Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 2 Aug 2013, 02:47 (Ref:3284870)   #101
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
BobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Here's a Google translation (tweaked by me) of a July 20 article in La Presse about the ongoing negotiations for a new contract for the Montreal Grand Prix.

It sounds like it will be possible to reach an agreement on the amount of Bernie's fee and how it will be paid. But the big sticking point still appears to be the question of what renovations will be made to the paddock and who will pay for them.

The article mentions the idea of the city loaning the money for the renovations and then getting paid back from what sounds like a surcharge on the ticket price. Ouch! Montreal ticket prices are still fairly reasonable, but a surcharge, depending on how much it is, could be painful for spectators.

The Grand Prix in Montreal until 2024?

Published July 20, 2013 at 4:30 | Updated July 20, 2013 at 8:10

(OTTAWA) An agreement to keep the Formula 1 Grand Prix in Montreal until 2024 could be reached soon, despite the corruption charges brought against two of the main negotiators.

Denis Lebel, PM Harper's new Quebec lieutenant, said Friday in an interview with La Presse that, despite the events of recent weeks, Ottawa has always wanted to conclude an agreement with Bernie Ecclestone's company Formula One Management.

"The goal remains the same. You just reevaluate how things are going, "said Minister Lebel.

The federal government had appointed Michael Applebaum as negotiator with Bernie Ecclestone in this matter. But the former interim mayor of Montreal was arrested a few weeks ago and is now charged with various criminal offenses of fraud and corruption.

A few days ago, the head honcho of Formula 1 Bernie Ecclestone was also accused of corruption in Germany, in conjunction with a history of a bribe paid to a banker.

The ball in Ecclestone's court

The politicians did not seem to make much of these incidents on Friday.

According to a source familiar with the negotiations, conversations between Mr. Applebaum and Ecclestone were kept to a minimum, since the real negotiator in this case is the former Conservative Senator Michael Fortier.

According to this source, who requested anonymity, negotiations are well advanced and the ball is now in the court of Formula One Management, which must review some proposals.

"Ottawa expects to get the signal from the other three parties [the City of Montreal, the Quebec government and Tourism Montreal] to refer the matter to the Council of Ministers. And that, I honestly do not know when it will happen. It could be in two weeks, or it could be in two months. "

Speaking carefully, Minister Lebel would not set a timetable on a possible ratification of the agreement by his cabinet colleagues. He did not want to comment directly on the impact of the charges against Bernie Ecclestone.

Harper's Quebec Lieutenant merely reiterated the commitment of the federal government. For the rest, he said, it would be necessary to get together soon with the other parties involved . "We need to at least review where we are," he said.

In early June, Ottawa was accused of blocking the negotiations, when it had decided it would no longer agree to increase its annual contribution.

The agreement currently being negotiated provides for the indexing of the annual public contribution of 4%. At the moment, $ 15 million is paid each year to the company of Mr Ecclestone for the right to hold the Grand Prix of Canada in Montreal. The agreement expires in 2014. If another agreement is signed for a period of 10 years, taxpayers would pay 22.2 million.

Th Office of the Minister of Finance of Québec, Nicolas Marceau, has not responded to our questions.

As for the office of the Acting Mayor of Montreal, Laurent Blanchard, it maintains that the indictment of MM. Applebaum and Ecclestone does not affect talks for the long-term financing of the Grand Prix.

"The negotiations are going well," said the spokesman for the mayor, Jonathan Abecassis.

Renovation of the paddock

One of the issues facing the three levels of government is the thorny issue of renovating the paddock. Bernie Ecclestone requires renovation of the aging infrastructure, a project that cost 25 to 45 million.

The city at one time considered the idea of ​​paying for the track renovations at Parc Jean-Drapeau. But in the wake of the series of scandals that rocked the city hall, not to mention the debacle of the restoration of the old Hélène de Champlain, the interim administration would be less inclined to advance the millions of dollars required.

