Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 Oct 2021, 10:33 (Ref:4080403)   #2426
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Presumably the first aim of Skys F1 is to maximise the British market so you expect a British bias.
This applies all sports coverage in all countries
Try watching sport in US .
They do what majority of their specific market wants and that includes Ted K
Long May it continue!
Old 28 Oct 2021, 11:07 (Ref:4080404)   #2427
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
Presumably the first aim of Skys F1 is to maximise the British market so you expect a British bias.
Agreed - and it amazes me how much we expect people to ignore what they already know and remove bias.

Is it any surprise that those associated with Red Bull previously will refer to them in their commentary (Coulthard / Webber)?
Former Mercedes drivers will refer to them (Rosberg). Brits will naturally feel an associations and affinity to British entrants.

If I was to get an Australian feed in the UK, I'm pretty certain the same accusations of bias would be heard.
Old 28 Oct 2021, 11:26 (Ref:4080406)   #2428
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Now the Red Bull bias on Channel4 is at another level!
Helps basing their coverage from Red Bull HQ occasionally.
Suppose it helps when you consider how long Coultard and Co were on payroll and probably still are!
Old 28 Oct 2021, 12:08 (Ref:4080410)   #2429
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
Try watching sport in US .
They do what majority of their specific market wants and that includes Ted K
Simples.

I also suspect that most people mainly find it nauseating when they say Hamilton is good (they do and he is), but not so nauseating when they say Ricciardo is good (they do, but less so because he is not winning as much and he’s not quite as good).

My favorite drivers aren’t British and it doesn’t wind me up.
Quote:
Long May it continue!
I’m pleased the US takes the sky feed, although one day it would be nice to think it reaches a critical mass that it gets its own team.

F1TV allows you to chose a different commentary. I’m afraid they do have British people on the alternative too. And they have been known to suggest that Hamilton is good as he often wins the race on that feed too.
Old 28 Oct 2021, 13:30 (Ref:4080423)   #2430
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
F1TV allows you to chose a different commentary. I’m afraid they do have British people on the alternative too. And they have been known to suggest that Hamilton is good as he often wins the race on that feed too.

The problem with UK F1 TV coverage (the title of the thread remember) is that a British driver has done well and the UK TV coverage has mentioned it!

Bring back the days when the UK has a limited participation in the sport, and then the rest of the world can be happy.

ps - Sky Italia's coverage is something else when you want to hear extremes of commentary based on national success. There are times when Ferrari have been out of the race that I thought the commentators had left for the day. Other days, it's like they've just lapped the entire field on lap 5!
Old 28 Oct 2021, 16:42 (Ref:4080456)   #2431
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
oddly enough, i was complaining about how little they showed of Lewis particularly nearer to the end of the race which featured more Bottas (inexplicably to me). and earlier they spent most of their time focused on the Mclarens and Ferraris.

they tend to focus on the action/midfield a lot more then they used to back in the day imo.

even pre and post race they focus on the drivers who offer them the most time and access and that is rarely Ham these days and their features focus mainly on the young drivers to my recollection.

a few years ago every feature seemed to be with DanR and Sainz and now its Ric and Lando. they go where the fun is.

also i thought the addition of Danica Patrick for their US coverage was a smart choice so perhaps they will try to add a local motorsports personality for other places the circus visits.

anyways, perception is a unique thing with each of us picking up on things unique to our own situations.
Old 29 Oct 2021, 09:21 (Ref:4080526)   #2432
Derwent
Racer

Derwent is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
The briefer coverage with Lee and Billy was good. I hate all the woffle! Bike racing seems must more to the point. - Race, interview the winner, next race etc. I would like to see Lee take over from Steve Jones. He grates and it's not just because he is Welsh!
Old 29 Oct 2021, 09:33 (Ref:4080533)   #2433
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I like Steve Jones, he's come a long way, considering he was a virgin in F1 terms when he started. Certainly he gels well with DC and Webber and also is quite at interviewing various people in the F1 paddock. Although his catchphrase seems to be 'alright, let's go for a break'.
Old 29 Oct 2021, 10:37 (Ref:4080540)   #2434
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwent View Post
The briefer coverage with Lee and Billy was good. I hate all the woffle! Bike racing seems must more to the point. - Race, interview the winner, next race etc. I would like to see Lee take over from Steve Jones. He grates and it's not just because he is Welsh!
I agree with you that I prefer it this way. I assume that normal serice wil be resumed with interviews and filler sections etc when the c4 hilights are not being shown at such a late hour.

However, my Mum enjoys F1, but does not catch up on any news in the week via the internet, so she actually enjoys all the waffley bits that I usually fast-forward, as she does not already know the gossip and driver / team news etc.
Old 29 Oct 2021, 11:26 (Ref:4080547)   #2435
2 litre Touring Car Star
Veteran

Australia
2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
I agree with you that I prefer it this way. I assume that normal serice wil be resumed with interviews and filler sections etc when the c4 hilights are not being shown at such a late hour.

However, my Mum enjoys F1, but does not catch up on any news in the week via the internet, so she actually enjoys all the waffley bits that I usually fast-forward, as she does not already know the gossip and driver / team news etc.
That's actually a fair justification.
Old 29 Oct 2021, 18:52 (Ref:4080600)   #2436
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
There is a mixture, BJ. All the filming and the direction with the broadcasting rights are all the property of FOM with the exception of Monaco who for some reason are allowed to provide the filming and direction. The cameras and associated equipment are again the property of FOM with, again, the exception possibly of Monaco.

