Old 29 Apr 2020, 18:05 (Ref:3973667)   #1376
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWill2073 View Post
Between being the former boss's daughter to being a woman in a man's world, how much do you think her situation has been made more difficult for reasons beyond her ability? I imagine every sponsor, team boss with options, etc could potentially discount her as not up to the job, as many on here do, more because of how she got her position AND FOR BEING A WOMAN. So any sponsor or engineer or whatever with options might demand more control, a better deal, play more hardball with her and go elsewhere if they didn't get what they want.

Not that I'm saying they're all sexists or whatever, just that it seems a theme even here, whereits a group of mostly very level headed people to still kind of look at her as a WEAKNESS. Maybe Frank did not set her up with a well run ship to begin with, either.

What has her being a woman got to do with her performance? Many women operate well and are successful in the business and sporting world.

I think that the performance of the team, of which she is the head honcho, indicates there is a weakness at the top.
Old 29 Apr 2020, 19:02 (Ref:3973677)   #1377
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Monesha of Sauber, did she have the same problems? Hard to tell, because she wasn’t in the main helm for long
Monisha Kaltenborn, was Sauber's CEO from January 2010 until 22 June 2017 and Team Principal from October 2012, after Peter Sauber retired from managing the team, having already transferred a third of the Sauber team to her, earlier that year.
Old 29 Apr 2020, 20:57 (Ref:3973694)   #1378
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
What has her being a woman got to do with her performance? Many women operate well and are successful in the business and sporting world.

I think that the performance of the team, of which she is the head honcho, indicates there is a weakness at the top.
I thought I was clear that I didn't think it had anything to do with it. I was just throwing out there the possibility that in a profession that is more Male dominated than most, and one where dealings with businesses for funding and sponsorship, that through no failing on her part, she may have had a harder time getting her ducks in a row because of how others deal with her as opposed to if she was a man. Maybe I'm not making my point clear enough, I don't know.

If someone takes over an organization and before they even have time to implement their philosophy, or changes they want to make, you already see a downturn, that would point to me that the previous regime put it on a path toward failure. William's downturn was underway as she took over, correct?
Old 29 Apr 2020, 23:40 (Ref:3973713)   #1379
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Monesha of Sauber, did she have the same problems? Hard to tell, because she wasn’t in the main helm for long
It didn't help that she signed about seven drivers to two available seats
Old 30 Apr 2020, 06:59 (Ref:3973734)   #1380
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I thought I was clear that I didn't think it had anything to do with it. I was just throwing out there the possibility that in a profession that is more Male dominated than most, and one where dealings with businesses for funding and sponsorship, that through no failing on her part, she may have had a harder time getting her ducks in a row because of how others deal with her as opposed to if she was a man. Maybe I'm not making my point clear enough, I don't know.

If someone takes over an organization and before they even have time to implement their philosophy, or changes they want to make, you already see a downturn, that would point to me that the previous regime put it on a path toward failure. William's downturn was underway as she took over, correct?
Agreed but she has not turned around that slide in the 5 years she has been in the position. I would think a competent manager would do it in two years or thereabouts, Zak Brown might be an example of that.
Old 1 May 2020, 17:07 (Ref:3973994)   #1381
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Apologies. I misread your meaning.

I think Williams did OK for a couple of seasons after she took over which was probably down to FWs actions. The downturn came after that.
Old 11 May 2020, 13:11 (Ref:3975516)   #1382
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/w...ector/4790805/

I don't try to keep track of "who is who". Based upon the article, his responsibilities seems large. What is left from a peer perspective (who are his peers/same reporting level at Williams)? Can anyone speak as to this being a good thing or not? Any comments on why he left McLaren in 2019?

Richard
Old 11 May 2020, 15:08 (Ref:3975543)   #1383
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Any comments on why he left McLaren in 2019?