According to one scenario discussed in recent weeks, the City of Montreal would loan the funds. The city would get repaid by taking a share of the ticket sales, if the Grand Prix should allow a provision to pay back the city.
Old 2 Aug 2013, 12:22 (Ref:3284992)   #102
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The people of Montreal is going to pay for them.
Old 2 Aug 2013, 13:34 (Ref:3285012)   #103
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
No, no, no! I completely agree! I'm just trying to somewhat justify the position that Bernie (curse him) has put the whole organization into regarding track renovation. I think the track is nice, but it isn't simply up to the standards of Formula 1 racing... that's why he's demanding renovation. I'd keep it, personally, but I'm trying to give you the reason why some others wouldn't.
I won't attend Tilkdromes on principle so the available options to go to a F1 race are becoming more and more scarce.....
As for Bernie he's just trying to find and excuse to pressure the promotoers into more and more unreasonable costs.
He forces events to be run at a loss and frankly no one is doing more to bury F1 as a sporting spectacle than Bernie and CVC.
Old 23 Nov 2013, 03:50 (Ref:3335493)   #104
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
BobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Her's a Google translation (tweaked by me) of a recent French language article about the negotiations for a new contract for the Montreal race.

Unfortunately there is no good news to report, other than that the negotiations are continuing (so no bad news either). With the future of the proposed New Jersey race in doubt, Bernie and F1 need Montreal as a summer North American venue.

As has been the case all along, it's not a problem for Montreal to come up with the sanctioning fee, but it is a problem to work out who will pay for the $30-40M in proposed track renovations. Montreal has another new mayor (we'll see if this one can steer clear of corruption charges) and he will probably take his time in working on a way to pay for the track upgrades.

Dumontier wants to meet with Mayor Coderre
canoe.ca
Louis Butcher
No. 18, 2013

AUSTIN - After a brief visit to Austin this weekend, François Dumontier returned to his office in the City of Le Havre neighborhood of Montreal on Monday morning.

The promoter of the Canadian Grand Prix met with Bernie Ecclestone twice during the weekend to discuss, of course, the future of the Montreal race whose contract expires after the 2014 edition.

"We continue to discuss," said Dumontier without really wanting to comment on the content of his exchange with the boss of F1.

With respect to this topic, Dumontier wants to meet with the new mayor of Montreal, Denis Coderre, in the coming days.

"We haven't yet talked about it, but I intend to do so soon," said the Montreal promoter.

During his election campaign, Mr. Coderre has repeatedly said that Montreal deserves to keep its F1 race and that he would do everything possible to contribute to a renewal of the agreement.

$30 million overhaul

Montreal and the other three contributors (federal government, provincial government and Tourism Montreal) must spend money, lots of money, to meet the demands of F1.

Ecclestone is demanding not only an annual sanctioning fee of $15 million (plus indexation of about 3%), but also a major overhaul of the infrastructure of the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve, including the redevelopment of the pits and Medical Center and the construction of a new control tower, which will require another expenditure of $ 30 million.

The new agreement is for a period of 10 years, which would ensure the holding of the Canadian Grand Prix until 2024.

An agreement before the holidays?

"I can not comment on this schedule, continued Dumontier. However, I am confident that the matter will be resolved soon ... "

Completion of work in 2017

"We will complete all work by 2017, said Dumontier. Following the Canadian Grand Prix in 2016, they will begin the work. But above all, there needs to be and agreement before we can develop plans for construction and then get them approved. "

Dumontier also stated that at the request of the International Automobile Federation (FIA), some alterations will be made to the track prior to the race next year.

"We were asked to pave the gravel pits at turn 10 and the entry to the pits. That we will do over the next few weeks, "said Dumontier.

Three races fewer?

Incidentally, the FIA ​​will publish on 6 December the final schedule of the 2014 F1 season.

Of the 22 races initially planned, three will be formally removed, according to rumors circulating in the paddock Austin.

It was known that races in South Korea and New Jersey were vulnerable, and now Mexico may not be included either. For the rest, no surprise, except whether the final championship will not take place in Brazil, but in Abu Dhabi.

