Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 4 May 2010, 11:18 (Ref:2684191)   #1
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
2010 Mille Miglia

Anyone on here taking part in the 54 hour pose in Italy this weekend?
Old 12 May 2010, 06:01 (Ref:2689021)   #2
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
It's overrated and a waste of time.
A great event spoiled from its superb days 10 years ago.
The new organisers have to get their money back.
No longer a must.
Old 12 May 2010, 13:42 (Ref:2689190)   #3
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Great shame, John. Would you care to elaborate a bit more on why?
Old 12 May 2010, 14:11 (Ref:2689201)   #4
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Italian interferance

and English hooligans winning under their noses
Old 12 May 2010, 14:36 (Ref:2689210)   #5
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Great shame, John. Would you care to elaborate a bit more on why?
Too many cooks.....
Old 12 May 2010, 15:08 (Ref:2689218)   #6
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Three years ago the organisers changed and paid much more money to be allowed to run the thing.
This led to more money making ventures being introduced so about 80 modern Ferrari's,driving gloves and all preceded the main event.The route has been changed to leave Brescia for Bologna and onto Rome before returning to Brescia.
The competition element could be completed in the car park before we started so it was virtually non existent.1000 miles of which about 10 miles were competitive.
You join a controlled procession and then stop for long periods and take 18 hrs a day to do it.Traffic jams in Rome and odd routes into the traffic congested centre of towns.The gastronomic bit has also gone downhill.
The good old days when I first did it where it was a press on rush through Tuscany,Umbria etc were superb.Much smaller crowds on the passes and Sienna was bare compared to earlier times.
Even the watch was tacky.

Its run out of steam .Bring back Tour Espania and makes Tour Britannia the bargain of a lifeline as their watches are so much classier!

You can use a Turner on Tour Brit!
Old 12 May 2010, 15:23 (Ref:2689226)   #7
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
what watch does Fred give?
Old 12 May 2010, 16:05 (Ref:2689250)   #8
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

The watch is some special make and looks good.
Their RRP is between 1500-7000 Pounds.
Not as flashy as this MM Chopard that could easily be used as knuckle duster.

Bottom line on MM-54 hr pose around Northern Italy.

They must pay Coulthard ,Mass,Hakkinen,Stewart and Tomba a fortune to do it plus the worlds No 1 Historian who having got half way round was not impressed.We helped this lot prop up the bar in Bologna Thursday night.
We got 80% of the way to Maranello and then couldn't face the final drag across Po valley to Brescia so took motorway
Old 12 May 2010, 19:49 (Ref:2689358)   #9
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It is one event that for us always conflicted with other events timewise. Judging from John's description, visiting is not really recommended anymore as it can no longer be considered as anywhere serious.
Old 12 May 2010, 21:06 (Ref:2689398)   #10
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I totally agree with John.
Its a poseur`s event.
The overbearing self importance of some participants is almost comical.
They keep talking about the "race".
I did it once in 2006 and would not do it again.
The scenery is nice, sometimes breathtaking.
You wait in line a lot and cook your clutch or your headgasket or both

Not for me, but everybody else is wellcome to it.

The watch was ok if a bit chunky

Rudolf
Old 12 May 2010, 21:19 (Ref:2689409)   #11
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
call me old fashioned, but if I want a new watch I'll go to a Horologists.

If I want to drive real roads in Italy, I start from home and do it when I get there ( which could be any time anywhen with my fleet!) 5 days out last time!
Old 13 May 2010, 10:42 (Ref:2689689)   #12
PBE
Rookie

PBE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Last time I did it in 2008, It was simply the worst event I had ever done. completely agree with JR and Rudolf. the whole event is geared around the convenience of the organisers and sponsors and they don't give a toss about the old cars and their occupants. I was pulled over by the CofC for driving too fast in 08 and he told me I was going to be heavily penalised. He didn't quite understand why I found that so funny - in fact it was the only entertaining thing which happened on the whole event. Conversely, I did it the year before with the old organisers and it was a mind blowing & brilliant event.
Old 13 May 2010, 18:33 (Ref:2689930)   #13
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the TV showed the event up for what it obviously is! No thanks,Le Jog is far more of a sporting event.
Old 13 May 2010, 18:40 (Ref:2689934)   #14
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

What television show?
The chef never really started so it wasn't that one.Just proved education is expensive if you have no idea what your doing and take crazy advice.
Le Jog is just bloody dangerous for other road users and open road regularities with long hours will mess up any events using public roads in the long term
Old 14 May 2010, 07:04 (Ref:2690168)   #15
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just the original MM then!
Old 14 May 2010, 07:12 (Ref:2690172)   #16
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
maybe I am missing the whole point of road rallies but if I wanted to get some mates together and drive over fantastic countryside and take in a couple of track days I would find half the fun planning the journey and certainly dont need to pay someone several thousand pounds for the privilege!!
Old 14 May 2010, 07:24 (Ref:2690176)   #17
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Simon,You are missing the point.Tour Auto,Britannia are some of best competitions of year and no you can't sit down and sort your own.Closed roads?
Try one.
They are competitive but need closed competition stages.
We are putting together another Alpine Run for mates next year and hope it is as successful as last years venture.5 days that fits in with Dijon ,Pre War and Pre 66 cars,no competition ,16 cars max and mates who know each other.
Back to subject,MM from eight years ago and before was a great event,just seems to run its course.I got dragged along this year as The Birch wanted an excuse to borrow one of my cars.You can do me a favour this weekend by screwing him as he's in your race Simon with one of my very slow bags of bolts.
Old 14 May 2010, 07:32 (Ref:2690179)   #18
simon drabble
Veteran

Is he in the Harrington? He should have bought the Merlyn and played upper midfield in Guards!!
re rallies if I had time and money I would look at them but I think it is low down the lit for me - personally the idea of your Alpine Run dsounds more appealing - stunning roads good lunches and proper hotels... I must be getting old!
Old 14 May 2010, 07:45 (Ref:2690184)   #19
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Off piste

I am old and like these runs and yes the boy is in Harrington with Mags Diffey. .He doesn't know what he wants or why other than have something!He would still be at back in Merlyn and he reads this stuff!Wants B8.

The Frankels are in Flav/Ness race with my 904 with you.First time out for them and the car hasn't been on a track until today's test with Gareth so should be interesting.

Tour Britannia should be one of things at top of your list with those Turners.
Old 14 May 2010, 08:11 (Ref:2690195)   #20
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
One of the attractions or the TOurs is you don't need a million pound steed, be it a GTO or a Fiat 500, they're all game

I doubt I'd have the other road going GT restored in time but an Alpine gastro tour type week sounds like it'd get the nod from the Authorities!
Old 14 May 2010, 08:15 (Ref:2690196)   #21
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Its mid June next year.
Old 14 May 2010, 08:18 (Ref:2690199)   #22
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

We can bring this back on track with a revised heading,

'What ideas are there for an alternative MM as present one is rubbish'
Old 14 May 2010, 08:19 (Ref:2690200)   #23
simon drabble
Veteran

coming back on piste what are the entry costs for TB?
Old 14 May 2010, 08:26 (Ref:2690204)   #24
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Look on Web site.I've paid ,I think ,as we have three cars,two in competition and me in regularity.Porsche RSL,Alta and Talbot.You can stay at fancy or cheap hotels .It's good.
Modena Classic entry looks very thin,that's a surprise.It's only three weeks away.
Old 14 May 2010, 08:30 (Ref:2690206)   #25
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
I think the Conto Ore is the one the Kennedys did in their Lancia, latterly the B20, they rated it highly.