Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old Today, 13:41 (Ref:4036650)   #1111
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice has a real shot at the championship!coppice has a real shot at the championship!coppice has a real shot at the championship!coppice has a real shot at the championship!coppice has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
But it doesnít matter what we think if those are the rules.

I might think itís nonsense that the speed limit on a quiet motorway in good weather is only 70mph but if I go 80 then I accept that I may get caught and fined.

I may think itís nonsense that I can go for a walk with my dogs but canít walk round a golf course hitting a little white ball, but those are the rules and society expects me to comply.

Itís a bu993r but itís tough.
I know that - but as far as I know it hasn't yet become illegal to point out absurdity ? It is insane that I can go fishing , as I will be doing tomorrow , but you can't play golf. I don't like passively accepting rules which make no sense - other wise we start drifting to 'just obeying orders , sir ' . Obviously I am not going to tilt at the 70mph limit windmill - that ship has long since sailed - but the current Covid rules are temporary and I'll be buggered if I can't point out manifest nonsenses in them .
Old Today, 13:52 (Ref:4036653)   #1112
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
It is insane that I can go fishing , as I will be doing tomorrow , but you can't play golf.
Agree, but by the same token, I have to accept it leave it to the governing body to complain about it (which they have) and get on with it.
Old Today, 15:02 (Ref:4036666)   #1113
Derwent
Rookie

Derwent has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I don't blame the government at all. They have to have general rules to apply to all without all sorts of exceptions. Most clubs sports will attract participants from a small area, motor sport usually involves people travelling a long way. I am happy not to travel until June if we can get rid the virus once and for all.
Living in the Lake District, we did very well at containing the virus at a low level until thousands of people decided to come here for day trips etc and brought it with them.
Surely a couple of more months staying at home is not much to ask?
Old Today, 15:17 (Ref:4036669)   #1114
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!
We have to take the rough with the smooth. At least things are looking up now. I do wonder if it would be best to delay a few more national motorsport events for a couple of months, but we'll see. The problem is some series will be more important than others.

I think the current timeframe for moving things forward should work. Of course some don't need to travel, so that helps, as others have need to for work. So things should move forward. We can't wait forever, we need things to pick up in good time and signs are we should be back to normal before too long
Old Today, 15:42 (Ref:4036702)   #1115
midgetman
Veteran

England
Rural Wiltshire
midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!
I look at it this way. I've been restricted in what I do for 1/59th of my life, and if the restrictions mean it won't be 1/30th or worse then hey, it's not that bad missing motor racing. It's not much in the grand scheme of things. There'll be some anomalies but the rules have been drawn up by fair minded people trying to do their best - whether that's good enough or not is a different discussion.

I'm not a conspiracist, I don't think the world government is trying to put in a new world order. I don't believe an untried vaccine is monitoring us through a chip sponsored by Bill Gates. I just think that various governments around the world are trying their hardest to contain a very nasty illness while balancing it against the everyday needs of the community.

I'd love to go racing, but if we look across The Pond where there has been mostly unfettered activity we can see that doesn't really work either. So on the whole I'd rather have my "freedom" curtailed to keep numbers in the health service manageable (so if I do hurt myself they have capacity to treat me). That's a deal I'm prepared to make.

FWIW a friend of mine is an undertaker, he's been a bit quiet through February. We're getting there, won't be long now.

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old Today, 16:50 (Ref:4036739)   #1116
Mike Crow
Racer

Mike Crow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
I look at it this way. I've been restricted in what I do for 1/59th of my life, and if the restrictions mean it won't be 1/30th or worse then hey, it's not that bad missing motor racing. It's not much in the grand scheme of things. There'll be some anomalies but the rules have been drawn up by fair minded people trying to do their best - whether that's good enough or not is a different discussion.

I'm not a conspiracist, I don't think the world government is trying to put in a new world order. I don't believe an untried vaccine is monitoring us through a chip sponsored by Bill Gates. I just think that various governments around the world are trying their hardest to contain a very nasty illness while balancing it against the everyday needs of the community.

I'd love to go racing, but if we look across The Pond where there has been mostly unfettered activity we can see that doesn't really work either. So on the whole I'd rather have my "freedom" curtailed to keep numbers in the health service manageable (so if I do hurt myself they have capacity to treat me). That's a deal I'm prepared to make.

FWIW a friend of mine is an undertaker, he's been a bit quiet through February. We're getting there, won't be long now.

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Well said!
Old Today, 18:30 (Ref:4036767)   #1117
Mike Harte
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte has a real shot at the championship!Mike Harte has a real shot at the championship!Mike Harte has a real shot at the championship!Mike Harte has a real shot at the championship!Mike Harte has a real shot at the championship!
I'm with you, Max. Having had to live under a far more restrictive regime for nigh on 4 months last year, and having a close understanding of the havoc that Covid-19 reeks, not being able to go and watch motor racing for a few mores, and that's all it is, is a tiny price to pay to protect others especially the NHS.

The strain and real danger our wonderful doctors, nurses and ancillary staff have been under and have been in since the start of last year is something that is so under-appreciated by too many.

There are far worse things happening in this world that puts these small and hopefully short-lived attacks on our personal freedoms. And yes, there may be some anomalies in the rules, but we just have to live with them for just a few more weeks.
Old Today, 18:52 (Ref:4036773)   #1118
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLancsbreaker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLancsbreaker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think a lot would be happy not to go to watch motorsport, but to be able to participate....... but I'm not going to beat myself up about it - if MSUK and CSCC are happy that we can do it, presumably after MSUK have conferred with Government, then I'll be there like a shot, desperately trying to squeeze into my racesuit...., but if not - so be it.
Old Today, 19:25 (Ref:4036776)   #1119
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Given the way the circuits handled things for non-Elite motorsport last year, I'd be happy to go back as soon as we can this year. At a track as a spectator with modest crowds where I decide where to walk (within reason) I felt as safe, if not safer than at the local supermarket or park where keeping a distance seems a challenge for some people.
It's therefore somewhat frustrating to see regular reports of parties, large gatherings and such like ...