The great circus of F1 will visit two new destinations in 2014, Austria (June 22), the Red Bull Ring circuit belonging to the empire of the same name, and Sochi, Russia (October 5), the site of the next Winter Olympics, which will take place next February.
Old 11 Apr 2014, 02:17 (Ref:3390948)   #105
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
Here's a translation (by me with help from Google) of an article in Tuesday's francophone paper, Le Journal de Montreal about the possibility of signing a new 10-year contract before the F1 circus arrives in town in June.

The suggested terms are the same as those that have been discussed before. I'm starting to think this will happen. Earlier this week Quebeckers handed an overwhelming electoral defeat to the separatist PQ party in provincial elections. I consider that a good sign for the future of the province and the race.

Canadian GP
Crunch time for the Canadian GP
Louis Butcher
Journal de Montreal, Published : Tuesday, April 8, 2014 ,

If Montreal wants to keep its Grand Prix , now is the time to act. It is one minute to midnight .

At two months from the expiration of the contract, which will coincide with the arrival of the big circus of F1 at the Circuit Gilles -Villeneuve on 6, 7 and 8 June , we cannot wait or try to gain time.

The patience of the authorities in the pinnacle of motorsport has its limits. Though the negotiations have continued uninterrupted, the time is now to settle a new agreement.

And don’t think that the recent election campaign in Quebec delayed the process.

Despite their differences , the Liberal party and the Parti Québecois have always agreed on the fact that Montreal could not afford to lose the most important tourist event in the country.

The problem is not in Quebec or Ottawa.

Peace for 10 years

F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone, is demanding about a three percent annual increase in the annual fee of $CDN 15 million, paid by the four supporters of the event , namely the federal government ( $ 5 million ) , provincial ( $ 4 million ) , municipal ($ 1 million ) and Tourisme- Montreal ($ 5 million ) .

The new agreement , which would be valid until 2024, however, would be confirmed only if certain infrastructure renovations are made to the Circuit Gilles –Villeneuve. Specifically the pits, the medical center and control tower would need to be renovated at an additional cost of approximately $ 30 million.

Near the goal

But to begin this work , we need the green light, i.e., a signed agreement. Montreal must adapt to the demands of the F1 , otherwise one of the only two North American stops of this global championship will be removed from the calendar.

The deals is, it seems , almost 95 percent complete. We are very close.

Our sources say that the ball is now in the court of the City of Montreal . The lease between the developer of the Grand Prix, François Dumontier, and the authorities of the City has not yet been approved.

Mayor Denis Coderre is louodly claiming that he too intends to keep the Canadian Grand Prix, but he must demonstrate this concretely . And quickly, at the risk of repeating ourselves.

Dumontier

Moreover , many observers are upset by the idea of our governments negotiating with Ecclestone, whose trial in an alleged case of bribery and kickbacks, starts in two weeks inGermany.

As chance would have it, two days after the provincial election, François Dumontier delivered a speech this afternoon at the Chamber of Commerce Saint-Laurent/Mont-Royal in Saint- Laurent .

The promoter of the Canadian GP obviously took advantage of the occasion to talk about F-1 and the economic impact of approximately $ 90 million per year it is estimated to have on Montreal.

The timing could not have been better to raise the alarm and raise hope that the new agreement will be signed prior to the arrival of the the big circus of F1 at the beginning of June.

An outcome that seems more and more likely.

Old 14 Apr 2014, 16:05 (Ref:3392443)   #106
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
great pic Bob

just got my race tickets in the mail last Friday

ive said it before and i will say it again, the facilities are getting old and there are a number of improvements that need to be done so hopefully that can be found either between the various levels of gov't and those making money off of the event.

one thing i hope for is that some of the improvement money gets earmarked for improving the fan areas. a better and wider walking path around the track would be nice. small complaint though really.

perhaps its fair that the improvements are focused on what the teams need but some consideration should be given to fan experience.
Old 15 Apr 2014, 06:47 (Ref:3392647)   #107
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Montreal should revive the Questor GP concept and put $25 million dollars prize money to an annual Formula Libre race invite the Indy cars and F1s and anyone else interested in a one off.

