Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 10 Aug 2004, 01:53 (Ref:1061643)   #1
cg7aa
Veteran

cg7aa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OT: A bit of advice needed - setting up a race team

Hello all,

I’ve been harbouring dreams of setting up a small race team along with my brother for years now. Something tiny to start with, the ideal starting point (unless someone can suggest a better route) might be taking part in some regional UK motorsport series (any suggestions?)and ultimately moving on into junior formulae single seaters or sportscars. The ultimate for me would be running a team at LM!

I’ve recently graduated and finding it hard going finding an aerospace job so I figured perhaps I should exploit this avenue since I will be unemployed sometime at least and have plenty of time on my hands.

As I am completely new to this thing, I need some help, where on earth do I start? Do I need a business plan (lets face it the ‘sport’ these days needs to be run like one) of some sort to present to potential sponsors? Who should I be targeting in terms of sponsorship? The questions are endless so feel free to contribute any ideas you might think is worth pursuing. At this stage I’m only looking at how feasible the whole thing is. Thanks

Regards
George
Old 10 Aug 2004, 06:09 (Ref:1061749)   #2
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
well . i'm a few years from graduation . but that's a similar dream to mine .. so any good ideeas are more then welcome

Ciao Marco
Old 10 Aug 2004, 06:38 (Ref:1061768)   #3
marcush.
Racer

Equatorial Guinea
Bad Ems /Germany
marcush. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
to make a living out of racing is a tough task indeed,especially if you dare to set up a team.
Getting sponsorship ?forget that.what you need is a guy with funding
and car in desperate need to get to the sharp end of the grid/results.
And you have to win his total confidence in your ability to take him to the top.This could be the start of a very successful Sportscar Team winning at LM someday...if you are successfull from the word go,
and the alsoran turns to a winner.
look around at race meetings to the lower end of the grid ,don´t look for happy faces..the guy has to be desperate ...good luck!And forget about the rest of your life....
Old 10 Aug 2004, 06:58 (Ref:1061792)   #4
Chevyguy
Racer

Chevyguy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Get a good looking masseus like Dyson's got.

"No matter where you go, there you are"-Pigkiller
Old 10 Aug 2004, 07:10 (Ref:1061807)   #5
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by marcush.
.....don´t look for happy faces..the guy has to be desperate ...

But Perry's semi-retired, isn't he?
Old 10 Aug 2004, 07:43 (Ref:1061835)   #6
kickstart
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cheshire
kickstart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why not try and get a job with a race team first as there is a lot more than perhaps you realise to running a succesful team.
Old 10 Aug 2004, 07:59 (Ref:1061848)   #7
marcush.
Racer

Equatorial Guinea
Bad Ems /Germany
marcush. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
honestly you´d learn more and quicker getting in at the deep end and doing it all yourself in the lower ranks and move up as you learn and
aim for stiffer opposition.
Within a raceteam ,normally time off is sort of non existant and so one tends to get a very focused view on his tasks.
Old 10 Aug 2004, 15:48 (Ref:1062289)   #8
archibold
Racer

United Kingdom
London
archibold should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Definitely get some experience before you start, as you may find it is not what you think it is when you are changing a gearbox that someone has driven 300 miles to fetch at 2 in the morning....

A lot of teams at a club/national level use people for weekends to supplement the full time staff. Maybe a way to get started ? Remember for smaller teams a lot of the work is seasonal...

Archibold
Old 12 Aug 2004, 00:48 (Ref:1063478)   #9
cg7aa
Veteran

cg7aa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Chevyguy
Get a good looking masseus like Dyson's got.
Not with this mug

Anyway, thanks for all the replies - the serious and not so serious ones! I think the consensus is that I get a bit of experience first. Methinks I will be heading to Castle Combe to sniff around the GT teams and probe away sometime in the future.