Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 2 Jun 2006, 08:20 (Ref:1625215)   #26
Simon Adams
Rookie

Simon Adams should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spa 6 hours

The last two Spa 6 hour races have seen the Germans take big grid slots. This is a purely commercial decision taken by Alain de Faille. In addition, last year saw a number of traditional front runner pull out of the race at the last minute. In fact, a number had booked ferries with us then cancelled. The reason, they had been promised all would run on Dunlops and then with one week to go, found out that the Germans were on Yoki tyres. So despite all the promises, none were, in the end honoured. I was always led to believe that this was an FIA sanctioned event but when one looks at the entry list, and then sees what happens on the track, especially last year, one begins to wonder.

At the end of the day, this race is a commercial exercise and it appears that filling the grid is the most important thing. It becomes a vicious circle though - keep bringing in the German type group and you'll have less and less "proper" cars coming.

As an add on Simon, take a look at my Snetterton thread - you might be interested.
Old 2 Jun 2006, 10:49 (Ref:1625332)   #27
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
esper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Last year the six hours was not far away from having "fatal casualties" I think the organisers are perfectly aware of that. I will inscript on the regs such as they are now, If they change it one week before I will pull out, simple is that!
Old 2 Jun 2006, 10:59 (Ref:1625341)   #28
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFW
Simon,

have you seen the other races that accept sports racers....

you could almost race 6 hours [3 times]

if your car is upto it.

J
I am thinking about taking the Merlyn as well, what have we got? Cloth Cap, WSM (2 races) HSCC anything else?
Presume you are taking yours?
Old 2 Jun 2006, 11:04 (Ref:1625345)   #29
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I would still enter as I am in the Lotus Cortina this year as opposed to a sports racer - but if I felt in any way threatened by German driving standards I would not hesitate in coming in (and handing over to the next driver!!)
Its a great shame that the race was overshadowed by some idiotic driving and certainly allowing Yoki shod cars seems to be allowing in a certain type of driver rather than teh tyres themselves causing the problems
Simon saw you thread about Snett - I will reply there!
Old 2 Jun 2006, 11:36 (Ref:1625375)   #30
JFW
Racer

JFW should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I probably wont take both my 6 and my cortina, Ill wing it and see which is 'feeling good' just before I decide to go. Default will probably be the Mk6.

I have just gathered together the pricing wsm 500 th 425 hscc 375

I know who is getting my money.

J
Old 2 Jun 2006, 12:24 (Ref:1625399)   #31
simon drabble
Veteran

this is a common theme with WSM...... not like the days when Carol ran it, Julius you can argue doesnt charge a membership fee so can justify being more expensive than HSCC
Old 2 Jun 2006, 12:27 (Ref:1625402)   #32
JFW
Racer

Are you not a paid up HSCC member then Simon
Old 2 Jun 2006, 13:40 (Ref:1625467)   #33
simon drabble
Veteran

yes I am and that is my point - if you add in the cost of membership of HSCC to the HSCC race (obviously the more HSCC races you amortize the cost over in a year the less marginal it becomes) and compare to Julius' Cloth Cap race it is not always the cheapest race. Given WSM charge a membership as well that clearly comes out most expensive but they will justify it by pointing out that they offer hospitality (in the old days Gregor and Carol threw that in for free!!)
Old 2 Jun 2006, 13:43 (Ref:1625470)   #34
JFW
Racer

Didnt Fancy 500 Quid For A Year Of Rons Sarnies Then ?
Old 2 Jun 2006, 16:08 (Ref:1625547)   #35
simon drabble
Veteran

curiously it didn't grab me as a big priority!! To be fair to Chris and Rachel this year getting the Lotus Cortina sorted has been a higher priority
Old 20 Jun 2006, 14:46 (Ref:1637776)   #36
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Can we change the title to Spa 6hrs Meeting please? It'll save another thread.