Minimum weight 710kg, run what you brung!
Old 16 Apr 2014, 02:01 (Ref:3393103)   #108
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
Though it's not official yet, the Montreal mayor says a new contract will be signed soon.

Montreal to host Formula One race for another decade, Mayor Coderre says
F1 CEO Bernie Ecclestone also optimistic about a deal though nothing’s official yet

By Frederic Tomesco, Bloomberg News April 14, 2014

The Canadian Grand Prix will be held in Montreal for another decade under an agreement to be reached soon with the Formula One race organizers, Montreal Mayor Denis Coderre said.

"Sleep tight, it will be there next year," Coderre said in an interview Monday at Bloomberg News headquarters in New York. "We are in the weeks to sign. We just need to make sure that everything" is in place, he said...

..Bernie Ecclestone, Formula One's CEO, said he's optimistic a new deal will be reached to keep the race in Montreal, its home since 1978.

"We're in the process of getting things sorted out and I'm sure we'll do that," Ecclestone said Monday in a phone interview from London. "We'll be happy to be back there."

The agreement being discussed would last 10 years, Coderre said. Formula One drivers "love Montreal," he said. "It's a good place. The population is there."

Old 4 Jun 2014, 09:29 (Ref:3415134)   #109
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There is still no new agreement on the future of the Canadian GP. However progress is reportedly being made on a new deal.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns28158.html
Old 5 Jun 2014, 22:45 (Ref:3415959)   #110
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
I hope this report from a few hours ago is true and I think there is a good chance that it is.

Grand Prix to remain in Montreal through 2024: report
Posted on 6/5/2014 3:58:00 PM by Richard Deschamps

...A news conference is scheduled to take place at 11:45 a.m. Friday morning at the Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve, just before the first practice runs for this year's Grand Prix get underway — and multiple reports are suggesting that a long-rumoured deal between F1 brass and the federal, provincial and municipal governments to keep the Grand Prix in Montreal through 2024 will be officially announced...

Old 6 Jun 2014, 00:33 (Ref:3415987)   #111
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
The main French language newspaper in Montreal is also reporting that the deal has been done and should be announced Friday at noon.

Here is a Google translation of the article.

A Canadian Grand Prix for the Next 10 Years
Sébastien Templier
La Presse
05 june 2014 18h18

Barring a catastrophe, the Grand Prix Formula 1 Canada will be held in Montreal until 2024.

Everything indicates that F1 fans will arrange to meet next year at Circuit Gilles Villeneuve to follow what will be the 36th Canadian Grand Prix held in Montreal. An announcement to this effect should be made tomorrow at noon at the scene of the race, ending negotiations started there almost two and a half years ago between the different levels of government on the one hand years, and between them and Bernie Ecclestone on the other.

From Cynthia St-Hilaire, the press officer of the Tourism Minister Dominique Vien, responsible for the matter in Quebec, La Presse has learned that "we could have good news soon" regarding the future of F1 in Montreal. Earlier in the day, the CBC announced a press conference to be held tomorrow at noon at Circuit Gilles Villeneuve.

Montreal has the opportunity to retain the Formula 1 Circuit Gilles Villeneuve until 2024. To do this, governments must reach agreement with the FOM, the operating company and organization of F1 led by Bernie Ecclestone, to fund part of the improvements to the track, including renovating garages, the control tower and the field hospital. This work is estimated to range from 25 to 40 million $CDN. On the other hand, these same governments must also accept an increase in the annual contribution to the FOM. This contribution is now 15 million, indexed by 4% per year.

It is this amount that has been accepted by the federal and provincial governments, the City of Montreal and Tourisme Montreal. This sharing should result in an agreement signed in due time. Without this agreement, there could be no Grand Prix in the future.

It is now up to the race promoter François Dumontier, to formally agree with Bernie Ecclestone on the amount of an annual payment, which should be just a formality.

François Dumontier has sounded the alarm for the last two months, saying that "it was urgent." He worried that a signature between public partners "is affixed to the bottom of official documents." It should be noted that without an agreement, he lost in theory the rights to the event after the race on Sunday. Not to mention that a tentative schedule of the 2015 season is to be published in September.

