Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 Feb 2018, 19:30 (Ref:3804385)   #1
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
F1 TV Subscription Service

so looks like their over the top (OTT) service is happening and happening soon (early 2018 according to this).

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/h...n-service.html

-all sessions and races with no commercials (i assume full replays/on demand is also available)
-20 on board feeds
-looks like two options, F1 TV Pro and F1 TV Access..PRO is the one with all the goodies
-alludes to other unique feeds for the PRO version but not sure if thats in addition to on boards
-multiple languages for commentary
-access to F2, GP3 and other support catagories
-suggested price of USD$8-$12 per month

a few markets are listed but the list in not complete.

ability to watch on computer, mobile, apps, stream to TV using apple/android/amazon...im assuming if you have the PRO tier and can watch on multiple devices at the same time then perhaps one could split the subscription with a friend.

no mention of access to older races/archives but its still early days.

no doubt many will say how stupid this all this but personally i think this is great and cant wait to sign up...just hope its available in Canada!
Old 27 Feb 2018, 19:41 (Ref:3804389)   #2
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I assumed it was coming but Liberty often makes it too little too late but it seems like they are in strike while the iron is hot mode and hit the preseason excitement to get people interested. Interesting that it will be offered in the US as retentive as ESPN has been in the past about allowing simultaneous coverage of their events. Might be interested enough to try it out and see how well it runs, but OD will be mandatory for me to consider it.
Old 27 Feb 2018, 21:43 (Ref:3804408)   #3
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
anyone else from the uk planning how to circumvent the geolocation issues in preparation for the introduction of this?
Old 28 Feb 2018, 00:14 (Ref:3804431)   #4
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Sounds potential promising. Quality of the experience is key to success. On demand will be key to me as I rarely watch races live anymore. I also want the full experience on demand (meaning ability to view feeds from various cars, etc.)

Richard
Old 28 Feb 2018, 10:59 (Ref:3804523)   #5
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Whilst I still need to get my head around paying to watch something that I have seen free for my entire life, the price point looks reasonable for what sounds like a very comprehensive service. Not going to be available in the UK until the Sky deal ends though.

If there are good quality and free to air extended highlights shown later the same day, I would probably stick with that though.
Old 28 Feb 2018, 11:02 (Ref:3804525)   #6
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Well it seems they are getting into an area Bernie had no interest in. Hope it all goes well for them
Old 28 Feb 2018, 11:04 (Ref:3804526)   #7
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Much more reasonable than a SkyTV subscription. Still more expensive than, for example, WEC, but not a million miles off. I would consider this if it was available in the UK.
Old 28 Feb 2018, 11:21 (Ref:3804533)   #8
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Might be a cheaper option than paying for Sky, if that's what viewers want.
Old 28 Feb 2018, 17:11 (Ref:3804627)   #9
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
I assumed it was coming but Liberty often makes it too little too late but it seems like they are in strike while the iron is hot mode and hit the preseason excitement to get people interested. Interesting that it will be offered in the US as retentive as ESPN has been in the past about allowing simultaneous coverage of their events. Might be interested enough to try it out and see how well it runs, but OD will be mandatory for me to consider it.
as ESPN will be using the SKY feed maybe ESPN doesn't care as much because its not original programming from their point of view.

hope the exclusive Canadian broadcaster (who also use the SKY feed) will be as generous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
anyone else from the uk planning how to circumvent the geolocation issues in preparation for the introduction of this?
if one already has a VPN then i would think there are any number of markets they could connect to an watch for free anyways.

off topic, but ISPs here are apparently starting to crack down and throttling internet access via VPN services. i suspect similar things are going on in other markets as well...its getting harder and harder to do that dance unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Sounds potential promising. Quality of the experience is key to success. On demand will be key to me as I rarely watch races live anymore. I also want the full experience on demand (meaning ability to view feeds from various cars, etc.)

