Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 8 May 2022, 07:20 (Ref:4109202)   #51
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
According to the man himself, he has some metal work on an unmentionable part of his anatomy. Would probably need a special tool to remove it!!
It's interesting how Hamilton's comments have been misrepresented:

Hamilton: "Well I’ve got certain piercings that I really just can’t take out, that not many people know of… Nah I’m kidding! [...]

I don't have any plans on removing them. I feel they are personal things. You should be able to be who you are. There's stuff that I can't move.

I literally can't take these out [pointing to piercings on his right ear]. They're literally welded on so I'd have to get them chopped off or something. So they'll be staying."
Old 8 May 2022, 07:40 (Ref:4109203)   #52
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Concrete wall - 50g impact - Ignore drivers safety concerns

Wearing a watch - THAT'S NOT SAFE!
Old 8 May 2022, 07:57 (Ref:4109204)   #53
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Having now seen a picture of Sebastian Vettel wearing his underpants a la Superman,I now think the marketing guys have missed a trick.They should have come up with a race suite that featured a triangle containing the letters S and V on the chest.

On a slightly more serious note,I would have thought that it was in everybody's interest for the drivers to respect the requirements of the FIA.They do tend to have droves of expert advisors on tap.Besides which,would any sane person sign a document indemnifying the organisers while they sought a personal exemption?This race is taking place in the land that gave the world ambulance chasing lawyers and any opportunity to launch a claim against a wealthy sports star could get expensive for said star,regardless of the eventual outcome.
Old 8 May 2022, 09:39 (Ref:4109208)   #54
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Great qualifying by Ferrari, looking tough to beat. Big mistake by Max on his lap. Bottas once again putting the Alfa amongst the big boys. Merc down the grid after looking strong in Free Practice. Big shock to see Russell not getting through Q2
Old 8 May 2022, 11:40 (Ref:4109214)   #55
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
I dislike it myself and am averse to it but I do recognize his argument as having some validity.
His metalwork is platinum and is therefore not a good conductor of heat so in a fire he is less likely to be suffering adverse reactions in the way that other metals would. Platinum is a good conductor of electrical energy.
Another thing I note, aside from Hamilton's words being misrepresented, is that very little is mentioned of the position of other drivers.
  • Pierre Gasly said that, as a religious man, he would be uncomfortable not taking some of the religious artefacts he wears into the car with him.
  • Fernando Alonso wears a bracelet that is exempt from the regulation.
  • Wedding rings are exempt from the regulation.
Old 8 May 2022, 11:46 (Ref:4109215)   #56
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Another thing I note, aside from Hamilton's words being misrepresented, is that very little is mentioned of the position of other drivers.
  • Pierre Gasly said that, as a religious man, he would be uncomfortable not taking some of the religious artefacts he wears into the car with him.
  • Fernando Alonso wears a bracelet that is exempt from the regulation.
  • Wedding rings are exempt from the regulation.
Yep, it's just a storm in a nose stud......
Old 8 May 2022, 12:10 (Ref:4109217)   #57
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post

Absolutely agree with this. Formula 1 makes so many strides to improve safety and has done throughout its existence, but then these street tracks like Jeddah and Miami are completed as quickly as possible in order to extract more money out of the race and are unnecessarily unsafe as a result. The concrete wall in question could easily have been replaced with TecPro one, as many drivers have called for.

In my opinion there should be a rule saying that a track must be finished and signed off a certain amount of time (perhaps a month) before it can host a Formula 1 race, and not the day before as Jeddah was last year. Both Jeddah and Miami just appear to be a bit of a rush job, although I do think Miami seems considerably less bad (concrete walls aside). Would it really have been so bad if the first Miami GP had taken place in 2023 instead of 2022? Hopefully Las Vegas will be complete and passed all the safety tests months before the first race there next year.
Old 8 May 2022, 12:18 (Ref:4109218)   #58
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I don’t see why they couldn’t have put Techpro barriers in. It would have been so much easier and safer. Trying to cut corners there
Old 8 May 2022, 12:42 (Ref:4109220)   #59
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by P38 in workshop View Post
This race is taking place in the land that gave the world ambulance chasing lawyers and any opportunity to launch a claim against a wealthy sports star could get expensive for said star,regardless of the eventual outcome.
With respect, their land also has a lot of motor sports. Like a lot more then any other place the circus visits.

Never heard someone being sued for wearing their wedding ring racing or a necklace with a personal, religious, or cultural affectation on it.
Old 8 May 2022, 12:44 (Ref:4109221)   #60
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

Right! Completely agree.

You know what else they have in America?

Hollywood!

