Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > WTCC & European Touring Car Series


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Sep 2018, 21:04 (Ref:3851147)   #151
btccbloke
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Wales
Posts: 502
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
He said that he probably could have gotten past Tom and try for a win but wanted to be respectful of their title fight. Also a very classy apology to Matt Neal on Twitter, so props to Rob.
didnt seem to try too hard, if a win is there a driver should go for it IMHO
btccbloke is offline  
Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:50 (Ref:3851206)   #152
Racer65
Racer
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 118
Racer65 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by btccbloke View Post
didnt seem to try too hard, if a win is there a driver should go for it IMHO
Can you imagine the backlash if he had taken him out from Gow and from the fans?

This stage of the season it's not about going for every gap. There are bigger picture things to consider if you want to be on the grid next year.
Racer65 is offline  
Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:50 (Ref:3851217)   #153
btccbloke
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Wales
Posts: 502
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
people criticise the likes of Andrew Jordan in 2015 for moving over and letting Shedden past on his way to the title, Austin letting the title contenders stay at the front unchallenged when he "claims" to have been able to overtake is no different.
If your going to win a championship you should expect a bit of a fight for it
btccbloke is offline  
Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:07 (Ref:3851226)   #154
Racer65
Racer
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 118
Racer65 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by btccbloke View Post
people criticise the likes of Andrew Jordan in 2015 for moving over and letting Shedden past on his way to the title, Austin letting the title contenders stay at the front unchallenged when he "claims" to have been able to overtake is no different.
If your going to win a championship you should expect a bit of a fight for it
Problem is they are told explicitly in the drivers briefing at this time of the season not to get involved with the championship contenders.

It's not a direction that I agree with as it should be the same all season but the instructions are there.
Racer65 is offline  
Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:30 (Ref:3851230)   #155
crmalcolm
Veteran
 
crmalcolm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Italy
Posts: 2,917
crmalcolm is going for a new lap record!crmalcolm is going for a new lap record!crmalcolm is going for a new lap record!crmalcolm is going for a new lap record!crmalcolm is going for a new lap record!crmalcolm is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
He said that he probably could have gotten past Tom and try for a win but wanted to be respectful of their title fight.
In some R3 reports, the term 'eventually' is used to describe Turkington's overtake of Austin on Lap 21.

If you are not going to attempt a pass because of title challenges, you shouldn't hold someone up either....
crmalcolm is offline  
Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:52 (Ref:3851231)   #156
Rob877
Racer
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 144
Rob877 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think people are probably reading a bit too much in to Rob Austin's comments. I think it's quite easy to for him to say 'I just wanted to sit there and not affect the title players' than 'I didn't have the pace to challenge them'. Rob is pretty good at this pr game.
Rob877 is offline  
Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:46 (Ref:3851248)   #157
btccbloke
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Wales
Posts: 502
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer65 View Post
Problem is they are told explicitly in the drivers briefing at this time of the season not to get involved with the championship contenders.

It's not a direction that I agree with as it should be the same all season but the instructions are there.
That doesn't mean jump out of their way or don't try too hard just so they can finish 1-2.
Where is the championship challenge if they aren't working for every place.
I agree don't get into unnecessary things like deliberately holding a driver up, or take one of them off with a stupid move but for god sake try!

The drivers all have sponsors to impress and teams who like Alfa-HMS have nothing from the season and you don't try then it's not right.

Ingram could win all 3races at Brands but if these so called racers just let Turks through to second each time so they can stay out the way, is that a fair way for him to take the title?
btccbloke is offline  
Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:58 (Ref:3851252)   #158
VIVA GT
Subscriber
Veteran
 
VIVA GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
England
Leicestershire
Posts: 3,424
VIVA GT has a real shot at the championship!VIVA GT has a real shot at the championship!VIVA GT has a real shot at the championship!VIVA GT has a real shot at the championship!VIVA GT has a real shot at the championship!VIVA GT has a real shot at the championship!
He was probably happier to settle for a guaranteed 2nd place than risk a DNF (and the embarrassment of taking a championship contender out in the process), by trying to win.
VIVA GT is offline  
__________________
Incognito: An Italian phrase meaning Nice Gearchange!
Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:25 (Ref:3851259)   #159
btccbloke
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Wales
Posts: 502
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
He was probably happier to settle for a guaranteed 2nd place than risk a DNF (and the embarrassment of taking a championship contender out in the process), by trying to win.
Well he ended up 5th.
btccbloke is offline  
Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:28 (Ref:3851261)   #160
VIVA GT
Subscriber
Veteran
 
