Home  
Site Partners: Veloce Books OldRacingCars.com  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > The Chassis History Archive

Old 18 Sep 2018, 01:34 (Ref:3851173)   #1
matherto
Rookie

United Kingdom
St. Helens
matherto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lotus 107 and 109

Does anyone know where these cars ended up and how many were made of each?

I know Barber Museum in America has one, though whether it's a 107C or a 109 I'm not sure, the livery suggests 107C. I tried emailing the head of their collection but didn't receive any email back. I suspect they dismissed the little spreadsheet I keep for 89-99 cars as a school project (I'm 28 but that's beyond the point) or similar so it's not a surprise I didn't receive a response.

One of each were featured in the Snetterton Lotus festival in 2010 alongside a 109 being featured at GFOS that year too (perhaps the asme one). The Snetterton Lotus festival was organised or at least supported by Classic Team Lotus providing the cars but I can't seem to contact them to find out anything.

I know given the dire financial situation of Lotus back in 1994 that a) The 109 was late and b) they can't have made many if at all. Was Herbert's Monza car a new chassis as well as new engine or was it just the engine that made the difference in qualifying? They had a spare that he used at the restart so that makes three 109's at best perhaps?

The car that Diniz wrote off was a 107 (107-1 if memory serves correctly) and was put back together as a show car and has been seen occasionally in the last decade.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...hNeExFRmxCZ0FR

This one might be it, it looks like a 107 rather than a 109 to me. According to my notes a man from Portsmouth owns it but beyond that I guess privacy takes precedence.

109-1 was sold by Bonhams way back in 2002 and I think someone on here knew the owner of one or a few Lotus cars back in the day because old threads suggest they were displayed at Donington way back when (not entirely sure when) before the collection shrunk.

I don't know when this listing was put up originally so had to use the Internet Archive to pull the ad:

https://web.archive.org/web/20160808...80/car/C729509

Shows a 107(B allegedly) dressed up in 1994 livery. I have it down as 107-2 but I'm not sure where that came from as I haven't got a link in my notes.

Part of me wouldn't be surprised if any had ended up in Japan as I believe most of the sponsors (the cars were plastered in them but clearly weren't big deals given they went under) seemed to be Japanese companies.

This thread seems to have some information about an auction that happened ages ago selling off cars and all sorts.

One of the posts reads:

Quote:
Barber museum apparently has:

102B-1

102B-2

109-1

109-2
But I see no evidence of two 109's. There is definitely a 102B and a 102D parked next to the 107C/109.

Beyond that, another comment says:

Quote:
A Belgium collector has a 109,107C, 107B plus a 102D, and a large garage . An Irish collector had 107C chassis 03 for sale back in 2008 , i understand it was sold with the new owner restoring to running condition ?, , I have 107C chassis 01, Pedro Lamys crash car here in the UK .

I think all the cars have original wings,Gearbox , suspension etc but wheel uprights where in short supply due to crashes and no Engines as both Cosworth and Honda took them back .

After the Brighton Auction I did contact David Hunts Office about the works drawings which they had, but wouldnt sell copys ,
The Belgian collector I suspect might actually be Dutch and be Fritz van Eerd as he's reputed to have 70 or so F1 cars but because his collection is so private there's no way of knowing unless anyone has been in to see it. Maybe it is actually a Belgian collector.

Any help would be appreciated thanks.

Not looking to out owners that want to keep things private, completely understand that and I am in no position to attempt to buy a car from one of them if they were looking to sell at any point, I'm just an intrigued 90's child that loved watching F1 as a kid and is interested in where the cars I grew up watching ended up.

Last edited by matherto; 18 Sep 2018 at 01:46.
Old 18 Sep 2018, 19:42 (Ref:3851322)   #2
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Barber museum does have two 109s and a Belgian has one.
Last time I heard Frits didn't have any Lotus in his huge collection.

Peter
p.s. PM sent.
Old 18 Sep 2018, 20:45 (Ref:3851334)   #3
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The man that knows most of the answers is not available here thanks to management and you will not get any more info here from him.
Old 18 Sep 2018, 22:58 (Ref:3851349)   #4
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundersports View Post
The man that knows most of the answers is not available here thanks to management and you will not get any more info here from him.
That's true!

A few years ago when I looked into these Paul Greasley was trying to make sense of them and was doing pretty well.