So it’s only fitting that F1 came here to lose the plot!

In an attempt to get past this though and enjoy the race…remember when they stuck a diamond jewel on the front of one of the RBs and lost it during practice. That was really quite funny!

https://www.gq.com.au/fitness/sport/...cf837bb3c5?amp

Last edited by chillibowl; 8 May 2022 at 12:50.
Old 8 May 2022, 12:58 (Ref:4109223)   #61
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Another street track, another dangerous layout, another small mistake resulting in a 50g impact. Drivers concerns ignored.

Is it just me, or are we going backwards very quickly in terms of track safety.
Need content for Netflix/social media though
Old 8 May 2022, 13:12 (Ref:4109224)   #62
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
Need content for Netflix/social media though
Right!

Fan engagement through enragement at its best.

Sad part is that this sort of stuff massively undermines the serious safety discussions that need to take place between the officials and the drivers/teams.
Old 8 May 2022, 14:38 (Ref:4109228)   #63
AnnoyedMoose
Racer

AnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is it me or is every story coming out of Miami this weekend drivers moaning about something?
Old 8 May 2022, 15:01 (Ref:4109230)   #64
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

I am of two minds on this. The first is inline with the quote above. That in the grand scheme of things, the jewelry topic is out of proportion. Imagine if there was a regulation that required the drivers to have at least one hand on a rail at all times as they climb to the podium. Or maybe they need to harness up and clamp on to prevent them from falling off the podium. Can an argument be made for "safety"? Absolutely Might it be a ridiculous rule? Absolutely.

However my other thoughts is that. Yes, I can imagine a level of jewelry or other personal items that when taken to an extreme would be over the top and should not be allowed. Maybe it is my personal choice (and the fashion statement I choose to push forward) to wrap myself head to toe in a large amount of razor wire outside of my drivers suit. That might pose a challenge for the medical team trying to extricate me from a crash if I am unconscious and need help.

My point is there needs to be a line (rule) somewhere. It needs to be based in science and have a reasonable risk vs. reward analysis. And I expect most everyone would agree that the line that has been drawn is overly cautious, unreasonable and should be moved. So they need to look again at how they regulate the jewelry. The proper undergarments rule seems reasonable to me.

Richard

Last edited by Richard C; 8 May 2022 at 15:06.
Old 8 May 2022, 16:02 (Ref:4109232)   #65
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
It's interesting to read the various arguments on here.

I regularly see posts that bemoan the run-offs of current circuits. How they've become sterile and dull, with no real risk or jeopardy.
Then we see the issue of track limits being brought up, and how proper track barriers would solve this.
Monaco, Albert Park and Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve are regularly put forward as examples of good circuits, because if drivers make a mistake they are punished.

But when it is a new circuit (Jeddah or Miami) that has these features, it's a poor circuit design that is too dangerous for F1?
Old 8 May 2022, 17:47 (Ref:4109245)   #66
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Remarkable how little comment on this thread is actually about the on-track action

It certainly seems a slightly tricky track for drivers to adapt to, and to have little margin for error at times, but I rather like to see a driver actually testing the limits. I agree that the need for TecPro should have been listened to
Old 8 May 2022, 19:11 (Ref:4109249)   #67
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Old man grand prix.... that's what they should call that bit between Mario, Emerson, and Jonny.
Alex, you will be on the hook if any of them do any damage to that car at CODA, but I think they can handle it.
Old 8 May 2022, 19:13 (Ref:4109250)   #68
Ferrari333SP
Veteran

United States
Minnesota
Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!
Grid walk looks like an absolute zoo
Old 8 May 2022, 19:22 (Ref:4109251)   #69
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Both Aston Martins starting from the pitlane.
Old 8 May 2022, 19:35 (Ref:4109253)   #70
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Clean start, with Super Max moving up to 2nd. Hamilton drops back.
Old 8 May 2022, 19:47 (Ref:4109257)   #71
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Super Max takes the lead, Leclerc just let him through.
Old 8 May 2022, 20:04 (Ref:4109260)   #72
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Pleasantly surprised by the on-track action so far.
Old 8 May 2022, 20:16 (Ref:4109263)   #73
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyfan View Post
Pleasantly surprised by the on-track action so far.

I thought it was a bit processional.
Old 8 May 2022, 20:38 (Ref:4109265)   #74
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Norris clipped Gasly, just missing the wall and brings out the first caution.
Old 8 May 2022, 20:41 (Ref:4109266)   #75
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Safety car?

Why? That crane is just 5 meters away.
Need to spice up the show because nothing is happening?

This track (or its surface) is useless IMO.