read are:
  • major problems with how the law is written
  • Such tax tactics are not inherently illegal

Is it something that should be looked at? Maybe.
But should we focus on throwing criticism of the individuals operating within a tax system for their own benefit, or on those who create the system that allows it to happen legally?
Old 28 Oct 2021, 10:21 (Ref:4080399)   #4
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Arranging financial affairs to minimise tax may sometimes leave a sour taste but anyone with an ISA or personal pension is doing the same, if on a different scale.

Subseqently claiming a credit intended for low-income families does seem like a step too far though, to put it mildly. Even more so if someone then chooses to shoot their mouth off about other people’s behaviour.
Old 28 Oct 2021, 12:13 (Ref:4080411)   #5
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I suspect he still has a point about the students. This is a Motorsport forum, so it makes sense JV is the topic, but let’s hope the rest of the world doesn’t use this as an excuse to not consider the points being made there (I don’t know the topic).

But often things are conveniently ignored by turning them into something else.

Are people wondering what to do about the other highlighted topic, or can they simply do nothing and moan about one person?
Old 28 Oct 2021, 23:16 (Ref:4080496)   #6
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
Arranging financial affairs to minimise tax may sometimes leave a sour taste but anyone with an ISA or personal pension is doing the same, if on a different scale.

Subseqently claiming a credit intended for low-income families does seem like a step too far though, to put it mildly. Even more so if someone then chooses to shoot their mouth off about other people’s behaviour.
I could agree but also considered this.
What if JV went after the low income rebate to highlight an issue that he felt was inconsistent and needed attention, in much the same way that Alonso used the run off to legally go wide at Sochi and pass people while off the race track?

When people grizzle about what someone did is it to highlight a real problem?
Or:Condemn someone (even if they aren't aware of what's going on in the persons head).
Or: Simply calling out something about a person they really don't like?

The last is basically public shaming and that, in its intent, is really hate speech, and something we should all take exception too.
Old 29 Oct 2021, 08:11 (Ref:4080519)   #7
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
I could agree but also considered this.
What if JV went after the low income rebate to highlight an issue that he felt was inconsistent and needed attention?
I could buy that if he gave the money back afterwards - did he?
Old 29 Oct 2021, 14:47 (Ref:4080569)   #8
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
the big assumption is that JV had any real knowledge of what he was doing other then signing whatever his 'tax person' told him to sign. not trying to defend JV and as someone who studied in Quebec, i didnt appreciate his comments about the student protests at all.

although i may be willing to accept that entire BAR exercise was an attempt to funnel/siphon/hide money anyways...or at least collect some sort of insurance cheque for every time JV binned his car!

mind blowing that 20 years later this team is now Mercedes and the most successful team over that same 20 year period!
Old 29 Oct 2021, 16:01 (Ref:4080582)   #9
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ah, I think I might have misunderstood the student thing. I assumed he was highlighting a problem they had. I guess, from your comment, that might not be the case.
Old 29 Oct 2021, 17:18 (Ref:4080590)   #10
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
in fairness, my opinion is just a response to what i recall reading at the time and how i already felt about him at the time...i dont actually know if he said those things, meant those things, or was taken out of context.

but basically, i am salty on everything he has said and done since winning his title though. from his junior career, Indy, to his first 2 years at Williams i genuinely thought he was on track to be the greatest ever...then it went the complete other way!

there was a time when you couldn't mention his name on this forum without a full dust up ensuing...maybe this is still the case?

Alonso on the other hand was way way up in my books back in the day, then some bad energy and controversy, followed by humbling with bad cars, and now not quite a revival but enough effort being put forward that i love him again.

never got that arc with JV so maybe thats why im still salty?

should i start a thread about my JV feelings avoidance!
Old 29 Oct 2021, 17:34 (Ref:4080592)   #11
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I would advocate against starting any JV thread.....
Old 29 Oct 2021, 22:48 (Ref:4080625)   #12
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
inconsistent and needed attention, .
We talking about Canada's tax laws or JV's 2003 season?
Old 30 Oct 2021, 00:15 (Ref:4080631)   #13
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
Old 30 Oct 2021, 01:49 (Ref:4080643)   #14
2 litre Touring Car Star
Veteran

Australia
2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed
2003 would be more down to the FIA trying to artificially create some variable results. Drivers/teams trying out tactics without knowing what is the best bet. Therefore the bottom line that season doesn't really an accurate story.
Old 30 Oct 2021, 03:32 (Ref:4080651)   #15
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
Old 30 Oct 2021, 11:18 (Ref:4080681)   #16
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 litre Touring Car Star View Post
2003 would be more down to the FIA trying to artificially create some variable results. Drivers/teams trying out tactics without knowing what is the best bet. Therefore the bottom line that season doesn't really an accurate story.
Old 30 Oct 2021, 15:39 (Ref:4080697)   #17
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Yep.
Old 1 Nov 2021, 20:29 (Ref:4080996)   #18
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!

All this trouble didn't hinder him winning last weekend.
Old 1 Nov 2021, 21:44 (Ref:4081002)   #19
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
How many steps down the motorsport ladder is it from F1 to Euro Nascar?
Old 2 Nov 2021, 10:15 (Ref:4081083)   #20
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Measuring that drop in "steps" is like trying to measure the distance between the Earth and Moon in metres. It's possible, but you'd use more relevant units.
Old 2 Nov 2021, 19:01 (Ref:4081185)   #21
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Does it matter? Apparently he is enjoying it.
Old 2 Nov 2021, 19:46 (Ref:4081193)   #22
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
Does it matter? Apparently he is enjoying it.
I’m very happy for him.
Old 3 Nov 2021, 03:47 (Ref:4081231)   #23
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Enough that he has to claim a low income tax credit.
Old 4 Nov 2021, 10:38 (Ref:4081424)   #24
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
Enough that he has to claim a low income tax credit.
This is the issue for me. What he is doing is possibly legal (although the fact it is in court means that is being questioned), however claiming low income support whilst making lots of money, AND the comments on the students...well that's just unpleasant.
Old 4 Nov 2021, 12:00 (Ref:4081433)   #25
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
This is the issue for me. What he is doing is possibly legal (although the fact it is in court means that is being questioned), however claiming low income support whilst making lots of money, AND the comments on the students...well that's just unpleasant.
But isn't that Villeneuve in a nutshell?