But the imminence of an agreement between the governments everywhere from Montreal to Quebec, earlier this week, left each party feeling optimistic. "Negotiations are going great," said , Pierre Milette, chief of staff for Dominique Vien.

These negotiations between the government lasted for two years. They were significantly slowed by numerous changes in the negotiating parties. In 18 months, there have been two changes in provincial government, while Montreal had four mayors in one year.

It was not possible yesterday to get an additional comment from the sponsor of the Grand Prix, or from a member of the government.

Old 6 Jun 2014, 01:25 (Ref:3415993)   #112
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
[QUOTE=BobHWS;3415987]The main French language newspaper in Montreal is also reporting that the deal has been done and should be announced Friday at noon.

Here is a Google translation of the article.

A Canadian Grand Prix for the Next 10 Years
Sébastien Templier
La Presse
05 june 2014 18h18

Barring a catastrophe, the Grand Prix Formula 1 Canada will be held in Montreal until 2024.

Everything indicates that F1 fans will arrange to meet next year at Circuit Gilles Villeneuve to follow what will be the 36th Canadian Grand Prix held in Montreal. An announcement to this effect should be made tomorrow at noon at the scene of the race, ending negotiations started there almost two and a half years ago between the different levels of government on the one hand years, and between them and Bernie Ecclestone on the other.

Montreal has the opportunity to retain the Formula 1 Circuit Gilles Villeneuve until 2024. To do this, governments must reach agreement with the FOM, the operating company and organization of F1 led by Bernie Ecclestone, to fund part of the improvements to the track, including renovating garages, the control tower and the field hospital. This work is estimated to range from 25 to 40 million $CDN. On the other hand, these same governments must also accept an increase in the annual contribution to the FOM. This contribution is now 15 million, indexed by 4% per year.

It is this amount that has been accepted by the federal and provincial governments, the City of Montreal and Tourisme Montreal. This sharing should result in an agreement signed in due time. Without this agreement, there could be no Grand Prix in the future....

It should be noted that without an agreement, he lost in theory the rights to the event after the race on Sunday. Not to mention that a tentative schedule of the 2015 season is to be published in September......

QUOTE]

$15,000,000 with a 4% rise per year will result in a final bill in the 10th year of approx. $22,200,000 in the 10th year, an increase of 42% over the 2015 fee. (Assuming its all in USD)
Old 6 Jun 2014, 01:49 (Ref:3415999)   #113
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post

$15,000,000 with a 4% rise per year will result in a final bill in the 10th year of approx. $22,200,000 in the 10th year, an increase of 42% over the 2015 fee. (Assuming its all in USD)
It's in $CAD. The current exchange rate is $1US=$1.09CAD but the two currencies have been near par for the past few years.

Given that some races (including Austin) are currently paying higher fees than what Montreal will be paying in 10 years, $22M CAD seems like a pretty good deal.
Old 6 Jun 2014, 21:10 (Ref:3416359)   #114
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
Well, the rumored press confernce to announce a new contract did not take place (yet). Here's an update from La Presse. Translation by Google and BobHWS.

The future of the Grand Prix of Canada remains unresolved
Marc Tougas
La Presse Canadienne
Published June 6, 2014 at 2:21 p.m. | Updated at 14h51

It is still uncertain whether the contract for the Canadian Grand Prix will be renewed for the next 10 years.

An official announcement, originally scheduled for Friday noon, according to some media, has been postponed. And the press conference had still not taken place by early afternoon Friday.

François Dumontier, President of Octane Racing Group and promoter of the event, said no announcement would be made today.

"No," he replied, while heading rapidly towards the control tower at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve, when asked by the Canadian Press Agency whether a press conference would be held later on Friday.

Intercepted again at the exit of the control tower at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve, Dumontier, looking very serious, said he had no time to answer questions while hurrying along.

Normand Prieur, an Octane spokesman, said he was not able to say anything on when a possible press conference would take place.