Richard
His departure was very low key in media terms. My thoughts at the time were that perhaps, after he was 'promoted' post Boullier's departure to be perhaps (in his mind) the man with a future. However Seidl was then put into the top job with quite a fanfare. My feeling is that perhaps his (Robert's) future progress up the ladder was looking remote and so he quit thinking another opportunity would come up in the pre Covid-19 period.
That is just my thoughts at the time of his departure and I'm happy to be corrected.
Old 11 May 2020, 15:14 (Ref:3975545)   #1384
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
He’s not one really in the spotlight. I don’t know how much influence he had at McLaren, obviously there were some big changes then. Now McLaren have their own structure and now have Seidl doing things his way. Glad Williams have Roberts now, shame we have to wait to see what he can do. Will be very interesting, only time will tell
Old 11 May 2020, 15:18 (Ref:3975546)   #1385
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
His departure was very low key in media terms. My thoughts at the time were that perhaps, after he was 'promoted' post Boullier's departure to be perhaps (in his mind) the man with a future. However Seidl was then put into the top job with quite a fanfare. My feeling is that perhaps his (Robert's) future progress up the ladder was looking remote and so he quit thinking another opportunity would come up in the pre Covid-19 period.
That is just my thoughts at the time of his departure and I'm happy to be corrected.

that sounds about as good of an explanation as any.

he has been sidelined since early 2019 though..gardening leave makes team rebuilding much harder then it needs to.

so one additional thing i infer from this is that Claire did in fact attempt to improve the organizational structure in early 2019 and probably right after Williams had its very public issues....and given the nature of gardening leave combined with F1 development cycles, it is probably fair to say that much more time will be needed in order to properly assess how she handled the 2019 testing/development crisis.
Old 11 May 2020, 15:41 (Ref:3975553)   #1386
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Thoughts on his role? What he owns and maybe more more importantly, what he doesn't own. Article says

Quote:
Roberts will join Williams on 1 June to oversee the team's F1 technical, operations and planning functions, as well as racing and factory operations.

He will also take overall responsibility for the car design and development process.
That seems like a lot. What is left?

Quote:
The team opted against hiring a direct replacement for Lowe midway through last season, instead giving greater responsibility to chief designer Doug McKiernan, head of design Adam Carter, and head of vehicle performance Dave Robson.
So Roberts is the Lowe replacement and those mentioned above will slot under him?

I will not tiptoe around my core question. I am trying to understand what Claire does today, and how much that might change with Roberts coming onboard. Will she be offloading some duties or is it more of those mentioned in the quote directly above (McKiernan, Carter, etc.) lose responsibilities and Williams will be less of a committee run org? I say all of this without really having a strong idea of the typical internal structure of an F1 engineering team.

Richard
Old 13 May 2020, 04:08 (Ref:3975839)   #1387
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Williams has effectively been sold,the old guard are quietly shuffling out the back door.
Its not the first time Williams F1 has been sold,to a Candian as well...
Maybe a new Williams team will make a come back with wealthy Saudi sponsors,and I'll dig up my old fruit of the Loom tee shirt to wear as well...
Old 13 May 2020, 10:26 (Ref:3975889)   #1388
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
Williams has effectively been sold,the old guard are quietly shuffling out the back door.
Its not the first time Williams F1 has been sold,to a Candian as well...
Maybe a new Williams team will make a come back with wealthy Saudi sponsors,and I'll dig up my old fruit of the Loom tee shirt to wear as well...
I thought Williams sold a majority equity stake in sister company Williams Advanced Engineering, to an independent private equity firm controlled by EMK Capital?
Old 13 May 2020, 13:01 (Ref:3975910)   #1389
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It might be fair to say that a change of management and structure might have been one of the conditions of the loan they were advanced. In fact it would surprise me if some conditions of this nature were not part of the deal. If money is loaned then the lender at least wants a fair chance to get it back.
Old 13 May 2020, 13:23 (Ref:3975917)   #1390
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
I must admit I've been out of the loop on the Williams F1 saga. So as it stands, Williams have not only sold a majority stake in Williams Advanced Engineering to EMK Capital Ltd. but they also have a loan from Michael Latifi's owned Latrus Racing Corp, as part of a major re-financing of the team. I wonder what they have as surety for the loan?
Old 13 May 2020, 14:05 (Ref:3975928)   #1391
Casper
Veteran

