Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 Nov 2018, 03:00 (Ref:3865932)   #26
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Ricciardo had a contract offer from Red Bull. Hardly 'not wanting' him.
Old 26 Nov 2018, 10:14 (Ref:3866009)   #27
GingerPixel
Racer

GingerPixel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGingerPixel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
He definitely is a big threat for the future. He needs to smooth out some of the rough edges, because he is definitely Lewis' big threat for the future. He definitely has that edgy side that Senna and Schumi had. It remains to be seen if that will always be the case or if he'll do less of it now
I disagree. Unless Redbull really hit the nail on the head and create a dominant car.

Lewis is on another level in terms of all round performance, consistency and professionalism at that level. At the moment, all of the other drivers dip into his domain for a race or two at a time but nobody is there with him for the whole season. It's going to take a lot of work/luck for Max to get there, and by the time he does I think Lewis might be sitting on a yacht with Rhianna.

no, I'm not a Lewis fanboy before you start.

Last edited by GingerPixel; 26 Nov 2018 at 10:34.
Old 26 Nov 2018, 10:34 (Ref:3866016)   #28
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
A couple of laps from the end of the race and Verstappen's visor is covered in oil from the expiring engine that he will be using next year. I wonder if his contract has a get out clause?
Old 26 Nov 2018, 11:21 (Ref:3866024)   #29
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Well they'll probably cross that bridge when they come to it
Old 26 Nov 2018, 11:45 (Ref:3866032)   #30
loon
Racer

loon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridloon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Well they'll probably cross that bridge when they come to it
Like the Latvian SS at Narva
Old 26 Nov 2018, 12:55 (Ref:3866050)   #31
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Verstappen is ruthless and arrogant at the same time expecting other drivers to dance to his tune. Senna was the same, MS and it is one of my greatest disappointments that their careers did not overlap enough for some real fireworks. I have a sneaking suspicion that Verstappen is going to find it very hard to win a driver's championship because of his volatility, other drivers now know he can be wound up and he will bite when they do it. In fact I wonder if his career is going to go something like Alonso's, he gets frustrated with a lack of results and makes poor team selection decisions. The next two years are not going to be easy with rule changes and a new PU, then the changes of 2021 and by then Leclerc will be up to speed along with a few others so the prediction of him winning multiple championships is for me open to debate.

He has come out of karts where aggression is absolutely expected with a move it or lose it mentality and anyone who has been involved in karts at a championship level will tell you that aggressive driving is the name of the game and these kids are carrying it into cars for good or bad. he is barely out of school, still trying to come to terms with being wealthy beyond his dreams and is living a life of expectation, when he says jump he expects people to ask how high.
Old 26 Nov 2018, 13:03 (Ref:3866053)   #32
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Verstappen is ruthless and arrogant at the same time expecting other drivers to dance to his tune. Senna was the same, MS and it is one of my greatest disappointments that their careers did not overlap enough for some real fireworks. I have a sneaking suspicion that Verstappen is going to find it very hard to win a driver's championship because of his volatility, other drivers now know he can be wound up and he will bite when they do it. In fact I wonder if his career is going to go something like Alonso's, he gets frustrated with a lack of results and makes poor team selection decisions. The next two years are not going to be easy with rule changes and a new PU, then the changes of 2021 and by then Leclerc will be up to speed along with a few others so the prediction of him winning multiple championships is for me open to debate.
Excellent summation, in my opinion. He's tipped too far towards the passionate side and that exposes his weak points, which elder statesmen like Hamilton and Vettel will milk for all they're worth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
He has come out of karts where aggression is absolutely expected with a move it or lose it mentality and anyone who has been involved in karts at a championship level will tell you that aggressive driving is the name of the game and these kids are carrying it into cars for good or bad. he is barely out of school, still trying to come to terms with being wealthy beyond his dreams and is living a life of expectation, when he says jump he expects people to ask how high.
...except he knows now that his race engineer will just keep on standing there
Old 26 Nov 2018, 20:28 (Ref:3866163)   #33
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerPixel View Post
I disagree. Unless Redbull really hit the nail on the head and create a dominant car.