VIVA GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
England
Leicestershire
Posts: 3,424
VIVA GT has a real shot at the championship!VIVA GT has a real shot at the championship!VIVA GT has a real shot at the championship!VIVA GT has a real shot at the championship!VIVA GT has a real shot at the championship!VIVA GT has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by btccbloke View Post
Well he ended up 5th.
OK, my bad, but I still think he didn't want to take the risk...
VIVA GT is offline  
__________________
Incognito: An Italian phrase meaning Nice Gearchange!
Quote
Old Yesterday, 19:28 (Ref:3851320)   #161
Racer65
Racer
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 118
Racer65 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by btccbloke View Post
That doesn't mean jump out of their way or don't try too hard just so they can finish 1-2.
Where is the championship challenge if they aren't working for every place.
I agree don't get into unnecessary things like deliberately holding a driver up, or take one of them off with a stupid move but for god sake try!

The drivers all have sponsors to impress and teams who like Alfa-HMS have nothing from the season and you don't try then it's not right.

Ingram could win all 3races at Brands but if these so called racers just let Turks through to second each time so they can stay out the way, is that a fair way for him to take the title?
Never said it did mean they had to jump out of the way but, with the cars as close as they are these days, there's almost no way to overtake without the risk of collision unless the car in front makes a mistake. Especially on a track like the Silverstone National circuit.

I'd say the Alfa sponsors would have been less impressed with Austin taking out Turkington compared to finishing in the top 5 with a lot of screen time.

Totally agree that it's not a fair way to win the title but it's the position the management have taken for a few seasons now. Don't fight with the title contenders. Bonkers in my view as how many times have we seen someone taken out in a move by a journeyman earlier in the season? Every race should be the same.
Racer65 is offline  
Quote
Old Yesterday, 19:52 (Ref:3851325)   #162
porsche962fan
Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,228
porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer65 View Post
. Don't fight with the title contenders.
with the notable exception of a title contender team mate....


Turks has Collard and now probably Jordan who is out of title picture



Tingram has nobody


the 2nd unwritten exception is if one of the title contender is a real douchebag who most of the paddock dislikes to say the least
porsche962fan is offline  
Quote
Old Yesterday, 22:06 (Ref:3851341)   #163
btccbloke
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Wales
Posts: 502
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Last year Turkington lost out after a tap from Jackson coming back on the circuit
Unfortunately that's racing.

As for Rob Austin, I'll resort to the late great Ayrton Senna's quote of "if you no longer go for a gap that exists, your no longer a racing driver"
btccbloke is offline  
Quote
Reply

Bookmarks




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[BTCC] BTCC 2018 - Rounds 16, 17, 18 - Snetterton Evantra WTCC & European Touring Car Series 258 11 Aug 2018 14:28
[BTCC] BTCC 2018 - Rounds 13, 14, 15 - Croft porsche962fan WTCC & European Touring Car Series 146 29 Jun 2018 12:33
[BTCC] BTCC 2018 - Rounds 10, 11, 12 - Oulton Park luckn002 WTCC & European Touring Car Series 143 13 Jun 2018 08:43
[BTCC] BTCC 2018 - Rounds 4, 5, 6 - Donington Park luckn002 WTCC & European Touring Car Series 113 5 May 2018 14:37
[BTCC] BTCC 2018 - Rounds 1, 2, 3 - Brands Hatch Indy luckn002 WTCC & European Touring Car Series 273 17 Apr 2018 23:12


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 01:07.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Original Website Copyright © 1998-2003 Craig Antil. All Rights Reserved.
Ten-Tenths Motorsport Forums Copyright © 2004-2018 Royalridge Computing. All Rights Reserved.