Richard
good question...i would imagine that the full experience/on boards/live timing should all be available on demand and properly synced for later viewing but you never know.

does seem a bit rushed though...reading on some other sites that the ability to push to TV via apple tv/amazon/android will not be available at launch and no mention for apps for xbox or ps4.

of course on can always cast from their computer/web browser to their TV but with that there is typically a problem with resolution and frame rates. being able to watch on the tv is why i bought the tv in the first place.

also no subscription page up yet as far as i can tell. seems like that is something that should have launched the day the announcement was made.

Last edited by chillibowl; 28 Feb 2018 at 17:17.
Old 28 Feb 2018, 17:21 (Ref:3804630)   #10
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
pole2pole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If this new F1 service became available in the UK, I bet it will only be available via the Sky platform.
Old 28 Feb 2018, 18:28 (Ref:3804641)   #11
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
sky are why it won't be available in the uk until their current contract expires... any ideas when that is?
Old 28 Feb 2018, 19:23 (Ref:3804667)   #12
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
as ESPN will be using the SKY feed maybe ESPN doesn't care as much because its not original programming from their point of view.

hope the exclusive Canadian broadcaster (who also use the SKY feed) will be as generous.

if one already has a VPN then i would think there are any number of markets they could connect to an watch for free anyways.

off topic, but ISPs here are apparently starting to crack down and throttling internet access via VPN services. i suspect similar things are going on in other markets as well...its getting harder and harder to do that dance unfortunately.

good question...i would imagine that the full experience/on boards/live timing should all be available on demand and properly synced for later viewing but you never know.

does seem a bit rushed though...reading on some other sites that the ability to push to TV via apple tv/amazon/android will not be available at launch and no mention for apps for xbox or ps4.

of course on can always cast from their computer/web browser to their TV but with that there is typically a problem with resolution and frame rates. being able to watch on the tv is why i bought the tv in the first place.

also no subscription page up yet as far as i can tell. seems like that is something that should have launched the day the announcement was made.
Quote:
sky are why it won't be available in the uk until their current contract expires... any ideas when that is?
ESPN has always been protective even of things they didn't produce themselves. If it aired on their network they wanted exclusive access, think that stance has bit them on the ass here lately. MLB coverage doubled in cost, NBA 5 fold increase, NFL was huge cost as in with a B, and for 2 of those they tried suing to block even more games from the streaming coverage. They lost the MLB restrictions suit, no idea about the NBA coverage limitations.

But ESPN almost has to buy feeds now, they have fired almost everyone who actually does anything in the last few months and well any studio "personality" as well.

I'm guessing Sky, like NBCSports here in the US, has an exclusive distribution for the feed within their UK area. That apparently was THE sticking point for NBC, they wanted TV feed only and any internet coverage to run through their app (as I believe they did with F2) and FOM/Liberty wanted the OTT coverage ESPN was willing to allow. Plus NBC is owned by Comcast and as good as their racing coverage is, it was one group of a$$hats against another group of idiots.
Old 28 Feb 2018, 19:28 (Ref:3804675)   #13
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I'm guessing Sky, like NBCSports here in the US, has an exclusive distribution for the feed within their UK area. That apparently was THE sticking point for NBC, they wanted TV feed only and any internet coverage to run through their app (as I believe they did with F2) and FOM/Liberty wanted the OTT coverage ESPN was willing to allow. Plus NBC is owned by Comcast and as good as their racing coverage is, it was one group of a$$hats against another group of idiots.
An an off-topic aside since ComCast have been mentioned.
Comcast have put in a hostile bid Sky out from under the nose of 21CF (Fox). They are offering the equivalentof just over a Dollar a share more than 21CF.
Old 28 Feb 2018, 19:48 (Ref:3804682)   #14
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I'm guessing Sky, like NBCSports here in the US, has an exclusive distribution for the feed within their UK area. That apparently was THE sticking point for NBC, they wanted TV feed only and any internet coverage to run through their app (as I believe they did with F2) and FOM/Liberty wanted the OTT coverage ESPN was willing to allow.
I believe what you mention was specifically called out in the media reports awhile back when it was announced that it would be moving from NBC to ESPN. ESPN agreed to there being an OTT solution was not run by them. I don't think NBC was going to agree to that. Especially as the NBC solution would have had an overall higher price tag (given they would run their own commentary team while ESPN will not).