Lewis is on another level in terms of all round performance, consistency and professionalism at that level. At the moment, all of the other drivers dip into his domain for a race or two at a time but nobody is there with him for the whole season. It's going to take a lot of work/luck for Max to get there, and by the time he does I think Lewis might be sitting on a yacht with Rhianna.

no, I'm not a Lewis fanboy before you start.
Lewis is a top class driver and he does have a significant car advantage and a pants team mate, both of which are bound to make him look very good.
Old 26 Nov 2018, 20:50 (Ref:3866173)   #34
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think we all know he'd look very good even with a stronger team mate. It's all too easy to minimise just how good he is.
Old 26 Nov 2018, 20:57 (Ref:3866175)   #35
Kempi
Veteran

Germany
Düsseldorf, Germany
Kempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah. Starting to get the same "criticism" TGF received. Would have been great to see those two on the grid in their prime at the same time.
Old 27 Nov 2018, 08:41 (Ref:3866268)   #36
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I think we all know he'd look very good even with a stronger team mate. It's all too easy to minimise just how good he is.
Good drivers do not always excel or even win, arguably one of the best drivers F1 has seen, Chris Amon, never won a race but everyone had the same opinion of him without exception. That Verstappen is talented is no secret but it takes more than talent to win a championship unfortunately or perhaps that should be fortunately. Vestappen flew his colours high when he turned right and arrogantly expected Orcon to back out of the corner and give him room and then to compound it raised the colours even higher by being a total and utter dill in a confrontation with Orcon. I know a few karters who being Orcon would have put a bit of left lock on, they are all as ruthless as one another at championship level. Every driver in F1 now knows how to wind up Verstappen whether he visibly reacts or not they know he will be an unhappy camper if he doesn't get what he wants. It will take a very good sports psychologist to rid him of a trait that comes naturally to him and that is being a bully.
Old 27 Nov 2018, 13:33 (Ref:3866322)   #37
Kempi
Veteran

Germany
Düsseldorf, Germany
Kempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Allegedly Verstappen did the move on Ocon as "revenge" for Brazil and finds it not just that he needs to do public service. I do not have a direct link to the source but the German site motorsport-total.com cites an interview with Servus.tv, the Mateschitz owned Austrian TV station: https://www.motorsport-total.com/for...12701?limit=32
Old 27 Nov 2018, 15:00 (Ref:3866335)   #38
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kempi View Post
Allegedly Verstappen did the move on Ocon as "revenge" for Brazil and finds it not just that he needs to do public service. I do not have a direct link to the source but the German site motorsport-total.com cites an interview with Servus.tv, the Mateschitz owned Austrian TV station: https://www.motorsport-total.com/for...12701?limit=32
It wouldn't surprise me if that move was made on purpose, young Max is proving to be a very petulant person just lately.
If it was a 'revenge attack' then he needs coming down on like a ton of bricks! No normal sane person uses his car as a weapon and considering that this was carried out during a live race, makes the incident even more serious that Vettel's deliberate wheel banging with Hamilton when behind the safety car.
Old 27 Nov 2018, 16:24 (Ref:3866360)   #39
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Verstappen: Combo of Senna and Schumacher?

I think part of it was down to the fact his car had the PU problem at the early stages
Old 27 Nov 2018, 16:38 (Ref:3866365)   #40
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Actually I've been pondering this. IMO he's more a combination of Maldonado and Vittorio Brambilla.
Old 27 Nov 2018, 16:39 (Ref:3866366)   #41
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!

jimclark
Old 27 Nov 2018, 18:26 (Ref:3866397)   #42
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Actually I've been pondering this. IMO he's more a combination of Maldonado and Vittorio Brambilla.
In that case, 'Be afraid. Be very afraid'.........
Old 27 Nov 2018, 20:51 (Ref:3866425)   #43
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Old 27 Nov 2018, 22:43 (Ref:3866471)   #44
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I have been trying to avoid this thread, but I think this is a winner post!

Richard
Old 27 Nov 2018, 23:03 (Ref:3866474)   #45
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

But I disagree. I don't recall anything malicious or petulant about Brambilla (it as a long time ago, so I may be wrong). I'd be more inclined to think of him as a quicker version of Maldonado.
Old 28 Nov 2018, 02:31 (Ref:3866509)   #46
Casper
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kempi View Post
I would be very surprised of they have not had a very long history of winding each other up judging by Orcon's reaction to the confrontation. It looked like he was very happy at Verstappen's reaction and he had been waiting a long time to see it.
Old 28 Nov 2018, 10:02 (Ref:3866557)   #47
drbob
Racer

drbob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Please explain
Old 28 Nov 2018, 10:34 (Ref:3866563)   #48
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Crashes too much and is a hot head.
Old 28 Nov 2018, 14:51 (Ref:3866613)   #49
S griffin
Veteran

Yet he also has won 5 races. Wait till he gets in a Ferrari or Merc
Old 28 Nov 2018, 15:59 (Ref:3866624)   #50
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapezeArtist View Post

But I disagree. I don't recall anything malicious or petulant about Brambilla (it as a long time ago, so I may be wrong). I'd be more inclined to think of him as a quicker version of Maldonado.
That was Montoya!!!