During the GPs, individual broadcasters such as SKY, etc. are permitted very limited access at certain times to the pits, paddock and grid and are permitted to use their own cameras and associated equipment for those purposes alongside their use in their commentary boxes/studios that they might have on site.

The commentary and filming as above is slotted in to the feed provided by the FOM filming crew who are responsible for providing all other coverage.

Hopefully I haven't confused you.

No, not at all. Thanks for the explanation and to crmalcolm as well, https://tentenths.com/forum/showpost...postcount=2425

That's more or less how I thought F1 broadcasting worked, though I didn't know about Monaco.
Old 29 Oct 2021, 19:34 (Ref:4080603)   #2437
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
No, not at all. Thanks for the explanation and to crmalcolm as well, https://tentenths.com/forum/showpost...postcount=2425

That's more or less how I thought F1 broadcasting worked, though I didn't know about Monaco.

You're more than welcome, BJ.

As for Monaco, it was thought for some time that Monaco didn't pay a sanctioning fee, but it recently transpired that they have been paying in recent times, in their words, a modest fee. It would seem that in return they were allowed to produce the coverage for their own GP - a sort of quid pro quo, if you like.
Old 3 Nov 2021, 15:55 (Ref:4081299)   #2438
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
You're more than welcome, BJ.

As for Monaco, it was thought for some time that Monaco didn't pay a sanctioning fee, but it recently transpired that they have been paying in recent times, in their words, a modest fee. It would seem that in return they were allowed to produce the coverage for their own GP - a sort of millions of quids pro quo, if you like.
Fixed that for you.
Old 3 Nov 2021, 16:45 (Ref:4081312)   #2439
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Fixed that for you.

Most kind of you, Peter.
Old 7 Nov 2021, 00:11 (Ref:4081884)   #2440
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Good grief, the sky coverage went way overboard on brit and eco awareness angles today.
Old 14 Nov 2021, 19:41 (Ref:4083470)   #2441
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
David Croft - STOP BLOODY SHOUTING!!!! Also, stop laughing at you own “humour”. ….
Old 14 Nov 2021, 19:48 (Ref:4083472)   #2442
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I DO NOT HAVE SKY Q OR SKY GLASS

and I never want to hear of them again.

Also: the TV direction was crap this weekend. Far too much time spent on replays, on a short track.
Old 14 Nov 2021, 22:19 (Ref:4083498)   #2443
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Croft is getting worse and worse.
Old 15 Nov 2021, 02:15 (Ref:4083515)   #2444
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Need like buttons for those last 3 posts - understand jingoistic commentary, comes with the territory but all the shouting, shrieking and giggling gets FAR too much!
Old 15 Nov 2021, 10:27 (Ref:4083563)   #2445
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Not happy with C4 yesterday, as i do not have the F1 sky package i avoided the bbc and anything that could give away the result before the highlights program but C4 news gave the result without warning shortly before the free highlights show, ruddy annoying.
Old 15 Nov 2021, 11:06 (Ref:4083571)   #2446
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
I listened on BBC Radio and found it quite annoying. They are obsessed with “controversy” and “rivalry” to the point of referring to the two drivers “hating” each other. They read out Tweets and messages as if simmering tension and argument is the point of the whole thing. At one point they spent several laps debating which of Ver or Ham would most benefit from deliberately crashing them both out. Jolyon Palmer sounded quite embarrassed on several occasions, as well having to correct basic mistakes from hyperventilating commentators.
Old 15 Nov 2021, 15:09 (Ref:4083616)   #2447
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
I listened on BBC Radio and found it quite annoying. They are obsessed with “controversy” and “rivalry” to the point of referring to the two drivers “hating” each other. They read out Tweets and messages as if simmering tension and argument is the point of the whole thing. At one point they spent several laps debating which of Ver or Ham would most benefit from deliberately crashing them both out. Jolyon Palmer sounded quite embarrassed on several occasions, as well having to correct basic mistakes from hyperventilating commentators.
BBC coverage childish? Surely not! Honestly I hope licence payers money isn't paying for the Radio 5 GP rabble They sound like a bunch of excitable 15 year olds
Old 15 Nov 2021, 15:10 (Ref:4083617)   #2448
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
I DO NOT HAVE SKY Q OR SKY GLASS

and I never want to hear of them again.

Also: the TV direction was crap this weekend. Far too much time spent on replays, on a short track.
Agree on both points. I was tired to the promo for capabilities I don't have (US viewers get the Sky feed). And I was amazed at the times they cut away from the action to show crowd reaction. I get the crowd might be enjoying the race they are watching. I also would like the watch the race, so please show it to me.

Richard
Old 15 Nov 2021, 15:22 (Ref:4083620)   #2449
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
BBC coverage childish? Surely not! Honestly I hope licence payers money isn't paying for the Radio 5 GP rabble They sound like a bunch of excitable 15 year olds

That's a fair description. I don't have a Sky subscription so I have no alternative if I want live commentary; after a while you can filter out the chaff.
Old 15 Nov 2021, 15:39 (Ref:4083621)   #2450
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Agree on both points. I was tired to the promo for capabilities I don't have (US viewers get the Sky feed).

In America we should be told what is on 60 minutes later!

Tags
pinks