As I said earlier in this thread you can bet the lender has a plan to get his money back or at least a ROI with very little risk to him.
Old 13 May 2020, 14:19 (Ref:3975933)   #1392
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Security for the loan? It's all out there. The factory, the classic F1 cars, the family farm.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 13 May 2020, 15:44 (Ref:3975944)   #1393
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Security for the loan? It's all out there. The factory, the classic F1 cars, the family farm.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Classic F1 cars are a very specialised market and seem a speculative way of guaranteeing a loan. The F1 factory is the most logical, with the value of the equipment/plant in the factory, plus there is the value of the land. However, in the current climate and who knows how long this will last and the repercussions felt, commercial property prices have dropped. I don't know about the farm and I would have thought this was a family asset, though I could be wrong.

If indeed this is what is being put up for surety and Williams don't deliver, then they could lose everything and Williams will be no more, unless Latrus Racing Corp go racing and buy the Williams Grand Prix Engineering name.
Old 13 May 2020, 16:21 (Ref:3975950)   #1394
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Classic F1 cars are a very specialised market and seem a speculative way of guaranteeing a loan. The F1 factory is the most logical, with the value of the equipment/plant in the factory, plus there is the value of the land. However, in the current climate and who knows how long this will last and the repercussions felt, commercial property prices have dropped. I don't know about the farm and I would have thought this was a family asset, though I could be wrong.

If indeed this is what is being put up for surety and Williams don't deliver, then they could lose everything and Williams will be no more, unless Latrus Racing Corp go racing and buy the Williams Grand Prix Engineering name.
Collateral also includes their F1 entry apparently, so yep should the worse happen they will get just over half an F1 team for a song...
Old 13 May 2020, 16:41 (Ref:3975954)   #1395
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Yes, this basically the conclusion everyone reached when this was discussed awhile back (I think about a month back).

Richard
Old 13 May 2020, 16:51 (Ref:3975956)   #1396
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Yes, this basically the conclusion everyone reached when this was discussed awhile back (I think about a month back).

Richard

I did say I had been out of the loop on this one, 6 posts back. Anyway I'm up to speed now.

Last edited by bjohnsonsmith; 13 May 2020 at 16:59.
Old 13 May 2020, 18:43 (Ref:3975962)   #1397
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
I did say I had been out of the loop on this one, 6 posts back. Anyway I'm up to speed now.
Sorry, mostly calling out a month ago if you wanted to scroll back and see where the discuss for this exists in this thread.

I think if we didn't have a lot of craziness going on right now due to the pandemic, that this topic would get more time. I think it shows the rough situation Williams is in.

I think everyone has focused on how Latifi basically has potentially put Williams in his pocket. But what is not know is Latifi's intent. It very well may be to keep Williams solvent and independent. And he may very well just want future payment vs. collateral on a defaulted loan. But... if things go south, he gets the assets vs. someone else.

Richard
Old 29 May 2020, 07:26 (Ref:3979075)   #1398
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well now. This is a plan, but probably not the plan we were looking for...

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/w...-team/4798066/
Old 29 May 2020, 07:41 (Ref:3979078)   #1399
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Sad but always thought Rokit had zero real money and it was an incredibly high risk strategy.
Old 29 May 2020, 07:45 (Ref:3979079)   #1400
EastonNeston
Veteran

EastonNeston should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Giving notice to the current sponsor would suggest that either thay have a new sponsor wanting to come onboard or they have a potential investor/purchasor that wants a clean canvass to apply their branding.