"What press conference?" he replied abruptly, while suggesting to the reporters that they go enjoy the exploits of the drivers on the track.

Earlier this week, and again on Friday morning, Dumontier had publicly raised the possibility that an announcement would be made during the weekend. But now nothing is certain.

It is unclear whether the parties are awaiting the arrival in Montreal of Bernie Ecclestone, the big boss of F1, to complete the agreement and make an announcement. Ecclestone usually attends the Grand Prix of Canada each year, but his presence for this weekend is uncertain.

"I do not know," said Dumontier when asked whether Ecclestone would come to Île Notre-Dame this weekend.

In his absence, Ecclestone is represented by the FIA ​​president Jean Todt. The FIA ​​is the organization that manages F1 [BobHWS: I don't think that's an accurate description of the relationship between F1 and the FIA! ].

Thursday, citing a source in the government of Quebec, Radio-Canada had maintained that the agreement between the federal government, provincial and municipal governments, the key element to renew the extension of the contract with Formula 1, was official.

To ensure the future of the Grand Prix in Montreal for the next ten years, all levels of government must agree to share the annual contribution of $ 15 million, indexed by 4 percent per year.

Formula One Management (FOM), the company that manages the rights of F1, also requires major improvements at the site of the circuit, including renovations of the garages, the control tower and the medical facilities, estimated to cost $25-40M CAD.

C'mon Bernie and François, the Montreal F1 Babes beseech you to make a deal and give us 10 more years.

Old 7 Jun 2014, 00:48 (Ref:3416403)   #115
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
So now, according to well-connected Journal de Montreal columnist Réjean Tremblay, the press conference announcing a new 10 year contract will take place on Saturday...or maybe Sunday. Either way, I think it will happen. (Translation by Google and BobHWS)

F1
Grand Prix in Montreal for 10 more years!
June 6, 2014 4:36 p.m. | QMI Agency
tvasports.ca

The agreement ensuring the continuation of the Grand Prix of Canada in Montreal for 10 more years was finally concluded on Friday afternoon, according to Le Journal de Montreal.

Reliable sources have confirmed the news to columnist Réjean Tremblay.

After some last minute negotiations, the pact binding the City of Montreal to the head honcho of Formula 1, Bernie Ecclestone, was finally signed in the afternoon.

A press conference is scheduled for Saturday at 11:15. The management of the event has summoned the media to a "major announcement regarding the Grand Prix of Canada."

Earlier in the day, Tremblay wrote that "one aspect of the pact led to a standoff between the group of Bernie Ecclestone and at least one level of government. Some speak of the City of Montreal. "

Mayor Coderre holds on to his Grand Prix

At a special ceremony held on the sidelines of the event on Thursday evening, the mayor of Quebec's biggest city, Denis Coderre, reiterated his desire to see the F1 cars drive on the Gilles Villeneuve circuit for a long time.

"We feel that for the last few months a smile returned, it is such a special event. [...] This is a crucial agreement, and I've always believed in the importance of the Canadian Grand Prix in Montreal. This is an extraordinary opportunity."

However, he said that talks among the stakeholders rolled along and everyone moved in the same direction.

"We all kept talking and now we're putting the finishing touches on the agreement. On the other hand, I do not negotiate in public and I can not announce or deny anything yet, "said he added.

For his part, the promoter François Dumontier, seemed happy about the future of the race.

"During the last few months and especially in recent days, we worked extremely hard with the partners involved. I still hope we can announce good news here Sunday," he said optimistically.

Dumontier added that the cost of work necessary on the site of the race should be the business of the City.

"The city of Montreal will be in charge of the renovations," he said.

He [Denis Coderre] loves sports and wanted from the beginning to keep the Grand Prix here. That to make a difference. "
Old 7 Jun 2014, 15:27 (Ref:3416620)   #116
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Confirmed. Ten more years for Canadian GP. Official announcement soon.
Old 7 Jun 2014, 15:46 (Ref:3416628)   #117
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
Canada needs some decent TV Coverage then.