Just been checking my schedule and it seems the Spa event is on the cards. Soooo, anybody going for the support races?
Old 20 Jun 2006, 19:16 (Ref:1637954)   #37
Chris Griffin
Racer

England
Theale, Berkshire, UK
Chris Griffin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Peter, is Barry SS running his 1 hour sports and saloons again this year?
Old 21 Jun 2006, 06:39 (Ref:1638194)   #38
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm told its listed but will try to confirm this weekend.
Old 21 Jun 2006, 06:54 (Ref:1638196)   #39
simon drabble
Veteran

yes it is - altho no FIA rounds
its
RAC pre 55
U2TC
6 Hour
Grand Prix Masters
Sports Car Masters
Sports Racers
Gentlemen Drivers
Top Hat
HSCC (2 x 30 mins)
and Barry's race
I cant recall if there was a 30's race like last yr or not
Old 21 Jun 2006, 08:13 (Ref:1638239)   #40
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I'm doing Top Hat, as has been said before, no membership fees, theres always hospitality, which is getting better, and they're a good crowd to race with.

Theres a slim chance I'd do U2Tc as well, but unlikely.

Peter . . .Top Hat for you ?
Old 21 Jun 2006, 08:24 (Ref:1638249)   #41
simon drabble
Veteran

to be fair to Carol Spagg - U2TC also has no fees and the advantage that all cars are FIA papered and under 2 litres (good for us in twinkies and the Alfisti) although BMW have been a surprise in terms of pace I gather.
I will sadly miss her race as the L-C is doing the 6 Hour but will use the Merlyn for the Top HAt/Cloth Cap and WSM and SRS and HSCC races so a busy weekend to make up for the lack of racing upto now this year!!
Old 21 Jun 2006, 08:25 (Ref:1638250)   #42
JFW
Racer

I'm pitching for HSCC and Might take my sports car as a backup. I think £ 50 for some sarnies is dear

J
Old 21 Jun 2006, 08:31 (Ref:1638255)   #43
JFW
Racer

Mind you with the kind of resources Drabble has to throw at racing [4 races and the 6 hours] I feel like low budget trailer trash...........

J
Old 21 Jun 2006, 08:35 (Ref:1638258)   #44
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Looks like Top Hat for me too. Although with Barry's race there I'll check the timing.
Old 21 Jun 2006, 09:08 (Ref:1638282)   #45
James Murray
Racer

James Murray should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is there a tyre issue here with all these diferent races for tin tops. Reading through this post it looks like you will need to take 3 different sets to be competitive in the various events, one set with dunlops, one set with avons and one set with yoki's.

Not much on offer for the single seater guys this year at this meeting. The July event looks good though.
Old 21 Jun 2006, 11:16 (Ref:1638342)   #46
simon drabble
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFW
Mind you with the kind of resources Drabble has to throw at racing [4 races and the 6 hours] I feel like low budget trailer trash...........

J
just means that my credit card gets smoked in one session rather than gradually over the season!!!
Of course some of us arent using our Merlyn's the week before........ ;-)
Old 21 Jun 2006, 13:10 (Ref:1638395)   #47
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
mines still smoking from Last year !

as for tyres Dunlops only for me, I need to sort the suspension out a bit better as fronts are being shredded in a few hours whilst rears last all year !

less ARB on the front will give a little more over steer and help that I think
Old 21 Jun 2006, 13:12 (Ref:1638396)   #48
simon drabble
Veteran

surely its Dunlops for everyone isnt it?
Old 22 Jun 2006, 18:36 (Ref:1639288)   #49
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly
mines still smoking from Last year !

as for tyres Dunlops only for me, I need to sort the suspension out a bit better as fronts are being shredded in a few hours whilst rears last all year !

less ARB on the front will give a little more over steer and help that I think
Castor? Or am I talking "pollox"?
Old 26 Jun 2006, 09:26 (Ref:1641429)   #50
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
got some Peter, but to get more means cheating . . . ie machine the ARB to pull the struts forward . . .then redrill the leaf springs and move the axle forward to keep the wheelbase within homologated dimensions.

or just turn it into a LWB Cortina and cut the front wings to clear like some other cars out there !
Closed Thread