Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 5 Apr 2022, 04:36 (Ref:4105354)   #1
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SVG is it time to go or too late.

Whats the thoughts on SVG and his skill and ability to adapt and drive multiple cars in different categories. Is it time he also followed the lead by others and travel overseas and test his skills against the best?

Where would he go?
What series would he race?

Im sure seeing how well Scotty Mc has driven he would be getting itchy feet to join a circus outside of Aus and NZ? Maybe Im wrong but I do wonder if his talents could be well served overseas whilst he is young-ish but at 32 his time is running out.

Would love to see it and surely its only a matter of time, maybe he is living his best life here now and just added the Trans Am Series drive to the mix along with the Rally Cars.

Thoughts?
Old 5 Apr 2022, 04:40 (Ref:4105355)   #2
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mr van Gisbergen is running a TransAm car to the end of the year...
Can we see a field lapped up to 2nd place?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 5 Apr 2022, 05:02 (Ref:4105356)   #3
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He’s so naturally gifted he can drive anything. Agree- he needs to go and test himself internationally on the world’s great circuits. Of course F1 is the first thing instincts point you to but realistically he’s bit old for that now imo to be starting out and it’s so political and hard to get into. On the talent front he is unquestionably of the highest order. Indycar absolutely for sure, NASCAR absolutely for sure, everything really. He and S Mac in Indy car would be amazing.
Old 5 Apr 2022, 05:57 (Ref:4105358)   #4
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Why would/should he change?

He has an employer that is willing to let him jump into seemingly any vehicle that he desires, racing wherever he would like. Anything else would be a step back in those terms.

He's off to Le Mans this year, that will be a test for him.
Old 5 Apr 2022, 06:22 (Ref:4105361)   #5
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He has already proven he is competitive OS.
Old 5 Apr 2022, 07:20 (Ref:4105370)   #6
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Mr van Gisbergen is running a TransAm car to the end of the year...
Can we see a field lapped up to 2nd place?
Yes I saw that, will be interesting viewing.
Old 5 Apr 2022, 07:21 (Ref:4105372)   #7
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattracer View Post
He’s so naturally gifted he can drive anything. Agree- he needs to go and test himself internationally on the world’s great circuits. Of course F1 is the first thing instincts point you to but realistically he’s bit old for that now imo to be starting out and it’s so political and hard to get into. On the talent front he is unquestionably of the highest order. Indycar absolutely for sure, NASCAR absolutely for sure, everything really. He and S Mac in Indy car would be amazing.
F1 as you said would be the Ultimate but age and I assume Height/Weight be against him.
Old 5 Apr 2022, 07:22 (Ref:4105373)   #8
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bludvl_x19 View Post
Why would/should he change?

He has an employer that is willing to let him jump into seemingly any vehicle that he desires, racing wherever he would like. Anything else would be a step back in those terms.

He's off to Le Mans this year, that will be a test for him.
Oh I agree, he has the world at his feet here and can do what he likes, Im just wondering if he should be trying his luck internationaly.

Just a topic for conversation.
Old 5 Apr 2022, 09:22 (Ref:4105378)   #9
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Love to see SVG head overseas and do well.

Formula1- age and not being born with a silver spoon in his mouth will eliminate that choice,

Indycar- probably a chance with the right introductions,

NASCAR- fit right in with the good old boys, rubbin is racing,

BTCC/ WTCC- along it has four wheels and a steering wheel it will be ok,

Sportscar- as above,

Rallying- as above,

Sprintcar/Speedcafe/midget- as above.

But then again SVG may just want to live in Aus/NZ and just race overseas when it suits or on his bucket list.
Old 5 Apr 2022, 11:08 (Ref:4105389)   #10
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In my opinion SVG doesn't need to move anywhere and I think he won't in the nearest future. I think he's happy racing in Supercars, living in Australia and is not particularly willing to move. He could be fast in everything and he shows it occasionally but I believe racing some events overseas in-between his Supercars rounds is what satisfies him. Maybe one day when he's done with Supercars full-time drive he'll race more in some international GT races but that's that. For some reason (although I might be wrong!) I can't see him departing Supercars anytime soon.
Old 5 Apr 2022, 23:41 (Ref:4105474)   #11
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After hearing he is joining the TA series I cant help but think the races will no longer be of interest.
P1 every race, daylight, the current frontrunners.

Instead of promoting the series by being part of it, he might ruin it.
Old 6 Apr 2022, 02:53 (Ref:4105480)   #12
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A positive view is that SVG would 'attract' other 'names' to the category.
Old 6 Apr 2022, 20:52 (Ref:4105592)   #13
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
He could aim for an LMHLMDH factory WEC drive. Has already proven he is as quickas anyone else in GTs cars?
Old 7 Apr 2022, 06:17 (Ref:4105610)   #14
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
He could aim for an LMHLMDH factory WEC drive. Has already proven he is as quickas anyone else in GTs cars?
This is my thought too.
Old 8 Apr 2022, 11:31 (Ref:4105805)   #15
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Another Bullet Drive today. Just another reason
Old 11 Apr 2022, 08:25 (Ref:4106250)   #16
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Be good to see him do a road course NASCAR race if there wasnt a clash with Supercars...
Old 11 Apr 2022, 13:32 (Ref:4106317)   #17
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomick View Post
Be good to see him do a road course NASCAR race if there wasnt a clash with Supercars...
Totally agree
Old 11 Apr 2022, 18:30 (Ref:4106365)   #18
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
A NASCAR road course race would be nice.
Old 11 Apr 2022, 21:49 (Ref:4106408)   #19
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And surely Red Bull could finance it.

Any of the big teams, Penske, Hendricks, JGR could do it...
Old 12 Apr 2022, 05:02 (Ref:4106435)   #20
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why not an oval? Allan Grice could do it in the States (not sure if Johnson and Richards did oval races in the States when they did NASCAR) and SVG is totally cut from the same cloth as any of them. He learns everything so quickly I think he’d be seriously competitive.
Old 12 Apr 2022, 05:29 (Ref:4106437)   #21
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Why not an oval? Allan Grice could do it in the States (not sure if Johnson and Richards did oval races in the States when they did NASCAR) and SVG is totally cut from the same cloth as any of them. He learns everything so quickly I think he’d be seriously competitive.
The handful of Aussies that have competed on ovals in one of the top three tiers of NASCAR are...

Frank Gardner
Allan Grice
Dick Johnson
Adam Clarke
Marcos Ambrose
Tony Spanos
Terry Byers
Geoff Brabham

A couple more Aussie's raced at oval Motegi in Japan, which I think was a Winston West Race.
Old 12 Apr 2022, 05:33 (Ref:4106439)   #22
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
While no-one could doubt SVG's skill behind the wheel, it has been a long time since a road course ringer has had any success in NASCAR.

(Before any one jumps in, AJ Allmendinger doesn't count)
Old 12 Apr 2022, 06:26 (Ref:4106446)   #23
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
It took Marcos Ambrose ages to become somewhat competitive on ovals (and he was never that competitive on ovals), are you sure it is that easy?

Dick Johnson did oval races, but that was a different era of course. It is less likely someone would go straight into the Cup series these days.
Old 12 Apr 2022, 06:42 (Ref:4106448)   #24
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Here's One Way To Stop SvG

Wonder if he was infectious at the weekend?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 12 Apr 2022, 12:08 (Ref:4106488)   #25
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Here's One Way To Stop SvG

Wonder if he was infectious at the weekend?
Super Spreader Event, 420,000 peope - opps