No Practice, Qualy and sometimes race moved to TSN2. No preview or review of the race, goto air 5 mins before start, after interviews. BBC commentary (which is OK), but loads of ad breaks which are positioned at set points, not where action isn't.
Old 7 Jun 2014, 20:31 (Ref:3416715)   #118
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
According to this, the upgrade to the garages will start after the 2016 race.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/114327
Old 7 Jun 2014, 20:51 (Ref:3416722)   #119
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I see where Bernie takes a percentage of the gate along with all the other money he gets. How can a GP organiser have any chance of making any money in such circumstances?
Old 8 Jun 2014, 02:31 (Ref:3416766)   #120
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
Here is Montreal Gazette columnist Walter Buchignani's take on the new contract:

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...146/story.html

Montreal gets sweet deal to keep GP until 2024
City will pay $17 million per year – cheaper than what most other host countries are asked to cough up
BY WALTER BUCHIGNANI, THE GAZETTE JUNE 7, 2014 7:28 PM

...The $17 million annual staging fee that will keep the Canadian Grand Prix here till 2024 is cheaper – by far – to what is being paid by most other host countries on the 19-race calendar.

Ditto the index cost of two per cent per year, according to the publication Formula Money, the industry bible into all aspects of F1 financing.

“I suspect there’ll be some local pressure groups that won’t see it this way, but Montreal is actually getting a very good deal,” Caroline Reid, author of the annual report, told me in an email.

“We estimate that the average hosting fee in 2014 is $30.5 million – more than double what Montreal will be paying.

“The 2 per cent escalator is also a good deal, as many circuits pay 10 per cent.”

At the top end of the scale, Abu Dhabi will pay an estimated $72.5 million for the right to host its season-ending Grand Prix in November, Reid said...

Denis Lebel, the federal minister responsible for infrastructure, interjected to point out, correctly, that F1 bestows special status on Montreal as the oldest Grand Prix outside Europe, hence the sweet deal.

Only two other “historic” races pay less than Montreal, according to the 2013 edition of Formula Money: Italy, at $7 million, and Monaco, listed at “zero.”

...The other component of the deal announced Saturday is a pledge to invest an estimated $30 million to upgrade the facilities at Circuit Gilles Villeneuve. No small change...
Old 8 Jun 2014, 10:09 (Ref:3416854)   #121
henners88
Veteran

Wales
henners88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
I see where Bernie takes a percentage of the gate along with all the other money he gets. How can a GP organiser have any chance of making any money in such circumstances?

Indeed it's appalling and is a business model that needs to change if F1is to have any form of decent future. Far too much of the sport is focused on greed at a promotional level and I think it's had its day. It's no longer sustainable to allow so much of the income to go away from the teams, tracks etc in such a way that in recent years it's pulling the sport away from the fans. You can't even watch every race live on telly these days without paying Bernie nearly 50 quid a month. Something will have to change.
Old 8 Jun 2014, 15:59 (Ref:3416950)   #122
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by henners88 View Post
Indeed it's appalling and is a business model that needs to change if F1is to have any form of decent future. Far too much of the sport is focused on greed at a promotional level and I think it's had its day. It's no longer sustainable to allow so much of the income to go away from the teams, tracks etc in such a way that in recent years it's pulling the sport away from the fans. You can't even watch every race live on telly these days without paying Bernie nearly 50 quid a month. Something will have to change.
Today's race is being shown over here on both BBC1 and SkySports F1. Neither Bernie or Murdoch will be getting 50 quid out of me.
Old 8 Jun 2014, 16:03 (Ref:3416953)   #123
henners88
Veteran

Wales
henners88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Today's race is being shown over here on both BBC1 and SkySports F1. Neither Bernie or Murdoch will be getting 50 quid out of me.
Indeed
Old 11 Jun 2014, 20:04 (Ref:3418895)   #124
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Clive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridClive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
nor from me!
Old 12 Jun 2014, 15:01 (Ref:3419264)   #125
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
my local feed requires me to pay to watch the BBC feed.

it seems someone is always subsidizing someone else's viewing habits.