Given the lack of traction of F1 in the US, I can imagine that if this OTT solution is at least competent and if they manage to actually penetrate the small number of existing US viewers, that at that point no regular US broadcaster would want F1 as OTT may have stolen away the (small) core viewership.

Richard

Last edited by Richard C; 28 Feb 2018 at 19:54.
Old 28 Feb 2018, 19:59 (Ref:3804688)   #15
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
i want to say SKY extended their deal through to the 2024 season.
Old 28 Feb 2018, 20:02 (Ref:3804689)   #16
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
An an off-topic aside since ComCast have been mentioned.
Comcast have put in a hostile bid Sky out from under the nose of 21CF (Fox). They are offering the equivalentof just over a Dollar a share more than 21CF.
Firstly, I don't think that Fox will be permitted to buy the remaining parts of Sky that the Murdochs don't already own because of plurality issues, etc.

But secondly, one has to remember that the Disney Corp have already started negotiations to purchase 21CF in it's entirety, not just Sky. My own view is that the only winners will be the Murdoch family who will undoubtedly be able to push the bidding price upwards.
Old 28 Feb 2018, 20:31 (Ref:3804705)   #17
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
one of the reasons i like an F1 owned and operated OTT services as it operates outside of this media empire conglomeration.

down side is that if Liberty's OTT service is successful they will probably look to spin off and sell up to one of these same conglomerates in the future.
Old 28 Feb 2018, 21:01 (Ref:3804712)   #18
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Standalone subscriptions are great for hardcore fans, and F1 has millions of them. But F1 also has a long tail of casual fans, and they can only be reached by air and basic cable TV.
Old 28 Feb 2018, 21:18 (Ref:3804720)   #19
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
Another big question about this new F1 channel, who will be the presenters and commentary teams?
Old 28 Feb 2018, 22:17 (Ref:3804742)   #20
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pole2pole View Post
Another big question about this new F1 channel, who will be the presenters and commentary teams?
I know this is a serious question, but I also see this as a softball pitch for those who want to toss out the most ridiculous options!

Richard
Old 28 Feb 2018, 22:34 (Ref:3804745)   #21
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
i for one would campaign heavily for davide valsecchi in the english language markets.
Old 1 Mar 2018, 06:21 (Ref:3804817)   #22
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Firstly, I don't think that Fox will be permitted to buy the remaining parts of Sky that the Murdochs don't already own because of plurality issues, etc.
My own view is that the only winners will be the Murdoch family who will undoubtedly be able to push the bidding price upwards.
One thing you can almost guarantee is that Murdoch has all bases covered to maximize his return be it a gain in money or a gain in power. Mostly he seems to prefer POWER!

The F1 subscription packages look to be just the thing I have been looking forward to, but doesn't seem to be destined for Australia. Maybe our disastrous NBN roll out makes in non viable through lack of band width.
Old 1 Mar 2018, 10:37 (Ref:3804868)   #23
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
Quote:
i for one would campaign heavily for davide valsecchi in the english language markets.
His commentary on last years F2 races was absolutely brilliant. 👌👍
Old 1 Mar 2018, 11:46 (Ref:3804881)   #24
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
I see they are reckoning on 5m subscribers, bringing $500M a year....
Old 1 Mar 2018, 11:57 (Ref:3804884)   #25
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
I see they are reckoning on 5m subscribers, bringing $500M a year....
That’s a lot of money. Does anybody know how many subscribers Sky F1 in the UK has?