Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 21 Sep 2006, 07:18 (Ref:1715227)   #51
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim69
If you read all the articles about this, it would appear that the roll cage was in the mud. Also there were proffesional firefighters and paramedics there. Sometimes the only option is to turn the car over.
Absolutely right Jim!
If reports are correct that he was sort of embedded in earth etc then how does anyone expect an extrication to take place like that!
Assuming his belts were still intact/fastened, it would have been safter to put the car back on its wheels (Or right way up in absense of wheels)
Old 21 Sep 2006, 07:53 (Ref:1715260)   #52
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There are slightly conflicting reports as to whether his helmet or just the rollcage was in the mud, but it does sound as though it may have been better to right the car before cutting him free and extracting him.

The BBC news item does say his family have requested for no more information to be released.
Old 21 Sep 2006, 08:02 (Ref:1715269)   #53
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chezza
Like I say I still can't believe they righted it with him in it...especially if he was complaining of back pain.
That's not necessarily a problem if it was a controlled roll over with correctly maintained c-spine control. Most rescue crews train for this. Ours even include it in the marshals training so that they know how to work with the rescue crew on a controlled rollover. If a car is inherently unstable or the casualty is very difficult to get to, this would be a standard manouvere.
Old 21 Sep 2006, 08:04 (Ref:1715272)   #54
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Well he's now listed as stable so fingers crossed that he'll continue to improve and for a speedy recovery. My heart goes out to his wife and kids at this moment in time.

He's got the best possible care so let's hope for the best.
Old 21 Sep 2006, 08:07 (Ref:1715277)   #55
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBlood
Awful news, hope the hampster makes a full recovery.

What was the record he was attempting?? 300MPH seems a little slow when compared to top fuelers and funny cars in the USA both running 330mph plus.
The UK landspeed record I believe. It's something like 300 at the moment and it was set in that car.

The problem in the UK is getting somewhere that's long enough to go faster - the UK is a bit short on huge salt flats!
Old 21 Sep 2006, 08:18 (Ref:1715291)   #56
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilPumpkin
The UK landspeed record I believe. It's something like 300 at the moment and it was set in that car...
Correct EP. The current UK Land Speed Record stands at 303.? mph in "Vampire" - the car Richard was driving at the time of the incident.
Old 21 Sep 2006, 08:19 (Ref:1715294)   #57
BlueBlood
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
BlueBlood should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilPumpkin
The UK landspeed record I believe. It's something like 300 at the moment and it was set in that car.

The problem in the UK is getting somewhere that's long enough to go faster - the UK is a bit short on huge salt flats!

Thanks EP, i have since found that the top speed at santa pod raceway up there is 318.95 MPH.

Interestingly the late donald campbell acheived 300 mph plus in the mid thirties.

Good to hear he has been listed as stable.
Old 21 Sep 2006, 08:30 (Ref:1715315)   #58
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBlood
Thanks EP, i have since found that the top speed at santa pod raceway up there is 318.95 MPH.

Interestingly the late donald campbell acheived 300 mph plus in the mid thirties.
Other faster speeds have undoubtedly been attained, but to set the land speed record there an extra requirements - notably that the record is the average speed of two runs in opposite directions set within an hour (to allow for the effect of wind I presume). THis is why the record is 'only' 300.3 mph.

Anyway, back to topic, good to hear that there have been improvements overnight. Get well soon!
Old 21 Sep 2006, 08:56 (Ref:1715339)   #59
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, NSW, or a track near you
rdmdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Best of luck Hammond, Hopefully we dont have to put up with the rest of the presenters without you for too long
Old 21 Sep 2006, 09:20 (Ref:1715361)   #60
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Clarkson is due to visit the LGI later this morning.
That should cheer him up!!!
Old 21 Sep 2006, 10:35 (Ref:1715415)   #61
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Get well soon RH, you're a top presenter and top gear needs you. Thinking of you and your family.
Old 21 Sep 2006, 11:44 (Ref:1715456)   #62
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze
There are slightly conflicting reports as to whether his helmet or just the rollcage was in the mud, but it does sound as though it may have been better to right the car before cutting him free and extracting him.
Today's Daily Mail implies that the roll cage saved his life. Just goes to show how important those safety features are and what a good job they can do.

Must say that James & the Hamster have breathed new life into Top Gear over the last few years with their "friendly but deadly" rivalry/views on life/cars. Let's hope Richard pulls through so he can pick it all up again, although even if he recovers fully I wonder if he will lose his nerve.

God bless and thoughts with Richard, family, co-presenters and everyone else involved.
Old 21 Sep 2006, 11:57 (Ref:1715464)   #63
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There has now been a donation page set up for Yorks Air Ambulance.

http://www.justgiving.com/PHRichardHammond
Old 21 Sep 2006, 12:08 (Ref:1715469)   #64
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The hospital are saying he is serious but stable.

Clarkson and May have been to see him.
Old 21 Sep 2006, 12:26 (Ref:1715479)   #65
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend
There has now been a donation page set up for Yorks Air Ambulance.

http://www.justgiving.com/PHRichardHammond
Set up at about 10.30/11am today and by 13.28 it's at £2869.
Old 21 Sep 2006, 12:45 (Ref:1715495)   #66
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Alfa Fan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
And now nearing £4000. Looks like at least something good can come of this.
Old 21 Sep 2006, 12:48 (Ref:1715497)   #67
jase
Veteran

4K? only has £3209 on the page (i'm looking at donations, not the reclaimed tax)

Last edited by jase; 21 Sep 2006 at 12:50.
Old 21 Sep 2006, 12:56 (Ref:1715506)   #68
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess it's good that he was actually complaining of back pain? If he was paralysed surely he would not be able to feel anything? Or merely cannot move anything?

ANyway, fingers crossed. Top Gear will not be the same without him so I hope he's out soon.
Old 21 Sep 2006, 13:10 (Ref:1715522)   #69
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidStHubbins
I guess it's good that he was actually complaining of back pain? If he was paralysed surely he would not be able to feel anything? Or merely cannot move anything?
I think it's better to hold off on any speculation at this point - at least in this thread. We could probably have a more general discussion about rapid deceleration injuries in another thread - we've more than enough expertise on the board!

Well that's our donation made - good to have a constructive way to show appreciation for the emergency services involved!
Old 21 Sep 2006, 13:13 (Ref:1715524)   #70
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes I saw the donation EP, thank you!
Old 21 Sep 2006, 13:20 (Ref:1715529)   #71
Crashfishy
Rookie

United Kingdom
A puddle.
Crashfishy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
-cries-
Old 21 Sep 2006, 13:22 (Ref:1715532)   #72
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
Awwww *hugs* there there fishy, its alright, he'll be ok hopefully.
Old 21 Sep 2006, 14:18 (Ref:1715568)   #73
Nighthawk
Veteran

United Kingdom
Swindon, Wiltshire
Nighthawk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Get well soon Hammond!
Old 21 Sep 2006, 14:19 (Ref:1715569)   #74
vw_nut
Veteran

England
hereford
vw_nut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i really hope he is ok, he seems a great guy and very entertaining i pray for him and his family
Old 21 Sep 2006, 16:30 (Ref:1715658)   #75
elspethhardie
Racer

Wales
South Wales
elspethhardie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelspethhardie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
latest news is that the hampster has suffered Significant Brain Damage but they are reasonably optamistic on a good recovery

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/n...re/5367616.stm