Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 17 Jun 2005, 01:58 (Ref:1331212)   #1
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
NEWS FLASH!! or RUmor?! I think not

I have heard from a source within Cosworth in CAlifornia, that they will be the ones supplying the new Formula atlantic
Toyota is OUT!!
it will now be a Ford duratec 2.3 or 2.2 litre 4 banger power, from Cosworth

wow

and to further the new TRD sources have confirmed
as well that Toyota is going to pull out of all US open wheel racing
no CC hopes or IRL for that matter.

everything is going to nascar-daytona prototypes, and (crate engine program for Sprints and Modifieds?! those are open wheel.!)

this is a stunner really, no atlantics and no open wheel...
Old 17 Jun 2005, 03:17 (Ref:1331231)   #2
flyingduck
Veteran

flyingduck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
EDIT:
Sorry, flyingduck. But we're here to discuss Atlantics and ChampCars...

Last edited by macdaddy; 17 Jun 2005 at 06:16.
Old 17 Jun 2005, 10:43 (Ref:1331401)   #3
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Cosworth taking over Atlantics is no real surprise considering KK's ownership of them. Toyota leaving Atlatnics is something I hadn't really thought baout, but I guess it does make sense for them to concentrate entirely on NASCARs (the stock engiens will be a profit-making business in their won right evne before promotional benefits are factored in).
Old 17 Jun 2005, 12:25 (Ref:1331467)   #4
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
I think that OWRS wanted new, more-powerful engine specs for the Atlantics in the near future. Obviously Toyota did not want to invest the money needed for R&D.
Old 17 Jun 2005, 13:38 (Ref:1331534)   #5
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I heard that Cossies were going to power the Atlantic series a while ago, can't remember source. I think it comes down to what Macdaddy said in regards to the power output. Too bad to see Toyota leaving, but i like the idea of more power in the Atlantic series.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 17 Jun 2005, 16:19 (Ref:1331678)   #6
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
but toyota leaving the open wheel-in all North America...
these guys really were good competition when they wanted too.
but no worries about them driving up the price of cometition.
now how much more power will the Ford Atlantics make?
and will this usher in a new era of Formula Ford as THE feeder series for the top
Old 17 Jun 2005, 17:35 (Ref:1331713)   #7
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm not surprised by this. We discussed it before and it seems like Toyota's interests don't really coincide with Atlantics/CC.

Presumably this means Ford might sponsor Atlantics? I'm kind of surprised that Cosworth would use the 2.3L engine instead of say the 3.0L engine. It would probably be cheaper and less complicated to get big power out of it. The ultimate for me would be if Ford decided to have Cosworth develop a rotary for Atlantics and have the Mazda brand as the presenting sponsor. I realize the conflict that might create...

gttouring: Have you heard from TRD people that Toyota is definately out of US OW? It sounded like there was some possibilty they would stay. If they were to stay in other US OW, then Atlantics might make some sense...
Old 17 Jun 2005, 17:57 (Ref:1331722)   #8
Ac.
Racer

Canada
Waterloo, Ont.
Ac. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As the powerplants are going to be Cosworth, they could be badged with any Manfacturers logo. Although Ford may make sense, I'd agree with Snrub that we may likely see a different brand with which Ford has a relationship.

What about chassis'? Has anyone heard where the Atlantic series is headed for 2006, or will their new package be announced for 2007(same as CC)?
Old 17 Jun 2005, 19:08 (Ref:1331764)   #9
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
I had heard some time ago that the cars would be Dallara's (Imported by Haas) similar to F3 cars, with the Cosworth engines... this was a couple of weeks before the ALMS Mid-Ohio race...

Of course, Atlantics originally ran with Cosworth BDA 1600ccs. They were plenty quick. They certainly could accelerate to 100mph as quick as the F1 cars of the day.
Old 17 Jun 2005, 20:31 (Ref:1331843)   #10
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ford North America's 4 Cyl Duratec's are really just rebadged Mazda MZR engines. Be interesting to see what they choose to run them as, and if they use the 2.0 or 2.3
Old 17 Jun 2005, 21:09 (Ref:1331868)   #11
esorniloc
Veteran

esorniloc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would the name return to Formula Atlantic?
Old 17 Jun 2005, 21:14 (Ref:1331871)   #12
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by esorniloc
Would the name return to Formula Atlantic?

Maybe "Champ Car Light"

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 17 Jun 2005, 21:54 (Ref:1331883)   #13
mmciau
Veteran

Australia
South Australia
mmciau should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snrub
I'm not surprised by this. We discussed it before and it seems like Toyota's interests don't really coincide with Atlantics/CC.

Presumably this means Ford might sponsor Atlantics? I'm kind of surprised that Cosworth would use the 2.3L engine instead of say the 3.0L engine. It would probably be cheaper and less complicated to get big power out of it. The ultimate for me would be if Ford decided to have Cosworth develop a rotary for Atlantics and have the Mazda brand as the presenting sponsor. I realize the conflict that might create...

gttouring: Have you heard from TRD people that Toyota is definately out of US OW? It sounded like there was some possibilty they would stay. If they were to stay in other US OW, then Atlantics might make some sense...

Is this the same engine that is used as an engine in the speedcars on dirt speedways (methanol)?

Mike
Old 17 Jun 2005, 22:01 (Ref:1331885)   #14
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It was announced recently that Champcar is negotiating with Toyota for 2006 and beyond about atlantic, so we'll see what happens with that. We know that the current engine that is used is a long out of production Toyota engine and that Toyota wants something out of it's current range to be used. Also it's getting a bit late in the year for brand new cars and engines for next year, so I would suspect the current format will continue into next year.
Old 18 Jun 2005, 02:59 (Ref:1331961)   #15
Ac.
Racer

Canada
Waterloo, Ont.
Ac. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar
It was announced recently that Champcar is negotiating with Toyota for 2006 and beyond about atlantic, so we'll see what happens with that. We know that the current engine that is used is a long out of production Toyota engine and that Toyota wants something out of it's current range to be used. Also it's getting a bit late in the year for brand new cars and engines for next year, so I would suspect the current format will continue into next year.
I hope you are right mountainstar. Atlantics seem to be gaining some momentum right now after a couple of lean years. It would be great to see some of the new teams be able to utilize their investment for another season before changing to an all new package.
Old 18 Jun 2005, 07:53 (Ref:1332007)   #16
FCYTravis
Racer

United States
Bloomington, Indiana
FCYTravis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fogelhund, have you forgotten which major chassis manufacturer Carl Haas is the American exclusive importer for?

I'll give you a hint: It starts with an L.

The day Haas imports a Dallara is the day a DP starts an ALMS race.